This thing I cannot shake

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

This thing I cannot shake

Post by alice »

I'm still none the wiser about this; bear with me. I've yet to find a source which disagrees with the first three lines of each of these.

IF velars have [+back]
AND palatalisation adds [+front]
AND nothing can have [+back] and [+front]
THEN how do palatalised velars work?

Similarly:

IF uvulars have [+low]
AND palatalisation adds [+high]
AND nothing can have [+low] and [+high]
THEN how do palatalised uvulars work?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Re: This thing I cannot shake

Post by schyrsivochter »

Err… what is this ‘[+back]/[+front/low/high]’ thing?!
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

Mâq Lar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mâq Lar »

Palatalisation is a secondary articulation; it doesn't just add [+front] to the velar in the same way that changing schwa to could be said to be adding the feature [+front]; it superimposes the [+front] on top of the [+back] velar. It is two co-articulated consonants, one of which has [+back] and one of which [+front].

This might not be expressed in technical terms, but that's how I have always understood it to be. Open to correction from anyone who knows better though.

Moq Grammar Sketch
1 - Intro & Phonology
2 - Basic Noun Phrases
3 - Basic Verbal Clauses
4 - Grammatical Relations

5 - Clause Chaining
Illitjî cultural posts:
Illitjî number system
Illitjî calendar
-
-

Mâq Lar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mâq Lar »

schyrsivochter wrote:Err… what is this ‘[+back]/[+front/low/high]’ thing?!
They are features used to describe sounds. When you say , your tongue is high - has the feature [+high]. For [a], your tongue is low, so it has [-high] (since low is the opposite of high). Sounds can be described by combinations of these features, and they can be grouped into categories by them - e.g. "all the sounds with [+high] - because sounds with certain features in common often behave the same way.

Moq Grammar Sketch
1 - Intro & Phonology
2 - Basic Noun Phrases
3 - Basic Verbal Clauses

5 - Clause Chaining
Illitjî cultural posts:
Illitjî number system
Illitjî calendar
-
-

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I think the problem is that you think features are "real". They aren't. They're just a construct that's useful for explaining some linguistic phenomena. These contradictions arise from your idea that there is such a thing as "[+front]" that has an existence independent of a particular language or a particular description of a language, and so it has some set of absolute, objective properties. But you're mistaken about this.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Mâq Lar wrote:Palatalisation is a secondary articulation; it doesn't just add [+front] to the velar in the same way that changing schwa to could be said to be adding the feature [+front]; it superimposes the [+front] on top of the [+back] velar. It is two co-articulated consonants, one of which has [+back] and one of which [+front].

This might not be expressed in technical terms, but that's how I have always understood it to be. Open to correction from anyone who knows better though.

So /kʲ/ is really /k/ and /c/ co-articulated? Does this mean that /pʲ/ is /p/ and /c/ co-articulated, or just /p/ with [front] added?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

thetha wrote:I think the problem is that you think features are "real". They aren't. They're just a construct that's useful for explaining some linguistic phenomena. These contradictions arise from your idea that there is such a thing as "[+front]" that has an existence independent of a particular language or a particular description of a language, and so it has some set of absolute, objective properties. But you're mistaken about this.
That's fair enough, but it strikes me as odd that (what I understand to be) the standard set of features can't account for something as straightforward as palatalisation of velars.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I don't know what to say except that your understanding of the standard set of features is wrong. There just isn't such a thing. Features only exist to identify and collect natural classes of phonemes, and what members exist in a natural class is very dependent on particular languages, because languages almost never have identical phonological inventories or identical ways of organizing them. If there's not a class of "back" sounds that seem to share some effectual property then there's absolutely no reason to consider a [back] feature and so there's nothing for [front] to conflict with. In any case, I don't see why there's anything worrying about something being [+front] and [+back] at the same time because [-front] doesn't necessarily have to be [+back]. Maybe it's a situation like the one with the terms "open" and "closed" in mathematics. (they're not (always) opposites).

Mâq Lar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mâq Lar »

alice wrote:
Mâq Lar wrote:Palatalisation is a secondary articulation; it doesn't just add [+front] to the velar in the same way that changing schwa to could be said to be adding the feature [+front]; it superimposes the [+front] on top of the [+back] velar. It is two co-articulated consonants, one of which has [+back] and one of which [+front].

So /kʲ/ is really /k/ and /c/ co-articulated? Does this mean that /pʲ/ is /p/ and /c/ co-articulated, or just /p/ with [front] added?

Not /c/; /j/. The Wikipedia page on secondary articulations quotes a Maledo (2011) saying a secondary articulation is a lesser structure imposed upon a primary articulation, and says that all secondary-articulation a have at least one which is in approximant. (Coarticulated /k/ and /c/ would be like one of those doubly articulated /kp/ you get in African languages - contrast that with a labialised /k/ and you can see the difference - it's /k/ and /w/.)

Moq Grammar Sketch
1 - Intro & Phonology
2 - Basic Noun Phrases
3 - Basic Verbal Clauses

5 - Clause Chaining
Illitjî cultural posts:
Illitjî number system
Illitjî calendar
-
-

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Mâq Lar wrote:
alice wrote:

Not /c/; /j/. The Wikipedia page on secondary articulations quotes a Maledo (2011) saying a secondary articulation is a lesser structure imposed upon a primary articulation, and says that all secondary-articulation a have at least one which is in approximant. (Coarticulated /k/ and /c/ would be like one of those doubly articulated /kp/ you get in African languages - contrast that with a labialised /k/ and you can see the difference - it's /k/ and /w/.)

Am enlightened; this is a good explanation!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

alice wrote:I'm still none the wiser about this; bear with me. I've yet to find a source which disagrees with the first three lines of each of these.

IF velars have [+back]
AND palatalisation adds [+front]
AND nothing can have [+back] and [+front]
THEN how do palatalised velars work?

Similarly:

IF uvulars have [+low]
AND palatalisation adds [+high]
AND nothing can have [+low] and [+high]
THEN how do palatalised uvulars work?
These are just descriptive labels, you shouldn't overanalyze it.
So /kʲ/ is really /k/ and /c/ co-articulated?
No, that would be most probably transcribed as [k͡c].

[kʲ] is more like [k] + [j]. A full velar closure with a palatal coarticulation.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

[kʲ] is simply [+velar +palatalised] or [+dorsal +palatalised] if you will. [+front] and [+back] are vowel features, not consonant ones.
Palatalised uvulars are impossible to pronounce the last time I checked.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Zju wrote:Palatalised uvulars are impossible to pronounce the last time I checked.
Ubykh and Abkhaz-Abaza have them, and afaik it's on more than just vowel-coloring. I.e. it's not just that /χa/ is [χa] and /χʲa/ is [χe], but /χʲ/ is actually uvular with palatal coarticulation /χʲa/ [χʲe].

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

A key confusion here, with respect to phonemic feature theory, seems to be the idea that velars are [+back]. AFAI have seen, they are usually rather modeled as [+high], which can easily enough combine with [+front].

What this does predict though is that you'll never find a contrast between /c/ and /kʲ/; at best you can reach, as in Yanyuwa, something like coronal /[ȶ] or [tʲ]/ versus dorsal /[kʲ] or [k̟]/.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]