[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Words you've learned recently

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:25 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:12 am 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

പരിവർത്തനം [pəɾiˈʋərt̪ɛnəm] 'change, (non-religious) conversion'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Russian кутила "boozer"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Some words I learned just from talking to my dad yesterday:

ഒറ്റമൂലി [ottəˈmuːli] 'cure-all'
തടത്തുണി [t̪əˈɖət̪uɳi] 'potholder'
അടിയന്തരം [əɖiˈjen̪d̪əɾəm] 'memorial service'
തിരോധനം [t̪iˈɾoːd̪ʱɛnəm] 'retreat, stage exit'

My dad also noted to me that potholders in Kerala aren't manufactured, i.e. people just use some kind of cloth as a potholder instead of buying something that's specifically intended for that purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 am 
Smeric
Smeric

potholder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:45 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Oh, you didn't know that word?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Nope. I had to google it to know what it is. Until now, I would have just called them "mitten-y things" lol ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:43 am 
Sanno
Sanno

"Oven glove". A "potholder" suggests to me some sort of mechanism to hold a pot, I think - you know, like the metal loop things that you sometimes see in chemistry. Maybe a "pot holder" would include those weird plastic not-gloves that you can get now for holding pots? But I don't think "potholder" is really a word for me.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:11 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:53 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Maybe I should have said this earlier, but oven mitts are slightly different from potholders AFAIK.

Oven mitts look like gloves:

Potholders look like this:

The idea if I understand it correctly being that you use oven mitts to take things out of an oven or whatever and potholders to hold a pot that's on the stove and doesn't have handles you can touch without burning yourself.

Of course, in reality, you can use whichever you want for whichever of those purposes, so it makes sense if there isn't a strict distinction between these two things (and of course, I'm speaking entirely from my own perspective here. Maybe people in the UK only have oven mitts and no potholders, idk; it would make enough sense, I think).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Russian:
саван sávan "shroud, pall"
чарка chárka "cup, goblet"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

chit (plural chits)

— A child or babe; a young, small, or insignificant person or animal.
— A pert or sassy young person, especially a young woman.

When was the last time you heard that word used in the latter sense?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I think this may be the first time I've heard it can mean either of those things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Yeah, the only chit I know of is the kind that comes from Hindi [t͡ʃɪˈʈʰːi] (and only in British English with RP).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:48 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

There's a "slender little chit of a girl-woman" in a from 1913, but I know I've never read it.

I'm currently reading a novella of Lovecraft's set in the Dreamlands so I'm learning a swath of new mineralogical terms like diorite ("diarite" in his spelling) and aventurine. I'm sure these will come in super handy when I decide to go into the antiques trade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Magu /ˈma.giː/ "to bring up a child/children".

I love this word. The first time I came across it was on the Say Something in Welsh course recently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:47 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:49 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

I have heard 'chit', though usually in something like 'chit of a girl' or 'chit of a thing'. It's hard to distinguish the two meanings, frankly - it's a diminutive but it often suggests a certain cheekiness or exuberant naivity.
Those interested in politics may encounter the Ministry of the Chits, in the late 17th century.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next