[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Words you've learned recently

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:06 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 am 
Niš
Niš

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:27 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

reveille - (military) sounding of a bugle or drum early in the morning to awaken soldiers

പ്രഭാതഭേരി [prəbʱaːd̪əˈbʱeːɾi] 'reveille'
ഭേരി [ˈbʱeːɾi] 'large drum, kettledrum'
ബാധിക്കുക [ˈbaːd̪ʱɪkʲʊga] 'to torment, obstruct, stop progress, affect, be possessed (e.g. by a spirit)'
പ്രാപ്പിടിയൻ [ˈpraːpiɖijɛn] 'hawk, falcon'
വിസ്തരം [ʋɪsˈt̪əɾəm] 'elaborate description'
ദൗർല്ലഭ്യം [d̪əwrˈləbʱjəm] 'paucity, scarcity, lack'
വിതറുക [ʋɪˈd̪ərʊga] 'to sow, scatter, spill' (<- I forgot this word)
രൂക്ഷ [ˈɾuːʈʃa] 'severe, harsh, pungent, hard'
അധികൃതൻ [əˈd̪ʱigrɯd̪ɛn] 'superintendent, [person with] authority'
ചില്ലറ [t͡ʃɪlˈləra] 'insignificant, not much'
ദാക്ഷിണ്യം [ˈd̪aːʈʃɪɳjəm] 'mercy, kindness, generosity, munificence, favor, sympathy, concord'

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:20 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

French has a word for 'to masturbate with a dildo' se goder. I'm having a hard time being surprised by this, though.

Also I recently learned that apparently the French word bamboula 'shindig' has a racial connotation I didn't know about. I'm a bit sad because I liked using this word in silly contexts. In Belgium, I'd sometimes say on va organiser une bamboula chez nous. No one I hung out with ever made me aware of its negative connotations. It's curious, too, as I originally learned the word from a friend who used it in a similarly silly context. I wonder why the racial connotation is noted by some young French speakers but not by all young French speakers (my social circle in this case is young French speakers).

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:08 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I think it depends on context. If it's very clear from context that you mean "a party", I guess it can be alright. If you call a person "bamboula", then it's a racial slur.

I've just learned the word "shindig".

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:55 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My friend told me today in Polish: "Chęć uczenia się angielskiego mi nie przechodzi" (It means something like she has felt like learning English for some time and still feels like doing it). I didn't know the verb "przechodzić/przejść" for the meaning of "pass, become past", so I asked her in English what did she mean using it. She misused English negatives as if we were speaking Polish do I thought she doesn't like learning English at all. After a half of an hour she eventually managed (we were still speaking English) to explain me the meaning of this verbs she meant. Now she knows something more about English (I corrected her in places where she mislead me) and I know a new Polish word. Yuppie!!! :-D
(Eh, here are results of being from Subcarpathia.)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:30 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:28 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:41 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:55 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Am I the only weirded out by the fact that the French have apparently had a word for “dildo” since the Latin times?

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:13 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Ancient Greek ὄλισβος [from ὀλισθεῖν “to be slippery”] (leather) dildo.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I have an Ancient Greek comedy that my dad read where, from what I remember of what he said about it to me, all the women were genuinely concerned, if not downright upset or worse, about the prospect of losing their access to people selling sex toys.

Also, I forgot this word:

പിണയുക [pɪˈɳejuga] 'to happen by chance, be entangled, intertwine, mate, couple'

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Something I've been meaning to ask, Vijay: How many of the words that you list here do you remember a week or more later? I sometimes try to make lists of unfamiliar words that turn up in my reading so I can try to fix them in my mind later. More than once, I've found one of these weeks or months later and realised that I no longer remember what most of them mean. I'd do better seeing them in context, obviously, but I still can't say I've really "learned" them all.

For example, if I asked you, "What's Malayalam for 'atonement'?", would you be able to tell me off the top of your head? (I just looked at my first post and realised that I'd forgotten the words I gave for "coaster" in all language except BE.)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:44 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:42 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Well, when it comes to archaeology, everything's a ritual object.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am 
Smeric
Smeric

@Sal - I like that story.
Of course, it's also possible that the phalli were both instrument for masturbation and ritual object at the same time; masturbation may have had a ritual aspect.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:37 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I suppose it's plausible that masturbation *sometimes* had a ritual aspect, but it sounds like there's literally no evidence for that beyond the existence of the dildos themselves, and it is definitely *not* plausible that they never masturbated just to get off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next