voice/trigger systems in austonesian langs

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

voice/trigger systems in austonesian langs

Post by Vardelm »

I've been looking at Austronesian alignment and voice/trigger systems lately. I'm familiar with the Malay triggers (seen on the Malay Wikipedia page and this Malay grammar), and also the Tagalog triggers (on the Tagalog Wikipedia page). So far, I haven't found any other grammars that show similar systems of affixes used as triggers. If possible, I'd like to see a few more, hopefully that are as different from Malay & Tagalog as Malay & Tagalog are from each other. Does anyone know of any?
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: voice/trigger systems in austonesian langs

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

I asked a similar question on the board about a year ago and got some pretty good resources. One in particular was a survey of various "trigger" systems . . . I cannot find it at the moment, but I will edit and add it if I do. Otherwise, this might help:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~eivs/papers.html
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

Thanks. That at least gives me a few more languages to look for. In particular, "Soqotri, a South Arabian language of Yemen" sounds interesting. I'm curious to see how much Semitic vs. Austronesian influences it might have.

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

Raholeun
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Raholeun »

It is fairly easy to find outstanding resources on austronesian voice systems. I highly recommend Robert Blust: The Austronesian Languages (2009) and Adelaar: The Austronesian languages of Asia and Madagascar (2004?) for a fairly thorough and encompassing overview.
language LNK. cover

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

Raholeun wrote:It is fairly easy to find outstanding resources on austronesian voice systems. I highly recommend Robert Blust: The Austronesian Languages (2009) and Adelaar: The Austronesian languages of Asia and Madagascar (2004?) for a fairly thorough and encompassing overview.
Thank you! A quick search for the book by Blust led me right to a full PDF file. Looks really good!

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Also, if you want a theoretical perspective on a not-trigger but interested voice system from Acehnese, check out Julie Anne Legate's "Voice and v
Lessons from Acehnese"