Proto-Semitic Verbal Philology

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Proto-Semitic Verbal Philology

Post by Zaarin »

For some time I've wanted to create a triconsonantal language, but, without a sufficient understanding of the diachronic development of our only natural example, my results always came out as mechanical and artificial. I was pretty close to giving up and just going with ablaut and calling it close enough, but I decided to try further research as a better option. I started with Christopher Ehret's Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic (Afrasian): Vowels, Tone, Consonants, and Vocabulary. It's a good read and his theory on how Semitic's triconsonantal roots developed from PAA biconsonantal roots is very interesting (I'm aware it's controversial in Semitic studies, but for conlanging that's rather irrelevant). However, being chiefly interested in Cushitic and Chadic, Ehret has precious little to say about Semitic vowels and nothing about verbs--you know, the important part.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a reasonably straight-forward source focused on how the Proto-Semitic verbal system developed from its relatively tame PAA form into the unique system found in the Semitic languages?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Proto-Semitic Verbal Philology

Post by Salmoneus »

Zaarin wrote:For some time I've wanted to create a triconsonantal language, but, without a sufficient understanding of the diachronic development of our only natural example, my results always came out as mechanical and artificial. I was pretty close to giving up and just going with ablaut and calling it close enough, but I decided to try further research as a better option. I started with Christopher Ehret's Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic (Afrasian): Vowels, Tone, Consonants, and Vocabulary. It's a good read and his theory on how Semitic's triconsonantal roots developed from PAA biconsonantal roots is very interesting (I'm aware it's controversial in Semitic studies, but for conlanging that's rather irrelevant). However, being chiefly interested in Cushitic and Chadic, Ehret has precious little to say about Semitic vowels and nothing about verbs--you know, the important part.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a reasonably straight-forward source focused on how the Proto-Semitic verbal system developed from its relatively tame PAA form into the unique system found in the Semitic languages?
Mecislau's guide to triconsonantal systems, on this forum?
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Thank you, that's definitely moving me in the right direction at any rate. :)

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

Also, the below thread is a useful read showing one ZBBer going through the process of learning how to build a Semitic conlang.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42747
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Vardelm wrote:Also, the below thread is a useful read showing one ZBBer going through the process of learning how to build a Semitic conlang.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42747
Ah, excellent, there's some good stuff in there! Thank you! :D