Tagalog & Malay unmarked verbs

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Tagalog & Malay unmarked verbs

Post by Vardelm »

I have read a few things that indicate that verbs in Tagalog & Malay might be able to be used without affixes that denote the trigger.

On Tagalog:
In its default unmarked form, the verb triggers a reading of the direct noun as the patient of the clause.

On Malay:
The radical expresses the phenomenon.
(Apparently "radical" here meant the unmarked verb, as opposed to appearing with the affixes me(ng)-, be(r)-, pe(r)-, or te(r)-.)
As opposed to the simple ground form of the verb which lays stress on the act, fact, event or condition, derivatives in me(ng)- always express the activity, the tendency, the direction, the movement towards an act, fact or event and condition to which endeavour goes.
This quote is about the prefix me(ng)-, which apparently is most commonly used for an active voice meaning, but the part about how "the simple ground form of the verb which lays stress on the act, fact, event or condition" is interesting.

----------------------------

My question: to what extent can verbs in Tagalog & Malay actually be used without affixes that denote the trigger?

I have read that there are at least a few verbs in Tagalog that can be used without affixes, but I haven't seen many. I also haven't found any examples that show a verb both with and without affixes and a translation showing the change in meaning. I have't seen any examples in Malay of verbs used without affixes.
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings