[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Accents

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:20 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Someone told me recently that I have a non-native speaker-sounding accent in English (not in exactly those words, it was more "You have an accent! What kind of accent do you have? *insert foreign language accent guesses rather than expected things like Southern here*). I'm sort of bewildered, because I am a native English speaker, and I'm not Cajun or Chicano or Pennsylvania Dutch or any of the other groups that normally get confused for non-native English speakers. I wasn't even doing any of my accents at the time (sometimes I will randomly talk to people in different accents). I also heard someone else on another forum say that they've been told that they have a non-native speaker-sounding accent by multiple people (I've only gotten that from one person, but if one person says it, probably other people are thinking it).

I was wondering if anyone here had that and what people think would cause that. I suspect it's mostly prosody. I've pretty much taken up thinking in a combination of English and German and I wouldn't be surprised if that slipped into my prosody sometimes, and I know I hyperarticulate pretty bad, which is definitely associated with foreign-soundingness, although I doubt that alone would cause it, since I'm pretty sure stereotypical Received Pronunciation-type accents also hyperarticulate.

Post subject: Re: Accents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:24 am 
Lebom
Lebom

If you're like some nerds, perhaps there are words only ever seen in a book and thus don't pronounce correctly. Also, there's a reason why they're only seen in a book. Little oddities like that can make one sound like a foreign language learner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:34 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I recently heard someone joke that Keanu Reeves was so bad at imitating accents that even his normal speaking voice sounds fake. Maybe its possible that some people have idiolects that diverge enough from the norm that they occasionally strike others as foreign-sounding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:07 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:15 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:41 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by Zaarin on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:09 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

My accent is so eclectic at this point that it breaks those online accent quizzes. (I think the last one I took placed me in New England--on what basis, I can't imagine. Their second guess was someplace in Texas.)

I had someone tell me to my face that they knew I wasn't from this country. Again, I have no idea what they based that conclusion on. And once a Canadian asked me, "Why are you speaking with an Ottawa accent?" Since at the time I didn't even know what an Ottawa accent sounded like, I had no good response for her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:10 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

People have told me on a number of occasions that I have a strong accent - including people here in the Milwaukee area.

However, the times I have been told by Milwaukeeans that I do not sound like I am from the area appear to be due to my speaking with a bit of a lilt when speaking carefully, which is not typical of the dialect here.

On the other hand, which suburb of Milwaukee I am originally from has been picked out correctly by someone I had never met before based solely on my accent on one occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:09 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I'm a military brat so I come by the horrible mix of accent naturally. The Deep South, the Not-So-Deep South, Rocky Mountain states, New England, Pac NW, and Californian parents to boot, one by way of the Midwest. Whee! I'd say my accent is mostly now "trying very hard to never sound like I'm Southern ever again, also I've lived in the Pac NW for a while so let's go with that."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:07 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:21 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:58 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:29 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:08 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:58 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

My accent is a weird mix of Welsh and West Country. This is due to living in Gloucestershire and then moving to Mid Wales. My cousins in Gloucestershire have noitced and started teasing me about my Welsh accent... :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:35 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:34 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:04 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:55 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:05 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:33 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru