Spanish "masculine" girls names

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Spanish "masculine" girls names

Post by Particles the Greek »

I.e. those which end in /o/. I can only think of Rosario and Rocío. What others are there?
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Spanish "masculine" girls names

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

Consuelo.
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Amparo. Socorro.

Examples not ending in o: Carmen. Montserrat. Pilar.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

linguoboy wrote:Examples not ending in o: Carmen. Montserrat. Pilar.
And Araceli. And Aracelli.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

And let's not forget Remedios.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Lucero, Zafiro, Socorro, Transito, Milagro,

yeah, there's women called Transito. It means exactly what you think. no, i don't know why people think that's a name, probably some religious reason

EDIT: apparently it's about the transit of mary from the world to like heaven or whatever, since she ascended in the flesh and is technically the oldest living human that has not died in existence, according to cath theology.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

araceli wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Examples not ending in o: Carmen. Montserrat. Pilar.
And Araceli. And Aracelli.
But etymologically that's ara coeli "altar of Heaven" and ara is feminine.

Benturi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Benturi »

Dolores (plural of dolor (m) "sorrow"). Camino ("way, path").
Most of these masculine girl names come from names (advocaciones) of the Virgin Mary: Virgen del Pilar, Virgen de los Dolores, etc. I'm not quite sure about this, but I think the full names used to start with "María de" (María del Pilar, María de los Dolores).

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

María de la conceptión is one such name, usually used in the shortened form Conchi or Conchita. I'd find it really weird to have the word "concepción" in my name.
vec

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Benturi wrote:I'm not quite sure about this, but I think the full names used to start with "María de" (María del Pilar, María de los Dolores).
My Spanish sister-in-law likes to say, "Every woman in Spain is named for Mary." (Purificación is one of her middle names.) The singer Monserrat Cabellé has gone on record saying, "My name is María." (In full, she's María de Montserrat Bibiana Concepción Caballé i Folch.)

Benturi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Benturi »

I know several Carmens and Pilars. Maybe some of them are actually "María del...", but I'm positively sure that some of them are just "Carmen" and "Pilar".

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

linguoboy wrote:My Spanish sister-in-law likes to say, "Every woman in Spain is named for Mary." (Purificación is one of her middle names.) The singer Monserrat Cabellé has gone on record saying, "My name is María." (In full, she's María de Montserrat Bibiana Concepción Caballé i Folch.)
Ah, we have Montserrat too.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

araceli wrote:
linguoboy wrote:My Spanish sister-in-law likes to say, "Every woman in Spain is named for Mary." (Purificación is one of her middle names.) The singer Monserrat Cabellé has gone on record saying, "My name is María." (In full, she's María de Montserrat Bibiana Concepción Caballé i Folch.)
Ah, we have Montserrat too.
Who's "we"?

A friend of mine used to teasingly call me "Asún" because my birthday is the Feast of the Assumption. But my parents weren't German Catholic enough to give me "Maria" as a middle name.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Looking for the discussion of ascension in Christian traditions? Look here.

Lambuzhao
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lambuzhao »

Pues, tambien hay nombres no cristianos, tales como Juno, Dido y Safo, entre otros.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Lambuzhao wrote:Pues, tambien hay nombres no cristianos, tales como Juno, Dido y Safo, entre otros.
Those end in -o, but they are female (n-stems) in the source languages (Latin, Greek).

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

que, la gente le pone esos nombres a sus niños?
joer, tio.

Lambuzhao
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lambuzhao »

Tio Torco wrote: que, la gente le pone esos nombres a sus niños?
joer, tio.
I.e. those which end in /o/.
No te hagas panculico. Vease arriba, hombre galan.
Hablo de la gente no cristiana, es decir, los paganos irredimibles de la Antigua Roma y Grecia.

A roer, compay

Lambuzhao
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lambuzhao »

hwhatting wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:Pues, tambien hay nombres no cristianos, tales como Juno, Dido y Safo, entre otros.
Those end in -o, but they are female (n-stems) in the source languages (Latin, Greek).
Zafiro also came from a feminine Latin & Greek word also. The Hebrew etymon seems to have ambiguous gender.
q.v. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sapphirus#Latin

I could b e mistaken, but I don't think Araceli put this kind of historical parametric filter in place.

I might be wrong, but "masculine" girls' names is pretty hard to resist understanding as "girls' names that appear to be masculine".
Araceli wrote: I.e. those which end in /o/.
IMHO it seems she's interested in what the end-result looks like in Spanish, not what origins they happen to come from. But I could be in error.

Araceli, quid dicis?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Lambuzhao wrote:I could b e mistaken, but I don't think Araceli put this kind of historical parametric filter in place.

I might be wrong, but "masculine" girls' names is pretty hard to resist understanding as "girls' names that appear to be masculine".
Araceli wrote: I.e. those which end in /o/.
IMHO it seems she's interested in what the end-result looks like in Spanish, not what origins they happen to come from. But I could be in error.
Perhaps. My point was, the other examples discussed also exist as normal nouns and then are masculine in Spanish, while Juno, Dido and Safo are names already in the original languages and (AFAIK) don't exist as masculine nouns in Spanish - in Spanish there are always names, of female gender. The fact that they end in /o/ doesn't make them automatically masculine. (The exception among the names discussed is Araceli - in this combination, it only is a name in Spanish, but it's originally (in Latin) a syntagma of a female noun in the nominative and a masculine noun in the genitive.)

Lambuzhao
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lambuzhao »

hwhatting wrote: My point was, the other examples discussed also exist as normal nouns and then are masculine in Spanish
Indeed. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
while Juno, Dido and Safo are names already in the original languages
I cannot disagree here either, though, again, I don't know if your point and the Thread Author's point are one and the same. We'll have to wake up the geese and make the due sacrifices to summon her.

and (AFAIK) don't exist as masculine nouns in Spanish - in Spanish there are always names, of female gender.
Well... Sr. Juno "Junito" Cruz on Facebook at the very least might beg to differ...
https://www.facebook.com/junito8
The fact that they end in /o/ doesn't make them automatically masculine.

Well, to folks who know some mythology, like you and me, it's hard not to see them as anything but feminine. Yet I can think of quite a few people who speak fluent Spanish, who would think names like "Dido", "Juno" and "Safo" are as feminine-sounding as Quico, Ñoño, and Chavo. I should poll them & record it, "man on the street" style.

In a similar vein, we could go round and round about whether it's "el radio" or "la radio" (I'm referring to AM/FM, not circles), "el moto" or "la moto", depending on what country the speaker's from, where (s)he learned Spanish, etc. Personally, in Peru I learned them as la radio(fonía)and la moto(cicleta). But there were plenty of Guatemalan and Mexican neighbors in my old neighborhood, and oodles of Dominican and Puerto Rican neighbors in my current neighborhood, who swear up and down that it's el radio and el moto. :cry:

We are talking about Spanish here. /o/ is a pretty good indicator of masculinity in nouns and adjectives, versus la mano/reo/testigo/modelo/soprano.
The exception among the names discussed is Araceli - in this combination, it only is a name in Spanish, but it's originally (in Latin) a syntagma of a female noun in the nominative and a masculine noun in the genitive.
Amigo mio/Mi Amice, you raise some interesting food for thought, and I thank you again. I will reserve final judgement to Araceli Herself on this one, as the Thread Author. So I hope you don't mind my slipping in a little after dinner mint - the name Araceli is not a syntagma of a feminine nominative + masculine genitive. Rather, ara coeli is a feminine nominative + neuter genitive. A Latin syntagma of feminine nominative + masculine genitive would be mapa mundi.

Gratias tibi ago / Gracias :wink:

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Lambuzhao wrote:
and (AFAIK) don't exist as masculine nouns in Spanish - in Spanish there are always names, of female gender.
Well... Sr. Juno "Junito" Cruz on Facebook at the very least might beg to differ...
https://www.facebook.com/junito8
Good to know that it's also used as a male name, I'd never have thought.
In a similar vein, we could go round and round about whether it's "el radio" or "la radio" (I'm referring to AM/FM, not circles), "el moto" or "la moto", depending on what country the speaker's from, where (s)he learned Spanish, etc. Personally, in Peru I learned them as la radio(fonía)and la moto(cicleta). But there were plenty of Guatemalan and Mexican neighbors in my old neighborhood, and oodles of Dominican and Puerto Rican neighbors in my current neighborhood, who swear up and down that it's el radio and el moto. :cry:
You make an important point there - if we're talking about "Spanish", we als need to ask "what variant". In general, are there variants where all (or most) of the words in -o have become male, or is the situtation simply different in different variants?
Amigo mio/Mi Amice, you raise some interesting food for thought, and I thank you again. I will reserve final judgement to Araceli Herself on this one, as the Thread Author. So I hope you don't mind my slipping in a little after dinner mint - the name Araceli is not a syntagma of a feminine nominative + masculine genitive. Rather, ara coeli is a feminine nominative + neuter genitive. A Latin syntagma of feminine nominative + masculine genitive would be mapa mundi.
You're right, of course, I shouldn't post when half asleep.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Lambuzhao wrote:
I wrote: I.e. those which end in /o/.

Araceli, quid dicis?
Actually, I originally just wanted to know how many Spanish girls' names ended in /o/. But then the thread got more interesting.

Lambuzhao
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lambuzhao »

¡Ave María Purísima!

Well, masculine-looking or not, I happen to like the name Araceli, and the place Ara Coeli it comes from. I have been there in Rome, actually. I wound up there with my sister after we were separated and "lost" from our little group of tourists (well.... "lost" in the same sort of way the Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith used to get "lost", but having interesting adventures nonetheless). Strange but true, there was something inside the church of Santa Maria de Aracoeli that changed my life forever. If your curious, you can actually read about some of what happened afterward in the Klingon fanzine Battle Lines. Google it and my qaplatastic old nom de piqaD Qis loDnl'.

Still crazy, after all those years.
:wink: