Test your vocab knowledge in a foreign language

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Test your vocab knowledge in a foreign language

Post by Salmoneus »

jal wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:1 - no idea Wheelbarrow
Right, so that's a wheelbarrow. I knew the word, just not what is was supposed to mean :).
Yes, that's a wheelbarrow - sometimes just called a barrow, but mostly we still specify 'wheelbarrow', as context is rarely sufficient to distinguish it from an ordinary 'barrow', i.e. a large bronze age burial tumulus. From 'barrow', we derive the term 'barrow boy', i.e. a financial derivatives trader of lower-class origin. (Now see, Viktor, that's the sort of vocabulary you should be testing here!)
The rules about when an English term is one word and when two still elude me... Memorizing...
The basic rule is: when it's two nouns, do whatever you feel like. In this case, the "correct" spelling is as one word, "pitchfork", but nobody would be confident about that unless they looked it up. Essentially, compounds start out as two words, become hyphenated, and then lose the hyphen. Where you choose to view something on the scale is in practice pretty subjective, depending on how long the term has been around, and how semantically divisible it is. So 'pitchfork' is one word, partly because it has nothing to do with pitch (bituminous tar) or a pitch (an area designated for playing field sports upon, or an attempt to sell something), and most people wouldn't immediately realise it's a fork you can pitch (throw) with; whereas a garden fork is definitely two words, because it's just a fork you use in the garden. Hay fork to me would be in between: I'd probably guess 'hay-fork', but wouldn't blink at 'hay fork' and wouldn't be shocked by 'hayfork'. [Spoiler: wiktionary does indeed have 'hayfork' as one word]

BTW, Viktor is wrong again. That's probably a garden fork, which is different from a pitchfork. Pitchforks are forks for pitching, and tend to have thin, slightly curved tines, while garden forks have stiffer, straighter tines, for cutting into the earth. Wikipedia tells me that pitchforks are also called prongs or sprongs, and garden forks are also called graips, but I've never heard any of those words (well, i've heard 'prong', obviously, just not in that sense).
8 - no idea Watering can
Really, that simple? Ha!
I've a feeling there's some more technical word for this, but yes, 'watering can' is what everybody uses. Without the watering nozzle it could be a can, would technically be a pail, but ALIMD would normally just be a bucket.
11 - no idea A hoe
I'm pretty sure I've never heard of that word.
Ironically! Because there are two types of hoe: draw hoes like this, and "Dutch hoes", which curve the other way, and often (though not always) have a distinct shape with a flat blade held between two arms. It's possible that 'Dutch' in this context just means 'in the opposite direction' or 'stupid', as it often does in English idioms, or it may be that the Dutch, great agricultural pioneers that they are, may have invented it; I don't know.
12 - moterized lawn mower (motor mower?) A lawnmower will do just fine, there's no need anymore to point out the fact it's motorized, though people do say gas or electric lawnmower to clarify the fuel source.
Well, in Dutch we make the distinction, since hand mowers are stll pretty common (Dutch gardens typically don't have large lawns).
I'm aware of the concept of hand mowers, but i don't think I've ever actually seen one. Even people with tiny gardens have lawnmowers, even if it's just a flymo!
Incidentally, to me a lawnmower is the machine, a 'lawn mower' would probably be a person...
B - no idea A funnel
Right, so that's a funnel. Knew the word, but didn't associate it with this tool, only in sales jargon and the like.
A funnel is also the big pipe on a ship that smoke comes out of. And a funnel bin is a cylindrical kitchen bin, presumably by analogy with the ship feature since it's not like a funnel in the normal sense of the word.
D - bludgeon? A mace
Mace, right, should've known.
Actually, Viktor is wrong: this is a morningstar, not a mace. The two are distinguished by the presence or absence of spikes, provided that there is not also a chain (a chain mace is a one-handed flail, with or without spikes).
However, thanks to the rise of txtsp33k and adhd and lsd and whatever else children do these days, there is a lamentable lack of knowledge among the general public regarding the finer details of mediaeval weaponry terminology, and 'mace' is a more common word, so you'd generally get away with it...
I - eagle's claw (or of another raptor / bird of prey) Known specifically as a talon
Also passively in my vocab.
NB, this is actually a picture of a bird's foot. The talon is only the claw, not the whole foot; however, I think it's not uncommon, colloquially, to use 'talon' to refer to the entire foot.
[FWIW, it's an anisodactylous bird foot. And for some reason we commonly say "bird's foot" rather than, or as well as, "bird foot", even though we don't say "bird leg". Come to think of it, that's a general rule: rabbit foot or rabbit's foot, but never rabbit's leg....]
4 - bowls, intestines? lower intestines? Large intestine
5 - small intestines? upper intestines? Small intestine
Singular? Realy? One learns every day :)
The medical terms are indeed 'large intestine' and 'small intestine'. However, in common usage we just say 'intestines', for all of it put together, even if we're only talking about one: a long strength of small intestine would still be called someone's intestines (plural, or I guess probably mass, actually), even though a doctor would say it was only part of their small intestine (singular).
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

So here they are in Malayalam (I'm not testing my knowledge in this case, only trying to improve it by looking words up in the dictionary):

1. ഒറ്റച്ചക്രകൈവണ്ടി [ɔˈtət͡ʃəkrəgəjʋəɳɖi], literally 'single wheel hand cart'. Makes sense but might be a neologism.
2. ജലവാഹിനിക്കുഴൽ [d͡ʒələˈʋaːhinikuɻəl], literally 'aquiferous tube'. Also makes sense but might be a neologism. Here, I used "aquiferous" instead of just "water-carrying" because [d͡ʒələˈʋaːhini] is adopted from Sanskrit kind of like how "aquiferous" is from Latin.
3. കൂന്താണി [kuːn̪ˈd̪aːɳi] or കൂന്താലി [kuːn̪ˈd̪aːli] (means both 'pickaxe' and 'mattock')
4. I'm not sure we have a word for this.
5. Apparently, we don't really distinguish between this and just a knife. We do have another word for "saw," though. ;)
6. കോടാലി (see previous post)
7. Some dictionaries list കവരത്തടി [kəˈʋəɾət̪əɖi] and ചില്ലുമുള്ള് [ˈt͡ʃillɯmʊɭɭɯ] as having this meaning. My fairly exhaustive Malayalam-English dictionary lists neither. Maybe we don't have these in Kerala? It does say that കവരം [kəˈʋəɾəm] means 'branch of a tree' and that ചില്ല് [ˈt͡ʃillɯ] means 'small round piece of glass, glass pane, glass' (none of which I knew, in addition to another meaning I already did know that has something to do with the orthography). So literally "wood from the branch of a tree" and "glass fork"? Huh.
8. I don't think we have a word for this, either.
9. Same here. Kerala doesn't have autumn, and we don't rake leaves; we sweep them with a handheld broom.
10. See below.
11. മൺവെട്ടി [ˈməɳʋɛʈi] and തൂമ്പ [ˈt̪uːmba] both apparently mean 'spade' and 'hoe'. I think I learned both of these words as 'hoe' earlier and forgot them.
12. Haha. :D My English-Malayalam dictionary has a fancy neologism for this made up entirely of morphemes adopted from Sanskrit: തൃണച്ഛേദനയന്ത്രം [t̪rɯɳət̚ˈt͡ʃʰeːd̪ənejən̪d̪rəm], i.e. machine for cutting grass.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:
hwhatting wrote:It's der Magen. And yes, "ear(s)" is Ohr(en).
I can't get used to those German words looking like plurals :). Thanks.
For many of the words of this type the singular and the plural are identical, but the ones with "a, o, u" frequently have an umlaut plural; the plural of Magen is Mägen.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

The answer to my extra-points question, incidentally, was that the implement in question was a loy. The photograph was from the National Ploughing Championships in Ireland, an event with 280,000 spectators (not including the considerable television audience).

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Salmoneus wrote:The answer to my extra-points question, incidentally, was that the implement in question was a loy. The photograph was from the National Ploughing Championships in Ireland, an event with 280,000 spectators (not including the considerable television audience).
I admit googling the image and finding the answer. As for the Dutch hoes, though I can't rule out it's an actual Dutch implement, I've never seen one.

Here's the Dutch names for the various things (for those I actually know):
More: show
Garden stuff:
1. kruiwagen
2. tuinslang
3. pikhouweel
4. heggeschaar [well, probably not, a heggeschaar needs longer blades]
5. machette
6. bijl
7. hooivork [perhaps not, a hooivork doesn't have straight teeth]
8. gieter
9, hark
10. spa(de)
11. schoffel

Body parts:
1. longen
2. luchtpijp
3. lever
4. dikke darm
5. dunne darm
6. eierstok
7. baarmoeder
8. eikel
9. testikel / bal(len)
10. blaas
11. nier
12. maag
13. hart
14. oor / oren
15. hersenen / hersens

JAL

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Here's my go in Japanese for the gardening equipment one:
1. 一輪車 ichirinsha (one-wheel-car)
2. ホース hōsu
5. マチェーテ machēte
6. 斧 ono
8. じょうろ jōro
9. 熊手 kumade (bear-hand)
10. シャベル shaberu
11. 鍬 kuwa
Anyone want to add a new image?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

clawgrip wrote:Anyone want to add a new image?
Go ahead! I added 2 already.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Xephyr wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Yes well you can offer up an image
Alright, I'll try:
So I knew E and G, then remembered later that I knew D, too. I always mess up on F. There doesn't seem to be a word for 'corn cob' in Malayalam that's distinct from just 'corn', though. I didn't know I (claw, talon), but it turns out to be basically the same as 'nail', which I do know. We don't have words for A or C.

So:
A - no word for this
B - looked it up. It's പുകക്കുഴൽ [pʊˈgəkʊɻəl] 'smoke tube' or ചോർപ്പ് [ˈt͡ʃoːrpɯ].
C - no word for this, either
D - ഗദ [gəˈd̪a]. Thank you, textbooks for kindergarteners I learned how to read and write from! *kisses textbook*
E - കണ്മഷി [ˈkəɳməʃi], literally 'eye ink'
F - Thought 'corn' was ചോള [ˈt͡ʃoːɭa]. It's actually ചോളം [ˈt͡ʃoːɭəm]
G - പത [pəˈd̪a]
H - had to look this up, too. My English-Malayalam dictionary has ഷഡ്ഭുജക്ഷേത്രം [ʃəɖbʱʊd͡ʒəˈʈʃeːt̪rəm] (boy, is that ever a mouthful!) and ഷഡ്ഭുജകോണം [ʃəɖbʱʊd͡ʒəˈgoːɳəm].
I - I already knew 'nail' is നഖം [n̪əˈkʰəm]; colloquially, I've heard my mom pronounce this [n̪əˈhəm], usually when telling me I should cut my nails. :P I didn't know, though, that this can also be used for 'claw' or 'talon'. I also learned that if you want to specify that this is a bird's talon, then you can just say 'bird nail', i.e. പക്ഷിനഖം [pəˈʈʃin̪əkʰəm].

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Maybe next time I'll add a new image then.

As for this one:
A didn't know this one...apparently it's just レンチ renchi
B didn't know this one...漏斗 jōgo seems to be the word. Never heard it before.
C ホチキス hochikisu
D 金棒 kanabō
E アイライナー airainā
F トウモロコシの芯 tōmorokoshi no shin
G 泡 awa
H 六角形 rokkakukei
I 爪 tsume

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

A new one:

Note everything is inside (so 1 denotes the window, not the path outside). 5 is attached to a bed.

Dutch:
1. raam, venster
2. kozijn
3. vensterbank
4. radiator, verwarming
5. nachkastje (note it's not really a "kastje", but I wouldn't know what to call it else)
6. radiatorbuis
7. raamsluiting, raamboompje
8. raamuitzetter

JAL

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

in english i'd say:
1. window
2. window frame
3. window sill, except that's usually outside
4. radiator
5. shelf
6. pipe
7. handle
8. ?
in japanese i got:
1. 窓 (mado)
2. フレーム (frame)
3. ?
4. they don't have these in tokyo, but i've seen them in the mountains. even there they're not common so i dunno. in general we could call it ヒーター (heater)
5. 置き場 (okiba)??
6. ?
7. ハンドル (handle)????
8. ??

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Here's my try in French:
1.la fenêtre
2.le montant is a jamb apparently
3.le banc (I know you're looking for sill though) sill=le rebord
4.le radiateur
5.la table de nuit, la petite table la table de chevet is also an option
6.les tuyaux
7.la poignée (de fenêtre)
8.as I look around my office I see one of these but it must be European because I don't know what it'd be called. Le crochet de fenêtre (window hook)?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

finlay wrote:3. window sill, except that's usually outside
IME, it's outside where these are optional but you always find them inside (although the width varies tremendously).

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Expanding on Finlay:
1. window - Normally, yes, but in the context of distinguishing it from the frame, I'd say "pane" or "window pane"; to me, the frame is also part of the window; there's also an ambiguity for me because thw window is both the hole and the structure that fills it. People who talk about these things professionally might call it a "light"
2. window frame - if he means the entire structure, yes. If he just means the upright bit, it's a (window) jamb
3. window sill, except that's usually outside - I have no outside connotation here. However, maybe it's just the picture, but to me the width of the sill here is abnormal, and would leave me looking for another word, but I don't know what that would be.
4. radiator
5. shelf - this would confuse me. I'm not sure whether I'd go with 'shelf' or 'sidetable'. I'd like to go with "bedflange", but sadly this word does not exist
6. pipe
7. handle - might in some cases (i.e. if I were turning it) call it a lever, but yeah, mostly handle
8. ? - I would usually say "latch", but it's actually a stay.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Even after reading the answers for English, I still don't know what about half of those things are. For #6, "side table" definitely makes more sense to me than "shelf."

EDIT: And probably most of those things don't exist in Kerala, either, at least not in the average home, so I doubt there's much point in trying to find out what they're called in Malayalam. I have no idea how to say any of those things in Malayalam except "window" (which isn't really what's being pointed to anyway) and maybe "pipe."

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Viktor77 wrote:Can you do the organs of the human body in a foreign language? I took out a few that I thought were a bit tough to identify from this not so great drawing.

1: رئتين
2: ؟
3: الكبدة
4: المصران الغليظ\السميك
5: المصران الصغير؟
6: مِبيَض, مبيضين
7: الرحم
8: قضيب, اير, زب
9: البيضات, الخُصيتين
10: I feel like I should know this but for some reason it's not really coming to me. Apparently it's called a مثانة which I'd never heard before!
11: الكلوتين, الكلاوي
12: المعدة
13: القلب
14: الأذنين, الدان
15: الدماغ, المخاخ
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

The only ones I can identify in Malayalam are #3, 8, and 12-15. 'Brain' in Malayalam is literally 'head' + 'cooked rice', because apparently Malayalam-speakers think brain cells look like grains of cooked rice. :D I feel like I might have already learned #6 somewhere and should remember it but don't. The same is possibly true of #4, 5, 10, and 11. And I know Malayalees at least can use the English word "feeling" to refer to #9. :P

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

1. wheelbarrow - skottkärra - kottikärryt
2. hose - slang - letku
3. adze/pickaxe? - hacka? - ?
4. ? - sekatör - pensassakset
5. ? - ? - ?
6. axe - yxa - kirves
7. hayfork? - högaffel - heinäseiväs?
8. ? - vattenkanna - kastelukannu
9. rake - kratta/räfs? - harava
10. spade - spade - lapio
11. hoe - hacka - ?

I didn't know any of these in Japanese. Except I'm guessing 2 is hōsu. :P

EDIT: Whoops, missed #12. I knew it was called a lawnmower in English even before I saw the answer. And in Swedish it's gräsklippare, and Finnish ruohonleikkuri. Oh, and #5 is of course machete in both English and Swedish. In Finnish I'm not sure, viidakkoveitsi?
Last edited by Qwynegold on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Xephyr's words:
A. wrench - skiftnyckel - ? - ?
B. cone? - tratt - suppilo - ?
C. stapler - häftapparat - nitoja - suteepuraa?
D. morning star? - morgonstjärna? - ? - ?
E. eye shadow - ögonskugga - luomiväri? - ?
F. corn nob? - majskolv* - maissintähkä* - ?
G. foam - skum - vaahto - fōmu?
H. hexagon - hexagon - kuusikulma? - ?
I. talon - klor - kynnet - tsume?
*If uneaten. Otherwise I don't know if we have words for these as corn is not native to Europe.
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Organs:
1. lung - lunga - keuhko - ?
2. trachea - luftrör? - keuhkoputki - ?
3. liver - lever - maksa - ?
4. colon - tjocktarm - paksusuoli - ?
5. intestine - tunntarm - ? - ?
6. ovary - ovarium? - ? - ?
7. vulva - livmoder - ? - ?
8. gland - ollon - terska - ?
9. testicle - testikel/pungkula - kives - kintama
10. bladder - urinblåsa - virtsarakko - ?
11. kidney - njure - munuainen - ?
12. stomach - magsäck - mahalaukku - ?
13. heart - hjärta - sydän - kokoro
14. ear - öra - korva - mimi
15. brain - hjärna - aivot - ?
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Window stuff:
1. window glass/window pane - fönsterruta - ikkunaruutu
2. window frame? - ? - ?
3. ? - fönsterbräda - ikkunalauta
4. radiator - element - patteri
5. ? - ? - ?
6. pipe - rör - putki
7. handle - handtag - kahva
8. What is this even?
My most recent quiz:

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Qwynegold wrote:*If uneaten. Otherwise I don't know if we have words for these as corn is not native to Europe.
Neither are the people that eat them in the 'Merica's.
Qwynegold wrote:Window stuff: 8. What is this even?
It's a window stay. It's used to keep a top tilting window open to a certain width.

JAL

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

The word corn in English, like German Korn, originally meant the grain most commonly grown in an area, with the specialization to mean maize being specific to North American English.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

It appears to mean maize in Indian English, too, but maybe that has something to do with the large numbers of Indians who move to the US. It also means maize in Canada and Australia.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I've never heard the word maize being used except in this exact discussion, or when there's a maize maze. We say corn in the UK too.