zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:48 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Could anyone recommend a good Irish - English / English - Irish dictionary? Something which could be described as the Y Geiriadur Mawr of Irish would be grand. I did a search and there seem to be rather a lot of them around and I don't want to waste my hard earned pennies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:39 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

The standard reference work for many years was de Bhaldraithe's, accessible online for free here: http://www.teanglann.ie/en/eid/. It was published in 1959, though, so it's rather out-of-date in many respect.

Foras na Gaeilge just published a new English-Irish dictionary. It's also available for online consultation at no charge: http://www.focloir.ie/en/.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Thanks. I like to have printed ones, just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:33 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

Taisc mach Daró

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Bristel wrote:
I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:

I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.

Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.

Taisc mach Daró

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Bristel wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:

Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.

If that dialect is West Cork then tá an t-ádh ort.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:

If that dialect is West Cork then tá an t-ádh ort.

That's great! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:32 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Online, teanglann also has recordings for many words, but annoyingly not inflected forms.

I've also discovered fuaimeanna.ie, which has both recordings and two different transcriptions for them, in three dialects, which is easier than puzzling out what people are saying from the sound alone. The downside is that it's not a dictionary, it's a phonology guide, so it has only a relatively small number of words - enough to show off different sounds and processes. Still, it is searchable both by word and by phoneme. The other downside is that sometimes it's hard to connect the transcription to what is actually said...

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:40 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Salmoneus wrote:
Online, teanglann also has recordings for many words, but annoyingly not inflected forms.

I've also discovered fuaimeanna.ie, which has both recordings and two different transcriptions for them, in three dialects, which is easier than puzzling out what people are saying from the sound alone. The downside is that it's not a dictionary, it's a phonology guide, so it has only a relatively small number of words - enough to show off different sounds and processes. Still, it is searchable both by word and by phoneme. The other downside is that sometimes it's hard to connect the transcription to what is actually said...

Another thing that's kind of annoying about both sites is the word choice. Instead of choosing, say, the most common equivalent in a dialect, they simply take the standard form and make everyone pronounce it, which produces some absurd results (particularly for Ulster).