[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Words you've learned recently

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:28 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:24 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by Vijay on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

This isn't so much a word I've learnt, but a phrase in Welsh which I can't make head nor tail of...

Man a man y mwnci... which apparently means "Might as well... / May as well...". But it seems to be saying something about "...place of the monkey" and I have no idea how some Welsh speakers somewhere thought that was a good way to say it :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:08 am 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:12 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I learned "L'obscurantisme" in French which when I went to translate turned out to be "obscurantism" in English, so I learned an English and French word today.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:09 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Mer svenska... :

torr : dry
blöt : wet
gaffel : fork
sked : spoon
omöjlig : impossible
lämna : leave
skada : damage
högljudd : loud
skottkärra : wheelbarrow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:57 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

There's a song (lullaby?) that I've heard my dad sing to us before, but I didn't learn until now that it was a song my grandfather made up when my dad was just a baby. From the beginning of that, I learned the following words and information:

അറക്കുക [əˈrəkʊga] 'to saw' (I could tell what this meant because I already know the deverbal noun അറപ്പ് [əˈrəpɯ], although I misheard this part of the song at first and thought it meant something very different :P)
പടി [pəˈɖi] 'step'
പടിക്കൽ [pəˈɖikəl] 'in front of', because in Kerala, houses would often have steps in front of them because they were built at a slightly high elevation in order to avoid being submerged during a flood (although this trick didn't really work).
പാമരം [ˈpaːməɾəm] - the platform where you lay a log when sawing it into planks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:26 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Is that a problem? White elephant, elephant in the room, whale of a tale, to parrot sth., head in the sand ostrich, 80 pound gorilla, the lion's share, straw that broke the camel's back, etc. are all named for animals not found in the British Isles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:12 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Particularly as the hedgehog, as we know, cannot be buggered at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:18 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:06 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:04 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I like Pratchett but maybe don't his work well enoguh.. I thought it was a reference to Cameron's pig..

And yes, good point Xephyr.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:25 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:36 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Yeah, popty ping is another one of my pet peeves.

You often get these listed in selections of expressions for learners, too. I don't really understand, but eh.

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:47 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

My pet peeve with Malayalam is probably when certain sentences are repeated as linguistic examples. "The kid pinched the elephant" is the classic one, but there's also "the kid sold the elephant to his (own) mom"(!).

Finally, after all these years, my parents told me just now what ഇമ്പോ ഇമ്പോ (sp?) [imˈboː jimˈboː] means. It's what some Malayalees say to call a dog over. I guess it's like how, say, Americans might clap their hands or whistle or something for the same purpose. Until now, I only knew this expression in the context of another expression "പട്ടി ഇമ്പോ ഇമ്പോ" [pəˈʈi jimˈboː jimˈboː]. This expression in term was something my dad would use in a context to jokingly show that he was certain something would happen with the formula "if [X doesn't happen], you can call me [pəˈʈi jimˈboː jimˈboː]."

പട്ടി [pəˈʈi] means 'dog', and I also learned from my dad that apparently, the point of this expression is to insult the addressee by suggesting that they're no better or higher in social status than a dog. I've heard at least one other similar expression in Malayalam literally meaning something like "even if a dog ends up in the middle of the sea, the only way it knows how to drink is by licking," with the implication that the addressee has no more sophistication than said dog.

I also learned these Hindi/Urdu words from :
سنور संवर [ˈsə̃ʋəɾ](?) 'restraint, self-control, forbearance, continence'
گله (شکوه) गिला (शिकवा) [gɪˈlaː] ([ʃɪk(ə)ˈʋaː]) 'complaint, lamentation, reproach, blame, accusation, remonstrance'
بهلا भला [bʱəˈla] - something like 'good, welfare'
مجبور मजबूर [məd͡ʒ(ə)ˈbuːɾ] 'oppressed'
چور चूर [t͡ʃuːɾ] 'crushed'

There are two songs in and with the same tune by the same composer, but I think both of those are about romantic love whereas the Hindi/Urdu one is about life as a street musician.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:59 am 
Smeric
Smeric

In Spanish:

la chocarrería 'coarseness, vulgarity'; una chocarrería 'dirty joke'

And a whole bunch of words in Malayalam:

പകർച്ചവ്യാധി [pəgərt͡ʃəˈʋjaːd̪ʱi] 'infectious disease' (formal term)
സാംക്രമിക രോഗം [ˈsaːŋgrəmiga ˈɾoːgəm] 'infectious disease' (another formal term)
പടരുന്ന സോക്കേട് [pəɖəˈɾʊn̪n̪a soːˈkeːɖɯ] 'infectious disease' (informal term)
കൂർ [kuːr] 'loyalty'
സദസ്സ് [səˈd̪əssɯ] 'royal court'
പേരേട് [peːˈɾeːɖɯ] 'ledger'
പ്രവചനവരം [prəˈʋəd͡ʒɛnəʋəɾəm] 'ability to predict'
ഈർക്കിലി [ˈjiːrkili] 'palm-leaf spine'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:37 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

So I've been learning a ton of words in Malayalam mainly due to my grandfather's diary and this epic poem I've been trying to memorize. I kept forgetting to submit it, so now it's turned into this monstrosity:

In addition, my dad taught me the word കൊശി [kɔˈɕi], which he says means "something like 'Epicurean'" (his exact words were ഒരുമാതിരി "Epicurean" എന്ന് പറഞ്ഞതുപോലെ [ɔɾuˈmaːd̪iɾi jɛpiˈkʲuːrijɛn ɛn̪n̪ɯ pərəɲəd̪ɯˈboːle]). I also learned the English phrases "Portia tree," "vetiver," and "currency paper" and that the English equivalent for the freshwater fish that we call വാള [ˈʋaːɭa] in Malayalam is "largehead hairtail."

Last edited by Vijay on Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 am 
Smeric
Smeric

വളയ്ക്കുക [ʋəˈɭɛkʲuga] 'to cause to bend, cheat, defraud'
പരിധി [pəˈɾid̪ʱi] 'limit, boundary, range, circumference, enclosure, horizon, covering, chariot wheel'
മാടം [ˈmaːɖəm] 'palace, cottage, low-caste person's hut, watchtower'
കമ്പിളി [kəmˈbɪɭi] 'woolen blanket' (I knew this meant a blanket but not specifically one made of wool)
കാലുറ [ˈkaːlura] 'pants, stockings'
അഭിഭാഷകൻ [əbʱiˈbʱaːʃəgɛn] 'advocate, lawyer'
വാഴ്ച [ˈʋaːɻt͡ʃa] 'living, rule, reign, existence, government'
പ്രദർശനം [prəˈd̪ərɕɛnəm] 'exhibition, display, prophecy, example'
സമർത്ഥിക്കുക [səˈmərt̪ʰikʲuga] 'to think, contend, justify support'
അവകാശം [əʋəˈgaːɕəm] 'claim, ownership, title, authority'
ഉഴലുക [uˈɻəluga] 'to wander, roam about, be troubled/perplexed/tired'
നിലനിർത്തുക [n̪ɪˈlən̪ɪrt̪ʊga] 'to perpetuate, establish'

I also learned that സമനില തെറ്റിക്കുക [səˈmə n̪ɪˈla t̪ɛtɪkʲʊga] means something like 'couldn't be more wrong'.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:10 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

How does the last phrase break down into words in a gloss?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:48 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next