Polyglottal Telephone XVIII *Results posted!*

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Polyglottal Telephone XVIII *Results posted!*

Post by Viktor77 »

Until I get my account on the Kneequickie working the results have been posted below!

It's been a while since Polyglottal Telephone XVII, in fact it was way back in 2013, and so I was wondering if there would be interest in a new Polyglottal Telephone? I'm taking guidance from previous installments for the rules.

For our new members, what is a Polyglottal Telelphone? A Polyglottal Telephone is a translation done in private of an obscure text from one language to another, and from that language to another, and so on as in the game of telephone. The game is carried out over PM (private messaging). At the end we take a look at the results of two different teams who translated the text through multiple languages just for the fun of it, really. The results are posted to http://www.kneequickie.com in an article designed specifically for this game.

The rules are simple:
• You have three 3 days to complete the translation and send it to the next team member. Please keep track of this time, it will be recorded from the moment the PM was SENT by a team member not when it was RECEIVED. Please check your PMs daily or better yet, sign up for an email alert. We have had troubles in the past with team members not checking their PMs and that slows down the game.
• You must provide an English translation unless your translation is into English. Since English is the language of our forum this is to provide everyone with an opportunity to read how the text progressed at various levels in the game.
• Once you have finished your translation, you must then immediately PM it to the next team member. Please also PM it to me along with your English translation. This is crucial as I must compile all of the translations as the game progresses.
• Do not post translations in this thread, and try not to spoil anything.
• There will be two teams, named something or other, either something I come up with or if you want you can put a name forward if it's well received.
• Check this thread to keep up with any news.
• I will try to find matches for everyone so that they can translate into a language that they study, but if you study Evenki and no one else offers to translate from Evenki then I apologize but it will not be possible.
• The entire game will be compiled on the kneequickie at the end.
• Have fun!

The text will be short, from an obscure source, and will be literary in nature. You are forbidden from Googling the text in any way. You must translate what you are provided with. If something doesn't make sense, you must work with it, that is how the game works.

Now please post below what languages you offer to translate from and which you offer to translate to in order of preference. My personal variation on this is that you may, if so desired, offer to translate from any language in a language family, ie. any Romance language (but be aware that could include Romanian if it comes up), but please offer to translate into specific languages that you have studied. We work with standardized variants of languages unless you and another team member are agreed to translate to and from a nonstandard variant.

I very much hope there is interest in a Polyglottal Telephone XVIII!

Team XVIII:

Viktor-From English into French
Serafin-From French into Latin
Finlay-From Latin into Japanese
Vijay- From Japanese into Croatian
Hwhatting-From Croatian into Polish
The Pole-From Polish into Esperanto
Kanejam-From Esperanto into Spanish
Atrulfal-From Spanish into Portuguese
JMCD- From Portuguese into German
Gufferdk-From German into English

Results:

Source text:
I simply hinted that an 'extraordinary' man has the right... that is not an official right, but an inner right to decide in his own conscience to overstep... certain obstacles, and only in case it is essential for the practical fulfillment of his idea (sometimes, perhaps, of benefit to the whole of humanity). You say that my article isn't definite; I am ready to make it as clear as I can. Perhaps I am right in thinking you want me to; very well. I maintain that if the discoveries of Kepler and Newton could not have been made known except by sacrificing the lives of one, a dozen, a hundred, or more men, Newton would have had the right, would indeed have been in duty-bound... to eliminate the dozen or the hundred men for the sake of making his discoveries known to the whole of humanity. But it does not follow from that that Newton had a right to murder people right and left and to steal every day in the market.
Crime and Punishment-Dostoevsky

French text:
More: show
J’ai simplement laissé entendre qu’un homme ‘extraordinaire’ a le droit…c’est-à-dire pas de droit officiel, mais un droit profond à décider en sa conscience de dépasser…certains obstacles, et seulement au cas où cela soit essentiel pour réaliser son idée de façon pratique (parfois, peut-être, à l’avantage de toute l’humanité). Vous dites que mon article n’est pas définit ; je suis prêt à le rendre au plus clair possible. Peut-être que j’ai raison en pensant que vous voulez que je le fasse ; d’accord. Je maintiens que si les découvertes de Kepler ou de Newton n'ont pas pu être rendues publiques autrement que par le sacrifice des vies d’un seul, d’une douzaine, d’une centaine, ou plus d’hommes, Newton aurait eu le droit…il aurait effectivement été obligé…d’éliminer la douzaine ou la centaine d’hommes dans l’intérêt de rendre publiques ses découvertes à toute l’humanité. Mais il ne s’en ensuit pas que Newton ait eu le droit d’assassiner des gens à tire-larigot et de voler chaque jour au marché.

I simply hinted that an ‘extraordinary’ man has the right…that’s to say not an official right, but a profound right to decide in his conscience to overstep…certain obstacles, and only in the case where this is essential to realize his idea in a practical manner (sometimes, perhaps, to the benefit of all humanity). You say that my article is not definite; I am ready to make is as clear as possible. Perhaps I am right in thinking that you want me to do it; okay. I maintain that if the discoveries of Kepler or Newton could not have been made public except by the sacrifice of the lives of one, a dozen, a hundred, or more men, Newton would have had the right…he would’ve been indeed obliged…to eliminate the dozen or the hundred of men in the interest of making his discoveries public to all humanity. But it doesn’t not follow that Newton had the right to murder people left and right and steal every day at the market.

Serafin-From French to Latin
Latin text:
Tantummodo subjēcī virum ‘permīrābilem’ jūs habēre... et nōn dīcō lēgitimum sed altum jūs mente dēcernere āmōlīrī... obstantia quadam, sed sōlum cum necesse sit ut simpliciter cōnsilium peragat (interdum, forsitan, benefaciēns hūmānīs cunctīs). Dīcis quod scrīpsī nōn esse clārum; parātus autem sum quam clārissimē explānāre. Forsan rēctē arbitror tē velle ut id faciam; concurrō. Affirmō enim, sī comperta Keplerī vel Neutonī vulgārī nōn potuissent nisi per sacrificium vītae ūnīus vel decem vel centum vel plūrium hominum, Neutonō jūs fuisset... et obligātiō quidem... hōs decem vel centum āmōlīrī ut comperta illa hūmānīs omnibus pūblicārentur. Quō autem nōn est intellegendum Neutonum tum habuisse jūs necāre sine continentiā vel cottīdiē in macellō fūrārī.
I just suggested that an "extraordinary" man has the right... that is, not a legal right, but a profound right to consciously decide to remove... certain obstacles, and only in case it is essential to realize their idea in a practical manner (sometimes, perhaps, to the benefit of all humanity [Latin: "benefiting all humanity"]). You say that my article [Latin: "what I wrote"] is not clear; I am ready to make it as clear as possible. Maybe I am right to think that you want me to do that; alright [Latin: "I agree"]. I maintain that if discoveries made by Kepler and Newton could not be made public except by the sacrifice of the lives of one, a dozen, a hundred or more men, Newton would have had the right... in fact, the obligation... to eliminate the dozen or hundred men in the interest of making his discoveries public to all humanity. Yet this does not mean Newton would have had the right to murder people with no restraint or to steal things in the market every day.

Finlay-From Latin to Japanese
Japanese text:
俺は、人が「迚も豪華」な義理に属しただけ。と言うか、法律的な義理ではなくて、ある反抗を防ぐと決める心のための深い義理なんだ…でも、必要な時しか計 画を実行しない(時々、恐らく、全ての人類に有益だ)。君は、俺の書いてた事が明確ではないと言ったけれど、結構はっきりとどうやって説明すると考えてい たよ。もしかしたら、俺がやって欲しいと、正しく認める。その通りだよ。然も、もしケプラーやニュートンの発見が発行されることが出来なかったら、一つの 人生を捧げなくても、十人か百人かそれよりもまだでも、ニュートンに、その10人か百人が全部の人類に発見の発行を防ぐ義理、というより強制があるさ。し かし、ニュートンを気づかないため、制裁せずに殺す義理や、市場を略奪する義理もある。

Ore wa, hito ga "tottemo gouka" na giri ni zokushita dake. To iu ka, houritsuteki na giri dewa nakute, aru hankou wo fusegu to kimeru kokoro no tame no fukai giri nan da... demo, hitsuyou na toki shika keikaku wo jikkou shinai (tokidoki, odoraku, subete no jinrui ni yuueki da). Kimi wa, ore no kaiteta koto ga meikaku dewa nai to yutta keredo, kekkou hakkiri to dou yatte setsumei suru to kangaeteita yo. Moshikashitara, ore ga yatte hoshii to, tadashiku mitomeru. Sono toori da yo. Shikamo, moshi Kepura ya Nyuton no hakken ga hakkou sareru koto ga dekinakattara, hitotsu no jinsei wo sasagenakute mo, juunin ka hyakunin ka sore yori mo mada demo, Nyuton ni, sono juunin ka hyakunin ga zenbu no jinrui ni hakken no hakkou wo fusegu giri, to iu yori kyousei ga aru sa. Shikashi, Nyuton wo kizukanai tame, seisai sezu ni korosu giri ya, ichiba wo ryakudatsu suru giri mo aru.
I have only subjected the man to have a "very wonderful" duty... and I don't mean legal duty, but a deeply rooted duty for the mind to decide to prevent... a certain resistance, but only when necessary would he directly execute the plan (sometimes, perhaps, beneficial to all humanity). You say what I wrote is not clear; however, I had intended to explain how very clearly. Perhaps I rightly observe that you want me to do it; I agree. Indeed, I assert that if the findings of Kepler or Newton could not have been made commonplace, if not for the sacrifice of one life then ten or one hundred or even more people, there would have been a duty to Newton – and indeed, an obligation – for these ten or one hundred to prevent the finding from being published to all humanity. Although so that Newton is not to be perceived, then they have the duty to kill without restraint, or to plunder the market.

Vijay- From Japanese to Croatian
Croatian text:
Meni su ljudi povjerili samo "vrlo divne" dužnosti. To jest, nisu zakonite dužnosti, a temeljite su dužnosti kao odlučiti sprečavati bunu...ali ne izvršavam planove osim kad mi treba (ponekad je to vjerovatno dobro za sve ljude). Govorio si da nije moje pisanje jasno ali mislio si da objasnio sam ga nekako dosta jasno. Valjda promatraš točno da želim ga raditi. Tako je. Štoviše, čak i da ne mogu nalazi Keplera, Newtona itd. biti objavljeni, pa ne bi dali svoje jedine živote, bili bi samo deset ili sto ljudi i bila bi veća prinuda nego Newton i nego dužnost tih 10 ili sto ljudi da sprečavaju publikaciju tih nalaza. Međutim, iako Newton nije to znao, bili su također dužnosti ubiti bez sankcija, ukrasti iz trgova itd.
People entrusted me only "very wonderful" duties. That is to say, they're not lawful duties, but they're profound duties like deciding to put down a rebellion...but I don't execute plans except when I need to (sometimes, that's probably good for everyone). You said that my writing isn't clear, but you thought that I explained it pretty clearly somehow. Perhaps you recognize correctly that I want to do it. That's right. Moreover, even if the discoveries of Kepler, Newton, etc. couldn't be published, then they wouldn't have given their only lives, there would have only been ten or a hundred people, and there would be a greater compulsion than Newton and than the duty of those 10 or hundred people to prevent the publication of those discoveries. However, although Newton didn't know this, there were also duties to kill without sanctions, loot markets, etc.

Polish text:
Mnie ludzie powierzyli tylko naiwięcej „bardzo cudowne” obowiązki. To znaczy, nie są obowiązki prawne, ale podstawowo są obowiązki jak decydować zapobiec buntowi… chociaż nie realizuję planów, chyba że muszę (czasami to jest dobre dla wszystkich ludzi). Mowiłesz, że moje pisanie nie jest jasne, ale myślałesz, że nie wyjaśniałem go jakoś dostatecznie jasno. Być może zauważasz poprawne, że życzę to robić. Jest tak. Raczej, nawet nie mogą odkrycia Keplera, Newtona, itd., zostać opublikowane, i jeżeliby dali swoje jedyne życia, byłoby tylko dziesięcioro lub sto osób i byłby większy przymus jego Newtona i jego obowiązku dziesięciu albo stu osób, żeby zapobiegali opublikowaniu tych odkryć. Tymczasem, chociaż Newton nie wiedział go, były także obowiązki zabijać bez sankcji, kraść z rynków, itd.
To me people have entrusted only the most “very marvelous” obligations. That is, they aren’t legal obligations, but they basically are obligations how to decide to prevent a riot… although I don’t execute plans except when I have to (sometimes that is good for all people). You said that my writing isn’t clear but you thought that I haven’t explained it somehow sufficiently clearly. Perhaps you observe correctly that I wish to do it. That’s so. Rather, even they can’t the discoveries of Kepler, Newton, etc., to be published, and if they gave their single lives, were they only ten or a hundred men and it would be the bigger force of his Newton and his obligation of the 10 or hundred men that they prevent the publication of these discoveries. Meanwhile, although Newton didn’t know, there were also obligations to kill without sanction, steal from markets, etc.

Esperanto text:
La homoj al mi konfidintaj estas sole la plej "tre miraklaj" devoj. Ĝi signifas, ili ne estas devoj juraj, sed baze ili estas devoj al decidi pro malhelpi la ribelon. Kvankam mi ne sekvas planojn, se mi ne devas (iutempe ĝi estas bona al ĉiuj homoj). Vi diris, ke mia skribo ne estas klara, sed vi pensis, ke mi ne klarigas ĝin iel sufiĉe. Pove vi pensas, ke mi volus klarigi ĝin pli bone. Vi estas korekta. Prefere, eĉ malkovroj de Kepler, Newton, kaj aliaj, ne povas esti publikigatoj, kaj se ili donus iliajn solajn vivojn, estus sole dek aǔ cent homoj, kaj la devo de Newton kaj de la dek-cent homoj estus pli grandaj pro malhelpi publikigi la malkovroj. Samtempe, kvankam Newton ne sciis ĝin, ili estas ankaǔ la devoj mortigi sen sekvoj, ŝteli de merkatoj…
The people have confided me only the most "very miraculous" duties. It means, they are not legal duties, but basically they are duties to decide in order to prevent the rebellion. However, I don't follow plans if I don't have to (sometimes it is good for all the people). You said my writing is not clear, but you think I don't clarify it any enough. Maybe you are thinking that I would wish to clarify it better. You are right. Rather, even discoveries of Kepler, Newton &c. cannot be published and if they gave out their only lives, it would be only ten or one hundred people, and the duties of Newton and those ten to one hundred people would be greater in order to prevent publishing the discoveries. Meanwhile, however Newton didn't know it, the duties are also to kill without consequences, steal from markets …

Spanish text:
Los hombres qui confiaron en mí son solamente las labores más milagrosas. Es decir, no son las labores legítimas, pero básicamente son labores para decidir dificultar la rebelión. Aunque no sigo generalmente planes si no es necesario, en algún momento les gustan planes a todos. Tú dijiste que mi escritura no es clara, pero creíste que no puedo nunca escribir suficientemente. Tal vez piensas que querría la mejorar - estas correcto. Preferiblemente, hasta los descubrimiento de Kepler, Newton y otros no pueden ser los publicaciones - y si dan su únicas vidas a los hombres, habría solo diez o ciento hombres, y la labor de Newton y las decenas de hombres estaría mucho más grande para dificultar la publicación de los descubrimiento. Por otra parte, bien que Newton no supiera, hay también las labores para matar sin consecuencias, para robar los comercio...
The people who confided in me are only the most miraculous duties. This means they aren't lawful duties, but they are basically duties to decide to hinder the rebellion. Although I don't generally follow plans if I don't have to, sometimes everyone likes a plan. You said that my handwriting isn't clear, but you thought that I can never write sufficiently. Maybe you think that I would want to make it better - you are correct. Preferably, even the discoveries of Kepler, Newton and others can't be publications - and if they would give people their only life, there would only be ten or one hundred men, and the duty of Newton and the tens of men would be much bigger to hinder the publishing of the discoveries. At the same time, although Newton didn't know it, there are also duties to kill without consequence, to rob stores...

Atrulfal-From Spanish into Portuguese
Portuguese text:
Os homens que confiaram em mim são apenas os trabalhos mais milagrosos. Isso é, eles não são trabalhos legítimos, mas simplesmente são tarefas para decidir a difícil rebelião. Embora que eu geralmente não siga planos se não for necessário, em algum momento eles gostaram de todos os planos. Houveras-me dito que a minha escrita não é clara, mas acreditava que eu não nunca poderia escrever o bastante. Talvez acreditavas que queria me melhorar - estás correto. De preferência, os descobrimentos de Kepler, Newton e outros não possam publicados - e se eles dessem sua próprias vidas aos homens, haveria apenas dez ou cem homens, e o trabalho de Newton e das dezenas de homens estaria grande de mais para dificultar a publicação dos descobrimentos. Porem, ainda bem que Newton não sabia, há também esforços pra matar sem consequências, pra roubar o comércio . . .
The men that trusted in me are only the works most miraculous. That is, they are not legit works, but basically are tasks to decide the difficult rebellion. Although that I usually do not follow plans if it is not necessary, at some point they liked of all plans. You have said to me that my writing is not clear, however you believed that I could never write enough. Maybe you believed that I wanted to get better - you're correct. Preferably, the findings of Kepler, Newton and others won't be published - and if they gave their own lives to men, there would be only ten or hundred, and the work of Newton and of dozens of men would be too great to difficult the publication of their findings. However, it’s good that Newton didn't knew, that there also attempts to kill without consequences, or to steal trade.

JMCD- From Portuguese into German
German text:
Die Männer die mir vertrauen sind kaum die wunderbarste Arbeiter. Ja, und sie sind nicht rechtmäßige Arbeiter aber waren einfach Pflicht die schwierige Aufstand festzusetzen. Obwohl ich im Allgemein nicht Pläne folgte wenn es nicht sein muss, mochten sie auf irgendwelchen Moment alle die Pläne. Du könntest mir sagen, dass meine Schreibung nicht klar ist aber er glaubt, dass ich könnte jetzt nicht genug schreiben. Vielleicht glaubt er, dass er wollte mich verbessern - du bist korrekt. Vorzugsweise, die Entdeckungen Keplers, Newtons und von Anderen, die konnten nicht veröffentlicht worden - und wenn sie ihre eigene Leben für die Menschheit geben hätten, würde ich nur zehn oder hundert Männer haben, und das Arbeit Newtons und die Zehner Männer wird schwerer gewesen sein die Veröffentlichungen der Entdeckungen zu behindern. Jedoch wusste Newton nicht (zum Glück), dass es Belastungen um ohne Folge zu töten gibt, um das Geschäft zu stehlen ...
The men who trust me are hardly the most wonderful of workers. Yes, and they are not legitimate workers but were simply obliged to put the difficult rebellion into place. Although I don't generally follow plans if they don't have to be, they like all the plans at any moment. You could tell me that my writing is not clear but he thinks that I couldn't write enough now. Maybe he thinks that he wanted to improve me - you are correct. Preferably, the discoveries of Kepler, Newton and others who couldn't be published - and if they would have given their own lives for humanity, I would only have ten or a hundred men and the work of Newton and the tens of men will have been more difficult to prevent the publication of the discoveries thereof. However, Newton (fortunately) didn't know that there were efforts to kill without consequences, in order to steal the shop...

Gufferdk-From German to English
Final result:
The men who trust me are not exactly the best of workers. Oh, and they are not legitimate workers, but were in fact imprisoned forced labourers of the problematic revolt. Even though I usually do not follow plans when it does not have to be so, they would like all the plans at some point. You could say to me that my writing is not clear but he thinks that I currently could not write enough. Maybe he thinks that he wanted to improve me - you are correct. As an experiment the discoveries of Kepler, Newton and others cannot become public - and if they had given their lives to humanity I would only have had 10 or 100 men and the work of Newton and the tenner men will have been harder to deprive the public of the discoveries. Meanwhile, Newton (luckily) did not know that there are liabilities to murder without consequences, to steal the business...
Last edited by Viktor77 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:44 am, edited 30 times in total.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Is there interest in a Polyglottal Telephone XVIII?

Post by jmcd »

Ja plox

From: Scottish Gaelic, Malagasy, any French-based creole, any living Germanic (including German dialects) or Romance
To: Scottish Gaelic, Malagasy, Scots, Réunion Creole, German, French, English

You don't seem to have specified the order so I put in order of preference

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

jmcd wrote:You don't seem to have specified the order so I put in order of preference
Thanks for pointing that out. I have now specified by order of preference.

For me I will do:
To: French, Spanish, English
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

gufferdk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gufferdk »

I'm interested. I can do:
Any Continental North Germanic (except Dalecarlian) (preferrably something standardised, though not a requirement)
English
Standard German

To:
Rigsdansk (Standard Danish)
English
Something resembling a strong Northwestern Jutlandic Danish Dialect (warning - no standardised orthography)
Standard German
Languages i speak fluently: Dansk, English
Languages i am studying: Deutsch, Español

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

We might be able to do something quite fun using nonstandardized variants of languages, if there is enough agreement on them.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Latin, any standard Romance language other than Romanian, Mandarin, English

To:
Latin, French, Mandarin, Spanish, English

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

English, Polish, Esperanto

To:
English, Polish, Esperanto
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'd been considering this... has it really been three years? damn.

I'll offer
To: Japanese, Latin

and will consider/discuss similar languages if this is too inflexible. I deliberately didn't put down English btw.

PMs aren't a problem because I get email alerts, but plz keep us posted and let me know when I'm likely to do it. I'll be away from the 15-19th, and while it'll be possible for me to do it while I'm away, I'd appreciate a heads up so that I can prepare, and bring my dictionary if needs be.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

finlay wrote:I'd been considering this... has it really been three years? damn.
PMs aren't a problem because I get email alerts, but plz keep us posted and let me know when I'm likely to do it. I'll be away from the 15-19th, and while it'll be possible for me to do it while I'm away, I'd appreciate a heads up so that I can prepare, and bring my dictionary if needs be.
Yea, 3 years, but I have no problem leading it this time.

Anyway, of course I will keep everyone updated. If we get started in the next week or two I will try to put you at the end. But in all honesty considering we need about 5-10 people per team, I don't think we're going to start anytime soon. We have to await more interest.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Yes, it's a long time since we had one!

From: German, English, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Czech, Bulgarian, Serbocroatian
To: German, English, Dutch, French, Russian, Polish

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

bump because i'd like to see more people replying

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

finlay wrote:bump because i'd like to see more people replying
Yes indeed. We've got 7 and we need at least 20 for two teams. If we want we can do a 1 team telephone with 10 members?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Yeah, a one-team version would be workable. IIRC it started out thusly anyway.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

yeah the team thing is what we did when it got too big!

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by kanejam »

I'll tentatively put my name in the hat, although I'm fairly busy so I can't commit 100%.

From: French, Spanish, Latin, Italian, Esperanto, Haitian, Māori (long shot)

To: French (my strongest), Spanish, Māori
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I have a tentative line up. We could use some more people. I could use someone willing to translate from Japanese. Some more interest in Slavic languages or Mandarin. Someone willing to go to French Creole (Haitian or Réunion), or from Maori or from Scottish Gaelic.

I want to give people more interesting languages, and especially languages other than their mother tongues so that's why I'd like to try some of these options instead of more typical ones which will fit into the paradigm.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

OK, I'll try to make a list of my own. :D

From: Malayalam, Mandarin Chinese (traditional or simplified), German, French, Spanish, English, Romani, Portuguese, Catalan, Italian, Russian, Tamil, Hindi, Bengali, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (either Roman or Cyrillic script) or Bulgarian, Latin, Turkish, Swahili, Urdu, Punjabi, other South Slavic, (Standard?) Swedish, Dutch, Persian, Norwegian (Bokmål)/Standard Danish, Azeri, Thai, Indonesian/Malay, Tagalog, Malagasy, Oriya, some other variety of Norwegian, Japanese, some other Slavic language, Arabic, Korean

To: English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (preferably Roman script), Mandarin Chinese (simplified), Mandarin Chinese (traditional), Portuguese, Hindi, Urdu, Swahili, Turkish, Latin, Malayalam
Viktor77 wrote:sign up for an email alert.
How do we do that?
Do not post translations in this thread, and try not to spoil anything.
Can we post translations anywhere else on the forum, or does it need to be all by PM?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Vijay wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:sign up for an email alert.
How do we do that?
Do not post translations in this thread, and try not to spoil anything.
Can we post translations anywhere else on the forum, or does it need to be all by PM?
Wow, I've never seen a list like that before. Just know that I am liable to give you any of those. But I'm glad to see you enter. :)

In your profile you can chose to have your email alerted when you get a PM.

You can't post any translations or any text at all while the game is in play. Everything remains secret until the final text is submitted and then displayed.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Viktor77 wrote:Wow, I've never seen a list like that before. Just know that I am liable to give you any of those.
I know. I even added a few in later after writing out the initial list. ;) It'd be interesting to see how it goes in the end. :D

And thanks! :)

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Ok, I'm going to say we should get started so here is the list. I wanted to do some more unusual languages but this is what I could work out. If there is one more new member volunteering to go Danish to English at the end they can have it, otherwise I'm going to take it because I didn't want Gufferdk to have to translate into English since it's rather boring. If we get a last person they can offer to go from a Danish dialect to English but I am only willing to do Rigsdansk.

I hope everyone is happy with this. If so we will get started!

Serafin-From French into Latin
Finlay-From Latin into Japanese
Vijay- From Japanese into Croatian
JMCD- From Spanish into German
Gufferdk-From German into Danish
Viktor-From Danish into English
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Glad to have you on board, Vijay!

Thanks for organising this btw, Viktor!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

jmcd wrote:Glad to have you on board, Vijay!
Thanks! I'm going to try my best translating from Japanese to Croatian! :D (Kanji, do your stuff, lol!)

EDIT: Wait a minute. I have a question.
Viktor77 wrote:• You must provide an English translation unless your translation is into English. Since English is the language of our forum this is to provide everyone with an opportunity to read how the text progressed at various levels in the game.
• Once you have finished your translation, you must then immediately PM it to the next team member. Please also PM it to me along with your English translation. This is crucial as I must compile all of the translations as the game progresses.
So, in my case (for example), I'm supposed to translate from Japanese to Croatian, provide an English translation of the Croatian (right?)...and then what? Do I send both the Croatian and the English to both you (Viktor) and hwhatting (the next team member)? Or do I send only the Croatian to him and both translations to you?
Last edited by Vijay on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

No problem, JMCD!
Vijay wrote:So, in my case (for example), I'm supposed to translate from Japanese to Croatian, provide an English translation of the Croatian (right?)...and then what? Do I send both the Croatian and the English to both you (Viktor) and hwhatting (the next team member)? Or do I send only the Croatian to him and both translations to you?
You translate the text from Finlay that is in Japanese into Croatian. Then you send ONLY the Croatian text to Hwhatting. You then send me both the Croatian and an English translation of the Croatian (not the Japanese) text to me. The reason is so that when everything is compiled someone who doesn't speak Croatian can know what you wrote in Croatian. So you have 2 translations to do. Hope that's clear!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Polyglottal Telephone XVIII *Langs posted. The game begi

Post by Vijay »

OK, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks! :)

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Polyglottal Telephone XVIII *Langs posted. The game begi

Post by kanejam »

Geez that's an impressive list Vijay! It's somewhat surprising that there's only one person familiar with Mandarin, and somewhat expected but still disappointing that I won't be practising my Māori :P

The lineup still looks good, and there is a decent mix of languages (with a very heavy European bias but still).
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.