Complex morphophonology

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Complex morphophonology

Post by Trebor »

I'd like to learn more about complex morphophonology in polysynthetic tongues of the Americas, such as the alternations demonstrated in Hocak-language examples provided throughout this paper (PDF).

However, thus far I have had little success in finding comprehensive descriptions online for any native-American natlangs. In addition, the information available in print books would probably be very difficult to access, given that OCR software (e.g., Kurzweil, the program I use) cannot handle all the odd symbols that one would expect are employed in such works.

Thanks,
Trebor

----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Complex morphophonology

Post by ---- »

Arapaho might be an interesting language for you to check out. Historically, several of the consonants went through a split where they were either velarized or palatalized, and there's also a system of vowel harmony (which is intimately related to the way the consonants behave). So, at the end of many morphemes, these splits still show up when certain suffixes are added. A couple other morphophonemic processes occur, but in my opinion they're not as astounding as the consonant/vowel alternations.

I don't know if you'll be able to view this:
http://www.colorado.edu/csilw/research/Lets%20Learn.pdf

but it's the most complete thing I'm able to link to ya. I have access to The Arapaho Language by Cowell and Moss through my university but there doesn't seem to be a feasible way for me to share it unfortunately.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Complex morphophonology

Post by CatDoom »

I posted a bunch of morphophonemic alternations found in Kashaya Pomo verbal affixes in this thread some time ago. My source is Theoretical Aspects of Kashaya Phonology and Morphology by Eugene Buckley, which seems to be the standard reference with regard to Kashaya morphology and morphophonemics. I might be able to provide more info, but unfortunately I took all my notes by hand and I don't have them with me at the moment.