zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:48 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 306
Location: Cymru
Could anyone recommend a good Irish - English / English - Irish dictionary? Something which could be described as the Y Geiriadur Mawr of Irish would be grand. I did a search and there seem to be rather a lot of them around and I don't want to waste my hard earned pennies.

_________________
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:39 pm 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
The standard reference work for many years was de Bhaldraithe's, accessible online for free here: http://www.teanglann.ie/en/eid/. It was published in 1959, though, so it's rather out-of-date in many respect.

Foras na Gaeilge just published a new English-Irish dictionary. It's also available for online consultation at no charge: http://www.focloir.ie/en/.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 306
Location: Cymru
Thanks. I like to have printed ones, just in case.

_________________
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:33 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm
Posts: 1258
Location: Miracle, Inc. Headquarters
I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

_________________
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18 am 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
Bristel wrote:
I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm
Posts: 1258
Location: Miracle, Inc. Headquarters
linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:
I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.


Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.

_________________
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
Bristel wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:
I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.

Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.

If that dialect is West Cork then tá an t-ádh ort.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 306
Location: Cymru
linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:
I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.

I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.

Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.

If that dialect is West Cork then tá an t-ádh ort.


That's great! Thanks!

_________________
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:32 am 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:00 pm
Posts: 3197
Location: One of the dark places of the world
Online, teanglann also has recordings for many words, but annoyingly not inflected forms.

I've also discovered fuaimeanna.ie, which has both recordings and two different transcriptions for them, in three dialects, which is easier than puzzling out what people are saying from the sound alone. The downside is that it's not a dictionary, it's a phonology guide, so it has only a relatively small number of words - enough to show off different sounds and processes. Still, it is searchable both by word and by phoneme. The other downside is that sometimes it's hard to connect the transcription to what is actually said...

_________________
Blog: http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:40 pm 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
Salmoneus wrote:
Online, teanglann also has recordings for many words, but annoyingly not inflected forms.

I've also discovered fuaimeanna.ie, which has both recordings and two different transcriptions for them, in three dialects, which is easier than puzzling out what people are saying from the sound alone. The downside is that it's not a dictionary, it's a phonology guide, so it has only a relatively small number of words - enough to show off different sounds and processes. Still, it is searchable both by word and by phoneme. The other downside is that sometimes it's hard to connect the transcription to what is actually said...

Another thing that's kind of annoying about both sites is the word choice. Instead of choosing, say, the most common equivalent in a dialect, they simply take the standard form and make everyone pronounce it, which produces some absurd results (particularly for Ulster).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group