Body-part typology

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Body-part typology

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

I've notice that WALS has two chapters on body-part lexical typology: hand v. arm and hand v. finger. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive -- and hopefully comparative -- source for body-part term organization schemes?

EDIT: also of value, comparative sources on languages using body-part counting systems.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Body-part typology

Post by vec »

Spanish and Japanese don't distinguish fingers and toes. I bet there's a wealth of interesting typologies out there. But for a list of them, I can't help you.
vec

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

I found a good survey in Language Sciences 28 (2006) -- its the special issue . . . I think the issue number was 2-3. It covers a few universals and about 8 languages, half of which are PNG languages.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

There's also "leg vs. foot", which is parallel to "arm vs. hand". But I also don't know of a list.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

I remember that Zompist discusses this (briefly) in his Lexipedia.

Quick googling, with the search 'linguistics body part typology', brought me this article (pdf) that might contain information that you're looking for.
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo