What, where, when

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

What, where, when

Post by Jonlang »

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong section!

So someone posted this on Facebook a few days ago and I must say that it had never occurred to me. They posted that the questions "When", "Where" and "When" can be answered by substituting the w for a t. Where > There. I suppose I was mostly surprised by the fact that I'd never noticed this. I guess this has been discussed here before, but is this purely coincidental or did it occur deliberately?
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Re: What, where, when

Post by KathTheDragon »

This is purely a coincidence. Using "what" and "that" as examples, in Old English, these two words were spelt "hwæt" and "þæt". In the course of time, "hw" was respelled "wh" and "þ" was respelled "th", yielding "what" and "that". Ditto for the other pairs.

M Mira
Lebom
Lebom

Post by M Mira »

That only changed the question from w/t correspondence to hw/þ correspondence though, and to my surprise all three of them fits even in Old English even down to vowel lengths.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

M Mira wrote:That only changed the question from w/t correspondence to hw/þ correspondence though, and to my surprise all three of them fits even in Old English even down to vowel lengths.
Throughout IE. Latin 'tam' (so much) vs 'quam' (how much), and 'talis' (such a kind) vs 'qualis' (what kind) for instance.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ok, going back all the way to PIE, *kʷó-d vs. *tó-d ("what" vs. "that"), *kʷó-m vs. *tó-m ("when" vs. "then"), and *kʷó-r vs. *tó-r ("where" vs. "there"). In this case, *kʷo- and *to- are adjectival pronoun stems derived from the more basic pronoun roots *kʷ- and *t-.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Well if that isn't the most interesting revelation.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

I think I'm getting out of my depth now!

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

I sometimes feel like we should use "hat" instead of "this" and "hen" instead of "now", to parallel the "here"/"there" (and hither/thither and hence/thence and here-/there- compounds) distinction.

Abi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Abi »

KathTheDragon wrote:Ok, going back all the way to PIE, *kʷó-d vs. *tó-d ("what" vs. "that"), *kʷó-m vs. *tó-m ("when" vs. "then"), and *kʷó-r vs. *tó-r ("where" vs. "there"). In this case, *kʷo- and *to- are adjectival pronoun stems derived from the more basic pronoun roots *kʷ- and *t-.
At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

gmalivuk wrote:I sometimes feel like we should use "hat" instead of "this" and "hen" instead of "now", to parallel the "here"/"there" (and hither/thither and hence/thence and here-/there- compounds) distinction.
Yeah, but we already use "hat" for wearing on the head. And some of us use "hen" for meat and eggs.
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Kio ajn hindeŭrope dirita estas, esperante vidatas.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

Pole, the wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:I sometimes feel like we should use "hat" instead of "this" and "hen" instead of "now", to parallel the "here"/"there" (and hither/thither and hence/thence and here-/there- compounds) distinction.
Yeah, but we already use "hat" for wearing on the head. And some of us use "hen" for meat and eggs.
Look if I want to hat hat hat hen and forever, I won't let your argument from homonymy stop me.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:
there their they're
here hear hir

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

linguoboy wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
there their they're
here hear hir
Those words, depending on regional accents, aren't necessarily pronounced the same, and hir isn't even a word... In South Wales "there" is different to "their" and "they're" - both sounding like "theya". Also, "Here", "hear", "year" and "ear" are all pronounced as "yurr" (rhyming with "fur").

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

that hardly negates the point that Some Words Are Homographs/Homophones
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Yng wrote:that hardly negates the point that Some Words Are Homographs/Homophones
If this is aimed at me, I apologise if I seemed argumentative. It wasn't meant as such. I was just pointing out that (mainly) the words their and they're have two syllables when spoken in a South Wales accent (particularly the Valleys).

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

dyolf wrote:and hir isn't even a word...
Yes, it is.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

gmalivuk wrote:
dyolf wrote:and hir isn't even a word...
Yes, it is.
I stand corrected.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Why can't people just use they... and no, I am not going to remember what your favorite personal pronoun is, thank you. (Luckily no one has ever insisted to me that I call them a particular pronoun.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Travis B. wrote:Why can't people just use they... and no, I am not going to remember what your favorite personal pronoun is, thank you. (Luckily no one has ever insisted to me that I call them a particular pronoun.)
I personally have never heard any other gender-indefinite pronoun used outside the internet.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

Travis B. wrote:Why can't people just use they... and no, I am not going to remember what your favorite personal pronoun is, thank you. (Luckily no one has ever insisted to me that I call them a particular pronoun.)
"... and no, I am not going to remember what your favorite personal name is, thank you"

That's cool, Greg. You do you.

(And I mean, sure, if someone picks a totally unique "pronoun" it's really just another name and they'd essentially rather you didn't use pronouns at all. But in real life, even the part of real life here on the Internet, people don't tend to pick words uniformly from a set of thousands. They just pick from a set that's a couple times larger than {he, she, it, they}.)