Diaeresis in English ortography

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Diaeresis in English ortography

Post by jal »

I recently encountered this article, which uses "reëstablished" with a diaeresis. I've never seen this before - is this as uncommon as I think it is? Is it proper English ortography at all?

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Diaeresis in English ortography

Post by sirdanilot »

I think it's more archaic than anything else. Re-established is the current orthography. The use of slightly archaïc spelling can help emphasize the eloquence and literacy of the writer.

Valdeut
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Valdeut »

It is quite famously part of the style of the The New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... -diaeresis

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Valdeut wrote:It is quite famously part of the style of the The New Yorker
Right. Idiots... And thanks.

JAL

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

As sirdanilot said, it's mostly an older custom. You'll also see spellings like "coöperation." Most modern printings even of older works will leave out the diaeresis; I don't think even Tolkien uses them.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Fixsme
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Fixsme »

The author should have worked more on the matter and less on diaeresis. To me, this article is rubbish: his facts are wrong.

Though I didn't know about the ë in English, I will sleep less stupid tonight. :)

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Zaarin wrote:As sirdanilot said, it's mostly an older custom. You'll also see spellings like "coöperation." Most modern printings even of older works will leave out the diaeresis; I don't think even Tolkien uses them.
except for the elven names of course

Also the writer Brontë is an example of diaeresis though I don't know where the name comes from originally.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

sirdanilot wrote:
Zaarin wrote:As sirdanilot said, it's mostly an older custom. You'll also see spellings like "coöperation." Most modern printings even of older works will leave out the diaeresis; I don't think even Tolkien uses them.
except for the elven names of course

Also the writer Brontë is an example of diaeresis though I don't know where the name comes from originally.
Yes, though Tolkien's Elvish <ë> and the <ë> in the Sisters Brontë are to indicate a pronounced final e rather than to distinguish a diphthong or pronounced double vowel; Tolkien doesn't use the diaeresis for the latter. According to Wikipedia the Brontës were of Irish origin and the diaeresis was apparently added by their father for unknown reasons (beyond the obvious of indicated the name has two syllables).

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Zaarin wrote:Yes, though Tolkien's Elvish <ë> and the <ë> in the Sisters Brontë are to indicate a pronounced final e rather than to distinguish a diphthong or pronounced double vowel; Tolkien doesn't use the diaeresis for the latter.
He uses it in ëa, ëo, öe. Although, given that there aren't any such diphthongs, what purpose this serves is beyond me.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Yes, though Tolkien's Elvish <ë> and the <ë> in the Sisters Brontë are to indicate a pronounced final e rather than to distinguish a diphthong or pronounced double vowel; Tolkien doesn't use the diaeresis for the latter.
He uses it in ëa, ëo, öe. Although, given that there aren't any such diphthongs, what purpose this serves is beyond me.
It's use there is the same as its use in other Tolkien names and in the names "Brontë" and "Anaïs" and in words like "coöperate" and "reëstablish"-- they all indicate that a vowel is pronounced independently. This is the normal use of the diaeresis diacritic in English.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Xephyr wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:
It's use there is the same as its use in other Tolkien names and in the names "Brontë" and "Anaïs" and in words like "coöperate" and "reëstablish"-- they all indicate that a vowel is pronounced independently. This is the normal use of the diaeresis diacritic in English.
But English doesn't have ⟨eo⟩. The worst I'd think people would mispronounce e.g. Eol is /iːɔl/, which is probably about what they'd pronounce Eöl anyway.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:He uses it in ëa, ëo, öe. Although, given that there aren't any such diphthongs, what purpose this serves is beyond me.
It's nothing to do with diphthongs-- it's as Xephyr says, it means the vowel is pronounced separately.

And all three sequences occur in English: bread, meat, gorgeous, leopard, goes, shoe.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

zompist wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:He uses it in ëa, ëo, öe. Although, given that there aren't any such diphthongs, what purpose this serves is beyond me.
It's nothing to do with diphthongs-- it's as Xephyr says, it means the vowel is pronounced separately.

And all three sequences occur in English: bread, meat, gorgeous, leopard, goes, shoe.
No, I mean, there's no diphthongs spelled ⟨ea eo oe⟩ in Quenya. The question is: why are those three marked with a diaeresis, and not, say, ⟨oa⟩? That's more likely to be confused than ⟨oe⟩ (which actually only gets marked in one word in Quenya AFAIK, and it's not a final position; so your last example doesn't apply, and the other two English examples of ⟨oe⟩ are pretty irregular. As well as "gorgeous" which really isn't a diphthong as much as silent e + ou.)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I assumed it was for English speakers, not Elvish ones. I imagine it only took one hearing of /ˈi rən dɪl/ to get Tolkien to spell it Eärendil.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Following up on Cev's remark - the diaeresis is still commonly used in English. It just isn't still commonly used where the two vowels have come together across a morpheme boundary. You do still see it in unusual names - Brontë, Anaïs, Thaïs, Laocoön, traditionally Boeötia; names like Chloë and Zoë often drop the diaeresis these days but they're still very often seen with them (it can be a marker of class - Zoë is likely to be from a better family than plain Zoe). There are also some words that are often found with the diaeresis, of which the most common I think is 'naïve'.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

zompist wrote:I assumed it was for English speakers, not Elvish ones. I imagine it only took one hearing of /ˈi rən dɪl/ to get Tolkien to spell it Eärendil.
Especially since the Elves would have spelled it with Cirth or Tengwar, depending on the time frame.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

zompist wrote:I assumed it was for English speakers, not Elvish ones. I imagine it only took one hearing of /ˈi rən dɪl/ to get Tolkien to spell it Eärendil.
If it was meant for English speakers, then it ought to rather be spelt “Eh-ah-REHN-deel”. :P
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

pdusen
Niš
Niš

Post by pdusen »

Until this thread, I have never seen a diaeresis used in English, so I think calling it common is probably overstating the matter.

Still, it's cool to know about.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I think I have seen 'naïve' very occasionally though not using the dots is way more common.I think.

I suppose that there aren't too many languages commonly using the Latin script that virtually never use any form of diacritics. Mostly austronesian languages like Bahasa Indonesia and languages with very small phoneme inventories like Hawai'i I think (though then they do use a fest of apostrophes for the glottal stops). Dutch is relatively poor in diacritics use but makes extensive use of diaeresis marks, and retains diacritics mostly when borrowing words from languages like French.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

sirdanilot wrote:I think I have seen 'naïve' very occasionally though not using the dots is way more common.I think.

I suppose that there aren't too many languages commonly using the Latin script that virtually never use any form of diacritics. Mostly austronesian languages like Bahasa Indonesia and languages with very small phoneme inventories like Hawai'i I think (though then they do use a fest of apostrophes for the glottal stops). Dutch is relatively poor in diacritics use but makes extensive use of diaeresis marks, and retains diacritics mostly when borrowing words from languages like French.
In common use perhaps, but in most forms of publication I generally see the diacritic included on such words as "naïve" and "café," at least here in the US. Or perhaps it's just the printed publications I tend to read. At any rate, I see such words with diacritics included quite commonly.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:Dutch is relatively poor in diacritics use but makes extensive use of diaeresis marks
I wouldn't say "extensive". Yes, it is used, but there aren't *that* many words that have colliding vowels, plus after the spelling reform of '95 (or the likes), compounds no longer get the diaeresis but a hyphen instead.

JAL

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

theäter
reälity
beaütiful
fluïd
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Tropylium wrote:fluïd
The others I understand, but why fluid? There's no "ui" in English otherwise, is there?

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

jal wrote:
Tropylium wrote:fluïd
The others I understand, but why fluid? There's no "ui" in English otherwise, is there?
Sure there is. It can be /wi/ as in quilt, /ai/ as in guile, /uw/ as in bruise, or /i/ as in biscuit, among other possibilities.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Tropylium wrote:theäter
reälity
beaütiful
fluïd
...Are these really a thing? I may have seen "theäter" before somewhere, but the other's look like heavy metal umlauts or the name of a pretentious club or salon... ;)