Please call Stella — Polish edition

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Please call Stella — Polish edition

Post by Pole, the »

(This is a sample of vernacular Polish, adjusted to contain some less frequent sequences of phonemes. For the phonological transcription, I used a slightly modified analysis — for a traditional convention, replace /i iɛ ia iɔ iu/ with /ʲi ʲɛ ʲa ʲɔ ʲu/.)

Kiedy się do nas wybierasz?
Potrzeby w sumie nie ma, bo jest dość ludzi, chyba że mógłbyś zostać do poniedziałku.
Mają przyjechać we wtorek i w środę rano zaczynamy hieroglify.
Siódmego Łucja wyjeżdża, ale od piątku do niedzieli będą Szymon i jego przyjaciółka.
Wyślij mejla, bo musiałbym zadzwonić za noclegiem.

/kiɛdɨ ɕɛ dɔ nas vɨbiɛras̠ (↗)
|| pɔts̠s̠ɛbɨ f sumiɛ ɲɛ ma | bɔ jɛst dɔɕtɕ ludʑi | xɨba z̠ɛ muɡwbɨɕ zɔstatɕ dɔ pɔɲɛdʑawku
|| majɔw̃ ps̠ɨjɛxatɕ vɛ ftɔrɛk i f ɕrɔdɛ ranɔ zats̠ɨnamɨ xiɛrɔɡlifɨ
|| ɕudmɛɡɔ wutsja vɨjɛz̠dz̠a | alɛ ɔt piɔntku dɔ ɲɛdʑɛli bɛndɔw̃ s̠ɨmɔn i jɛɡɔ ps̠ɨjatɕuwka
|| vɨɕlij mɛjla | bɔ muɕawbɨm zadzvɔɲitɕ za nɔtslɛɡiɛm/

When are you visiting us?
There is no urgent need because there is enough people, unless you could stay until Monday.
They should arrive on Tuesday and we are starting on Wednesday morning with hieroglyphs.
Łucja is leaving on the seventh of this month, but from Friday to Sunday there will be Szymon and his friend.
Send me an e-mail so I can call somebody for the accommodation.

Recording of me (native Pole) pronouncing it.
Last edited by Pole, the on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Please call Stella — Polish edition

Post by Boşkoventi »

y u talk so fast
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Actually, I speak unnaturally slow in this recording.
Last edited by Pole, the on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

http://lescordesnoires.com/amtanehsa/so ... edySie.mp3

I probably sound a little bit ... uncertain / hesitant ... ;-)

I've long suspected that Polish should be spoken while (mildly) drunk. I'll try to make another recording soon, while sober.
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Too sober for me. :P

Ok, now seriously. You sound quite good for a foreigner, but there is a couple of things I noticed:
· the wrong pronunciation of /ɕ ʑ tɕ dʑ/; it is, I think, the most common giveaway of foreigners speaking Polish; they should be pronounced more to the front (i.e. closer to [sʲ zʲ tsʲ dzʲ];
· when you pronounce «we wtorek», the first try sounds better than the second one;
· the pronunciation of /u/ is too much fronted, it sounds like [ʉ] in your sample; it should be a clearly back vowel; in general, when not following palatalized consonants, Polish vowel tend to be more back;
· /w j/, especially in a syllable-final positions, are much more marked.

gestaltist
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gestaltist »

I wish you provided a gloss, as the most interesting thing in your sample is its demonstration of the relative non-configurationality of Polish.

What also stood out to me in your sample (Pole, the), is that you pronounce <musiałbym> as [muˈɕawbɨm]. For me, the stress is on the first syllable here: [ˈmuɕawbɨm]. I think the „prescriptivist Polish“ goes by my version but I am not sure.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Just for comparison, here's me pronouncing it in a more natural speed (the intonation is still not right, though).

Here is a rough gloss, but I don't think there is much non-configurability in the sample. I think it is a phenomenon that happens more commonly in the literary language („wpłynąłem na suchego przestwór oceanu” &c.).

Kiedy
when
się
REFL
do
to
nas
1pl.GEN
wybierasz?
plan.to.go.2SG

When are you visiting us?

Potrzeby
need.GEN
w sumie
after all
nie ma,
be.not
bo
because
jest
be.3SG
dość
enough
ludzi,
people.GEN
chyba że
unless
mógłbyś
can.COND.2SG.M
zostać
stay.INF
do
to
poniedziałku.
Monday.GEN

There is no urgent need because there is enough people, unless you could stay until Monday.

Mają
have.3PL
przyjechać
arrive.INF
we
in
wtorek
Tuesday.ACC
i
and
w
in
środę
Wednesday.ACC
rano
in.the.morning
zaczynamy
begin.1PL
hieroglify.
hieroglyph.PL

They should arrive on Tuesday and we are starting on Wednesday morning with hieroglyphs.

Siódmego
seventh.GEN
Łucja
Lucja
wyjeżdża,
depart.3SG
ale
but
od
from
piątku
Friday.GEN
do
to
niedzieli
Sunday.GEN
będą
be.FUT.3PL
Szymon
Szymon
i
and
jego
3SG.GEN
przyjaciółka.
female.friend

Łucja is leaving on the seventh of this month, but from Friday to Sunday there will be Szymon and his friend.

Wyślij
send.IMP
mejla,
e-mail.ACC
bo
because
musiałbym
must.COND.1SG.M
zadzwonić
phone.INF
za
after
noclegiem.
lodging.INS

Send me an e-mail so I can call somebody for the accommodation.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Well, I'm the one who suggested this exercise, so I figure it's high time I make an attempt. Sooo... Here you go.

Sorry for my miscellaneous grunts of exasperation; I assure you that all my frustration is directed at my own disobedient tongue, not Pole's perfectly lovely language. Speaking of which, I'd also like to apologize to Pole and any other Poles who might have the misfortune to hear me butchering said language. If it's any consolation, I sometimes have trouble pronouncing English, too, and I've had a lifetime to practice that. :P

Note that this is actually after many aborted attempts; for a while I kept getting stuck around "zostać," and then breaking down around "przyjechać" if I got that far. Once I finally managed to get as far as "hieroglify" without a major stop, I just sort of powered through to the end.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

CatDoom wrote:Well, I'm the one who suggested this exercise, so I figure it's high time I make an attempt. Sooo... Here you go.

Sorry for my miscellaneous grunts of exasperation; I assure you that all my frustration is directed at my own disobedient tongue, not Pole's perfectly lovely language. Speaking of which, I'd also like to apologize to Pole and any other Poles who might have the misfortune to hear me butchering said language. If it's any consolation, I sometimes have trouble pronouncing English, too, and I've had a lifetime to practice that. :P

Note that this is actually after many aborted attempts; for a while I kept getting stuck around "zostać," and then breaking down around "przyjechać" if I got that far. Once I finally managed to get as far as "hieroglify" without a major stop, I just sort of powered through to the end.
Hurray!

Mike Yams
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mike Yams »

gestaltist wrote:I wish you provided a gloss, as the most interesting thing in your sample is its demonstration of the relative non-configurationality of Polish.

What also stood out to me in your sample (Pole, the), is that you pronounce <musiałbym> as [muˈɕawbɨm]. For me, the stress is on the first syllable here: [ˈmuɕawbɨm]. I think the „prescriptivist Polish“ goes by my version but I am not sure.
Stress on the first syllable sounds more natural to me. (I am a native speaker.)