[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Words you've learned recently

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:18 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

മുതലാക്കുക [mud̪əˈlaːkʊga] 'to get a deal'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:09 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Russian крага (krága) "gaiter"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:34 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Aw, man! I learned that in German not too long ago and I've forgotten it!

At the moment I'm learning a lot of dated Irish English/UK English slang from reading Behan's Borstal boy. Like "screwing" for "burglary" and "scoff" for "food".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Gaiter, noun.
1. A covering for the ankle and instep (cf. spats)
2. A covering from the knee to the instep
3. Part of the ecclesiastical garb of a bishop

Now that I've learnt it, I rememer having heard of 'wading gaiters', and probably seen them, though actually what I think I've seen referred to as wading gaiters may not have been, as they rose above the knee.

"Gaiters" are both the weird things that american horseriders wear (fabric pretending to be greaves), and those long sock things that anglican churchmen wear in period dramas. They're also apparently the little band things that some soldiers used to have holding the ends of their trousers tight. There may even be other uses!

Thanks, potentially useful word.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:14 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

SSC: I first learned that word from a Wurzels song.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:57 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The other day I learned "midden" because a book I was reading kept using it and I'd never seen it before. Then literally the very next day I was reading another, completely unrelated book which used it twice.

There's a word for that, isn't there?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:20 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Swedish:

skugga - shadow
svepa - to sweep
hugga - to slash
svag - weak
mäktig - mighty
rop - cry/call

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

invacuate: to confine (people) to a closed area in an emergency situation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Learned this one at the open day for the (I was actually there for the specifically linguistics sections, but you couldn't avoid getting some stuff about the MML as well):

die Waldeinsamkeit "the feeling of being alone in the woods"

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:21 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:30 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:31 am 
Smeric
Smeric

My most recent quiz:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:53 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I just learnt the word echnos (ɛxnɔs) which is Welsh for the night before yesterday / the night before last. I like it, it's a pretty word. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:51 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:52 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Me and a French speaker just learned that s'emporter can be used for a horse as in:

Le cheval s'est emporté quand il a ouvert le portail.
The horse bolted off when he opened the gate.

Also I learned that French has weird words for stage right and stage left which respectively are le côté jardin et le côté cour.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:29 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I learned all these words from trying to translate part of my grandfather's diary today since my internet connection had gone out and I could do it without one:

കെടുതി [kɛˈɖʊd̪i] 'ruin, loss, danger, risk, disease'
മുക്കോണ് [muˈkoːɳɯ] 'triangle'
വർദ്ധിപ്പിക്കുക [ʋərd̪ʱiˈpikʲʊga] 'to increase, multiply, grow, prosper, become better'
കവിയുക [kəˈʋijʊga] 'to exceed, overflow, go beyond limits'
കാഴ്ചപ്പാട് [kaːɻt͡ʃəˈpaːɖɯ] 'range of vision, view, standpoint, point of view, stance'
വത്സരം [ˈʋəlsəɾəm] 'year'
പ്രതിസന്ധി [prəd̪iˈsən̪d̪ʱi] 'crisis, critical juncture'
അപേക്ഷിക്കുക [əˈbeːʈʃikʲʊga] 'to request, apply for'

Last edited by Vijay on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

(Sort of) learned two more words today:

മട [məˈɖa] - my dad claimed today that this word means 'screen' and used it in this sense. However, neither of my dictionaries appears to agree.

കാഞ്ഞിരം [ˈkaːɲɪɾəm] 'strychnine tree', from my mom's mom's family name [ˈkaːɲɪɾəpəɭɭɪl], and from there:

strychnine, which apparently is pronounced [ˈst͡ʃɹɪk.niːn]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:02 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:09 am 
Smeric
Smeric

More words from my grandfather's diary:

വേതനം [ˈʋeːd̪ɛnəm] 'salary, wages, remuneration'
മതിപ്പ് [məˈd̪ipɯ] 'esteem, respect, estimation, valuation, what is based on demand'
പ്രോത്സാഹിപ്പിക്കു [proːlˈsaːhipikʲʊga] 'to encourage, inspire, prompt, cheer up'
പരിശ്രമിക്കുക [pəɾiˈɕrəmikʲʊga] 'to attempt, work hard, try to'
കാട്ടുക [ˈkaːʈʊga] '(intransitive) to do, perform; (transitive) to show, disclose, point, betray'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:29 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Last edited by Sglod on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:10 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:49 am 
Smeric
Smeric

സംഘടിപ്പിക്കുക [ˈsəŋgʱəɖipikʲʊga] 'to organize'
ആറാട്ട് [aːˈraːʈɯ] 'ceremonial bathing, including of an idol in a river on the last day of a religious festival'
ഘോഷയാത്ര [gʱoːʃəˈjaːt̪ra] 'procession, journey to the village of shepherds(!)'
മകരവിളക്ക് [məˈgəɾəʋɪɭəkɯ] ''
തിരുവാഭരണം [t̪iɾuˈʋaːbʱəɾəɳəm] 'ornaments used for adorning deities in temples' (this is the way my dictionary puts it)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:54 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:31 am 
Niš
Niš

I learned mesnarde, the french word for a small room under the roof of a house.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next