Incorrect pronunciations you have (or have had) to unlearn

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Incorrect pronunciations you have (or have had) to unlea

Post by StrangerCoug »

Sumelic wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:Interestingly, that link suggests long o in 'bolt' and 'polka', but that's wrong, as the wiktionary entries for those words shows (although it does give both options for 'bolt'). I might sometimes have a long O in 'bolt', but I think that's just non-SSBE parental influence showing through.
I have it in all three.
@StrangerCoug: I think you're a North American English speaker, though, right? That's what would be expected for you.
Yes. I seem to have been confused about the matter at debate; sorry about that.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"Boutique" and "bouquet". In my native dialect, these both have /oː/. (I even once saw a bucket at a local discount florist with the label "BOKAYS".) Hard to say when I switched to a pronunciation with /uː/, but it would probably have to be at least twenty years ago.

It's hard to say how this originated. I wonder if it could've been influenced by beau (and its compounds, e.g. beaucoup) or bourgeois (/or/ and /ur/ merge IMD).

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

linguoboy wrote:"Boutique" and "bouquet". In my native dialect, these both have /oː/. (I even once saw a bucket at a local discount florist with the label "BOKAYS".) Hard to say when I switched to a pronunciation with /uː/, but it would probably have to be at least twenty years ago.

It's hard to say how this originated. I wonder if it could've been influenced by beau (and its compounds, e.g. beaucoup) or bourgeois (/or/ and /ur/ merge IMD).
Heh, I never knew bucket and bouquet were cognates. Maybe Hyacinth had a point after all, just was born on the wrong side of the Channel.

I've heard boutique and bouquet with /o/ too, and never really thought about it. I myself have always pronounced both words canonically with /u/.

I've never heard bourgeois with an /r/; I've only ever heard /'bu.ʒwa/. I grew up with a classmate whose last name was Bourgeois, and I bet that if not for that, I would have gone a long time mispronouncing bourgeoisie, which I originally thought was roughly "burgessy" but learned the proper pronunciation of at a much younger age then I think I normally would have otherwise, since I didnt really encounter the word in print until high school.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have /oʊ/ in bouquet as well, but /uː/ in boutique.

As for bourgeois and bourgeoisie I has /bʊˈʒwɑː/ and /bʊʒwɑːˈziː/.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

linguoboy wrote:I wonder if it could've been influenced by beau (and its compounds, e.g. beaucoup)
Huh, I didn't know that beaucoup derived from beau. It's obvious in retrospect, but I had never considered the etymology of beaucoup.

Incidentally, I had to learn (a few years ago) that in French, moult was supposed to be pronounced /mu/ instead of /mult/. It's the reflex of Latin multus, and cognate of Spanish mucho (unrelated to English much). The orthography moult is purely etymological, but as the word fell out of common use, a spelling pronunciation took over.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Ryusenshi wrote:Incidentally, I had to learn (a few years ago) that in French, moult was supposed to be pronounced /mu/ instead of /mult/. It's the reflex of Latin multus, and cognate of Spanish mucho (unrelated to English much). The orthography moult is purely etymological, but as the word fell out of common use, a spelling pronunciation took over.
If anything, I make the mistake of pronouncing too few consonants in French rather than too many, e.g. cassis, pastis, coup de grâce, grand mal, noir, Berlioz, Gigondas, Marseillaise.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

I used to pronounce "comrade" with /-eId/ until this week.

GamerGeek
Sanci
Sanci

Post by GamerGeek »

Similar to an earlier post, I pronounce linguist terms wrong.
I say velar as /velr/ and I misread alveolar, so I metathesise it as /əlevl.r/. I'm still not sure how to say it: /ælvelr/? Rhotic is /ratɪk/, and has no element of "rho" in there.
Edit: also bilabial /bɪlæbi.l/ and I still misread sibilant as silibant...
Last edited by GamerGeek on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamerGeek
Sanci
Sanci

Post by GamerGeek »

Travis B. wrote:I have /oʊ/ in bouquet as well, but /uː/ in boutique.
I pronounce it the other way around.
Last edited by GamerGeek on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

I realized alarmingly late that the P is actually pronounced in baptist and baptism. I assumed that it was silent, an etymological letter that nobody pronounces, because it's silent in the French cognates baptême and baptiste. I should have know better because, you know, French.

GamerGeek
Sanci
Sanci

Post by GamerGeek »

Ryusenshi wrote:I realized alarmingly late that the P is actually pronounced in baptist and baptism. I assumed that it was silent, an etymological letter that nobody pronounces, because it's silent in the French cognates baptême and baptiste. I should have know better because, you know, French.
battist!

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Soap wrote:I've never heard bourgeois with an /r/; I've only ever heard /'bu.ʒwa/. I grew up with a classmate whose last name was Bourgeois, and I bet that if not for that, I would have gone a long time mispronouncing bourgeoisie, which I originally thought was roughly "burgessy" but learned the proper pronunciation of at a much younger age then I think I normally would have otherwise, since I didnt really encounter the word in print until high school.
Burgess and bourgeois are cognates aren't they?
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

DesEsseintes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DesEsseintes »

Serafín wrote:I used to pronounce "comrade" with /-eId/ until this week.
That's how I pronounce it, and I believe that's how it's most often pronounced in the UK.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

diaspora. Apparently /di'æ.spə.rə/, not the /daɪə'spo.rə/ I've been thinking, and probably pronouncing, for all of my life.

thelema. Apparently /θəˈli.mə/, according to Wikipedia, not the /'θɛl.ə.mə/ I had been using.

Found some of the words in this thread at https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... troduction while looking up diaspora to see if my pronunc was listed at least as an alternate.
Bristel wrote:Burgess and bourgeois are cognates aren't they?
Apparently yes.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Soap wrote:diaspora. Apparently /di'æ.spə.rə/, not the /daɪə'spo.rə/ I've been thinking, and probably pronouncing, for all of my life.
Hari Kondabolu on "Diaspora": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtng_zRjSQY

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

linguoboy wrote:
Soap wrote:diaspora. Apparently /di'æ.spə.rə/, not the /daɪə'spo.rə/ I've been thinking, and probably pronouncing, for all of my life.
Hari Kondabolu on "Diaspora": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtng_zRjSQY
Antepenultimate stress is more regular, since the Greek is διασπορά, with a short vowel in the penult that wouldn't be assigned stress by the Latin stress rule (a similar case is the word "diastole"), but of course no one is obligated to care about this sort of thing. It's enough to make me prefer it, though, since I don't strongly associate the more irregular pronunciation with my mother. I've always used /aɪ/ in the first syllable though, which is certainly recorded in various dictionaries including the OED (as far as I know, neither /aɪ/ nor /i/ is particularly more regular as a pronunciation of "i" in this context; if there is a rule for this, it's not as straightforward as the Latin stress one).
Last edited by Sumelic on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamerGeek
Sanci
Sanci

Post by GamerGeek »

I thought it was /daiəsporə/... Apparently there's no h in "diasphora"

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

This was on my homepage, and according to it, I'm guilty of mispronouncing almond, cache (which I swear I've posted in here about before), picture, and quinoa (in my head), all with the mispronunciations given. (I wasn't familiar enough with the word turmeric to judge myself on how I pronounce it.)
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Lol. "there is a correct way to say every word in the English language"... the most generous interpretation I can make for this is to read "a" as "at least one" rather than the more likely "only one", and even then it seems somewhat debateable... it seems to me that there are very likely some words for which a prescriptivist might consider all possible pronunciations "skunked", to use Bryan Garner's term (adjusted to a slightly different context), and therefore the only way to be indisputably correct is to not pronounce them at all. (For example, certain Latinate plural forms such as "status", "antipodes", "matrices", "fomites", and "cicatrices"; also the singular "rationale".)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Uh...I have never heard almond pronounced with a silent l, not even on snobby cooking shows. I'm pretty certain they're wrong about that one.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Zaarin wrote:Uh...I have never heard almond pronounced with a silent l, not even on snobby cooking shows. I'm pretty certain they're wrong about that one.
You think this pronunciation doesn't exist, or that it should be considered non-standard? I pronounce it without an /l/. It's like "palm", "alms", "psalm", "calm", "balm". The OED says "The pronunciation (Brit.) /ˈɑːmənd/, (U.S.) /ˈɑmənd/ probably results from the same historical process as described at psalm n. Pronunciations with /l/ are probably all ultimately spelling pronunciations." You could call the linked source overly fussy or old-fashioned, but I don't think there's a very strong case to make that it is definitely "wrong" in its prescription for this word. (Some other words, on the other hand...)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Sumelic wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Uh...I have never heard almond pronounced with a silent l, not even on snobby cooking shows. I'm pretty certain they're wrong about that one.
You think this pronunciation doesn't exist, or that it should be considered non-standard? I pronounce it without an /l/. It's like "palm", "alms", "psalm", "calm", "balm". The OED says "The pronunciation (Brit.) /ˈɑːmənd/, (U.S.) /ˈɑmənd/ probably results from the same historical process as described at psalm n. Pronunciations with /l/ are probably all ultimately spelling pronunciations." You could call the linked source overly fussy or old-fashioned, but I don't think there's a very strong case to make that it is definitely "wrong" in its prescription for this word. (Some other words, on the other hand...)
...I have an /l/ in all of those words (well, I'd say palm is in free variation of /pɑɫm~pɑm/), though I've at least heard palm, calm, and balm without the /l/; I've never heard alms, psalm, or almond without the /l/. NB: I'm not saying that because I haven't encountered it it doesn't exist. I'm just saying that I personally was unaware that pronunciations of these words without the /l/, outside L-vocalizing dialects, existed (other than three I listed). I'm not sure I'd even understand what someone was trying to say if they said /ˈɑmənd/.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

This one's right snobby, innit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uoHZZRQ0hc&t=27s

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I don't pronounce the l in almond, either. I'd never heard it with the l pronounced until this Canadian guy in grad school said something about eating almond ice cream and I was like "what? Element ice cream?" :P

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ask

Many say this word like "axe," but in fact, the "S" sound should come before the "K."
I wonder if the /æks/ variant could be continued from OE āxian