Polyglottal Telephone XVIII *Results posted!*

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Polyglottal Telephone XVIII *Langs posted. The game begi

Post by Viktor77 »

Kanejam, I would've loved to have seen Maori. We can do it but JMCD would have to agree to translate out of it.

Yea there's usually a heavy Indo-European bias but that's just a result of the majority of us being from that part of the world I imagine.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

I know about one or two words and about nothing else of Maori, not a jot of grammar, so I'll give it a miss. Mahorais, on the other hand, I would be willing to translate from despite knowing little of it by heart because I have actually studied and even had text-based conversation in it (I suddenly know more than twice as many languages with dictionaries and grammars in front of me). I don't know when I'd get the chance to use with a speaker of the language here though. And I would be glad to have Malagasy next time (with Vijay?).

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

jmcd wrote:I know about one or two words and about nothing else of Maori, not a jot of grammar, so I'll give it a miss. Mahorais, on the other hand, I would be willing to translate from despite knowing little of it by heart because I have actually studied and even had text-based conversation in it (I suddenly know more than twice as many languages with dictionaries and grammars in front of me). I don't know when I'd get the chance to use with a speaker of the language here though. And I would be glad to have Malagasy next time (with Vijay?).
I was thinking about how to incorporate Malagasy but I don't see how right now. I'm going to maintain the chain but for the next Polyglottal (if I run it anyway) I'll be sure to give you Malagasy. Alternatively, if Gufferdk would be in agreement you could translate into Malagasy or Scottish Gaelic if he'd be willing to translate out of it.

Otherwise I am now sending the text to Serafin for Latin.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

gufferdk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gufferdk »

Viktor77 wrote:
jmcd wrote:I know about one or two words and about nothing else of Maori, not a jot of grammar, so I'll give it a miss. Mahorais, on the other hand, I would be willing to translate from despite knowing little of it by heart because I have actually studied and even had text-based conversation in it (I suddenly know more than twice as many languages with dictionaries and grammars in front of me). I don't know when I'd get the chance to use with a speaker of the language here though. And I would be glad to have Malagasy next time (with Vijay?).
I was thinking about how to incorporate Malagasy but I don't see how right now. I'm going to maintain the chain but for the next Polyglottal (if I run it anyway) I'll be sure to give you Malagasy. Alternatively, if Gufferdk would be in agreement you could translate into Malagasy or Scottish Gaelic if he'd be willing to translate out of it.

Otherwise I am now sending the text to Serafin for Latin.
I'll sadly not translate out of either Scottish Gaelic or Malagasy. Both languages are on my languages-to-look-up-and-learn-a-bit-about-them-at-some-point-list though.

Also I am not totally confident in my ability to do the German but I have a good dictionary and I got the equivalent of A(-) in my last German exam so it'll probably be fine
Languages i speak fluently: Dansk, English
Languages i am studying: Deutsch, Español

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Ok, thank you Gufferdk. I'm sure the German will be fine. People always offer up more languages to translate from, especially even when they haven't formerly studied them much. It's translating to that is the tricky part.

I am searching for someone to do the last step Danish to English since I realized I could be biased in doing it since I know the text. I have messaged some of our Swedish members. Hopefully someone responds.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

kanejam wrote:Geez that's an impressive list Vijay!
Thanks! :)
jmcd wrote:And I would be glad to have Malagasy next time (with Vijay?).
Sure! It so happens I used to work on a research project in grad school about five years ago where I had to work on Malagasy. I found a whole bunch of resources for Malagasy and saved them in a Google doc that I still have, plus translations of a few Malagasy news articles into English by native speakers. I'm sure those'll come in handy. :)
Viktor77 wrote:I am searching for someone to do the last step Danish to English since I realized I could be biased in doing it since I know the text. I have messaged some of our Swedish members. Hopefully someone responds.
I can do that if you like (I mean, at least as long as it's Standard Danish). In fact, Danish is higher up on my list than Japanese anyway. :D

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Does it not occur to anyone else that having the same person translate from English in the first stage and then back to English in the last stage completely ruins the entire point of this game?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Xephyr wrote:Does it not occur to anyone else that having the same person translate from English in the first stage and then back to English in the last stage completely ruins the entire point of this game?
Maybe that's why VIktor said he's looking for someone else to do the last stage.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Why not just reduce the number of stages by one and have Gufferdk translate straight into English? It's better than having the last translator already know what the original text was, which ruins the entire idea of the game.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Xephyr wrote:Does it not occur to anyone else that having the same person translate from English in the first stage and then back to English in the last stage completely ruins the entire point of this game?
It did occur to me. I won't be doing it no matter what. Do you want to do it?

If not Gufferdk will go to English.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Viktor77 wrote:Do you want to do it?
Judging from his last post, I'm guessing his answer is "no." :D

Oh, also, about the Indo-European bias, well...Indo-European languages are spoken in a huge chunk of Eurasia, most of the languages there are learning resources widely available for are Eurasian, so put two and two together and of course there's a heavy bias towards Indo-European. :)

gufferdk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gufferdk »

If we can't find someone else who is willing to go from either Northwestern Jutlandic Danish or Standard Danish to English, I have no problem translating to English.
Languages i speak fluently: Dansk, English
Languages i am studying: Deutsch, Español

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Vijay wrote:I can do that if you like (I mean, at least as long as it's Standard Danish). In fact, Danish is higher up on my list than Japanese anyway. :D
;)

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Sent the Latin text to finlay.

Atrulfal
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Atrulfal »

Is it too late or maybe could I still join ?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Atrulfal wrote:Is it too late or maybe could I still join ?
You can join at the end but you'd have to be able to translate from Danish. And unfortunately you will be translating into English. But you will be producing the final product.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Atrulfal wrote:Is it too late or maybe could I still join ?
What languages can you do like?

Atrulfal
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Atrulfal »

Viktor77 wrote: You can join at the end but you'd have to be able to translate from Danish. And unfortunately you will be translating into English. But you will be producing the final product.
Ops, I don't know Danish that well, or anything at all about it to be precise, so . . . yeah sorry.
jmcd wrote:What languages can you do like?
Portuguese, English, Spanish, Italian, French and German.

To:
Portuguese, English and Spanish

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Atrulfal wrote:From:
Portuguese, English, Spanish, Italian, French and German.

To:
Portuguese, English and Spanish
I can't see how to fit you in. Maybe someone else sees how? I don't want to repeat French.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I could do Japanese to German, Atrulfal could do German to Spanish, and hwhatting could do Spanish to Polish instead.

EDIT: Hmm, but then I guess the problem there is repeating language pairs...like German-Spanish, right?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Vijay wrote:I could do Japanese to German, Atrulfal could do German to Spanish, and hwhatting could do Spanish to Polish instead.
It's a good idea but we have German once already for Gufferdk and I don't want to repeat any languages. And I liked having another Slavic language like Croatian.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Maybe we could have Atrulfal do Spanish to Portuguese and jmcd do Portuguese to German?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Vijay wrote:Maybe we could have Atrulfal do Spanish to Portuguese and jmcd do Portuguese to German?
Ah! Perfect! I didn't see that!

Ok, Atrulfal, you're going from Spanish to Portuguese and JMCD you are now going from Portuguese to German.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Atrulfal
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Atrulfal »

Viktor77 wrote:
Vijay wrote:Maybe we could have Atrulfal do Spanish to Portuguese and jmcd do Portuguese to German?
Ah! Perfect! I didn't see that!

Ok, Atrulfal, you're going from Spanish to Portuguese and JMCD you are now going from Portuguese to German.
Ok! :-D

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Glad we've reached a solution! The more the merrier!