Native speakers giving misleading information

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Native speakers giving misleading information

Post by linguoboy »

Imralu wrote:
Astraios wrote:OHG: habes
OHG: hazzos
So ... where does the t come from?
OHG d(ū), if memory serves.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

linguoboy wrote:
Imralu wrote:
Astraios wrote:OHG: habes
OHG: hazzos
So ... where does the t come from?
OHG d(ū), if memory serves.
I vaguely remember that too, but I assumed it was long before OHG. English had -st too...
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Rants about the passive voice are the best for this, in my experience; you get people trumpeting that "a sentence has to have a subject and a verb", or the person who I heard say, in all apparent seriousness, that "the passive voice should be eschewed."

Not to mention the ones who go on about the evilness of the passive voice without being able to identify it...

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Neon Fox wrote:Rants about the passive voice are the best for this, in my experience; you get people trumpeting that "a sentence has to have a subject and a verb", or the person who I heard say, in all apparent seriousness, that "the passive voice should be eschewed."

Not to mention the ones who go on about the evilness of the passive voice without being able to identify it...
Language Log has been there already: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=19878

EDIT: not that you shouldn't have brought it up.
Last edited by Frislander on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Frislander wrote:
Neon Fox wrote:Rants about the passive voice are the best for this, in my experience; you get people trumpeting that "a sentence has to have a subject and a verb", or the person who I heard say, in all apparent seriousness, that "the passive voice should be eschewed."

Language Log has been there already: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=19878
...I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the criterion for including an example in this thread was whether LL had failed to mention it. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Neon Fox wrote:
Frislander wrote:

...I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the criterion for including an example in this thread was whether LL had failed to mention it. I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Oh not again! I hate it when I do that. Sorry if that's how you interpreted it.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Frislander wrote:
Neon Fox wrote:
Frislander wrote:

Oh not again! I hate it when I do that. Sorry if that's how you interpreted it.
Ah! The low bandwidth of text strikes again--also I'm still Before Coffee, which no doubt did not help. No problem.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Related: Strange, ad-hoc terminology people use when talking about the sounds of their language. I've heard English speakers use "hard" vs. "soft" to mean "voiced" vs. "voiceless" in either direction (i.e. both "hard" = "voiced" and "hard" = "voiceless"), especially when talking about voiceless/voiced pairs that are spelled the same, such as <th> for /θ/ or /ð/ or <s> for /s/ or /z/. I also occasionally hear "hard" and "soft" applied to English vowels, e.g. an SMBC comic from a few years back incidentally contrasting monophthongized [a] with "hard" [aɪ].
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I keep hearing a lot about this on ZBB, but I've never witnessed it myself. Who are these anti-passive people (besides the one mentioned in the language log post)?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Chengjiang wrote:Related: Strange, ad-hoc terminology people use when talking about the sounds of their language. I've heard English speakers use "hard" vs. "soft" to mean "voiced" vs. "voiceless" in either direction (i.e. both "hard" = "voiced" and "hard" = "voiceless"), especially when talking about voiceless/voiced pairs that are spelled the same, such as <th> for /θ/ or /ð/ or <s> for /s/ or /z/. I also occasionally hear "hard" and "soft" applied to English vowels, e.g. an SMBC comic from a few years back incidentally contrasting monophthongized [a] with "hard" [aɪ].
This reminds me. I read a BA thesis a little while ago, where the writer kept using the word stressed when he meant voiced. And I kept face palming. It's a little understandable because in Swedish these words are betonad and tonande, but maybe one should write about a subject one knows a little more about.
My most recent quiz:

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Qwynegold wrote:

I keep hearing a lot about this on ZBB, but I've never witnessed it myself. Who are these anti-passive people (besides the one mentioned in the language log post)?
Just about anyone who writes or talks about good style, IME. My most recent encounter was a podcast I like which has an occasional segment called "How to Write Good"; that's where the thing about "passive should be eschewed" came from.

Generally it's the same people who exhibit a pathological fear of the suffix -ly, rant at length about omitting needless words, and try to treat English verbs as if they were Latin.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Qwynegold wrote:

I was drilled about not using passive voice in high school advanced English, despite never being told what it was besides that it uses be-verbs, with no clarification made that there's also predicative be, progressive be, or any other form of be. In fact I was told multiple times to avoid just using be-verbs altogether.
Chengjiang wrote:Related: Strange, ad-hoc terminology people use when talking about the sounds of their language. I've heard English speakers use "hard" vs. "soft" to mean "voiced" vs. "voiceless" in either direction (i.e. both "hard" = "voiced" and "hard" = "voiceless"), especially when talking about voiceless/voiced pairs that are spelled the same, such as <th> for /θ/ or /ð/ or <s> for /s/ or /z/. I also occasionally hear "hard" and "soft" applied to English vowels, e.g. an SMBC comic from a few years back incidentally contrasting monophthongized [a] with "hard" [aɪ].
I'm of the opinion that it makes sense to call both voiced and voiceless sounds "hard" or "soft," it's just that one use is talking about sonority while the other (which is what I've more commonly heard) is picking up on the tone-depressing of voiced consonants. There's also the acoustic similarity of voicelessness/aspiration with whisper. One of the first "shocking" things I learned when getting into linguistics was that voiced consonants are considered "softer" and aspirated "harder," but I think the linguistic and common use of the terms are referring to different things.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Chengjiang wrote:I've heard English speakers use "hard" vs. "soft" to mean "voiced" vs. "voiceless" in either direction (i.e. both "hard" = "voiced" and "hard" = "voiceless"), especially when talking about voiceless/voiced pairs that are spelled the same, such as <th> for /θ/ or /ð/ or <s> for /s/ or /z/.
Interesting. I can't ever recall hearing "hard th" used for /ð/ from anyone.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Neon Fox and vokzhen: That's interesting. In my earlier university, we were drilled to use passive voice in thesises. :D

And regarding soft and hard consonants, in Finnish the letter B is referred to as "soft P".
My most recent quiz:

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

In Finland, voiced consonants are for softies. ;-)

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

The way I was taught how to read (English) was by differentiating things like "hard c" (/k/) and "soft c" (/s/), or "hard g" (/g/) and "soft c" (/dʒ/). Likewise, we learned about "short" vowels and "long" vowels to differentiate e.g. /ɪ/ and /aɪ/ for <i>. I don't recall ever making a distinction for <th>, though; I think a lot of speakers don't really realize that /θ/ and /ð/ actually are different sounds. They may be able to tell them apart, but wouldn't be able to actually explain the difference.

Growing up, I never expected that these would be necessarily be official universal linguistic terminology; just the terminology used in English to describe how English itself functions.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

hwhatting wrote:In Finland, voiced consonants are for softies. ;-)
lol :-D
My most recent quiz:

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Axiem wrote:
The way I was taught how to read (English) was by differentiating things like "hard c" (/k/) and "soft c" (/s/), or "hard g" (/g/) and "soft c" (/dʒ/). Likewise, we learned about "short" vowels and "long" vowels to differentiate e.g. /ɪ/ and /aɪ/ for <i>. I don't recall ever making a distinction for <th>, though; I think a lot of speakers don't really realize that /θ/ and /ð/ actually are different sounds. They may be able to tell them apart, but wouldn't be able to actually explain the difference.

Growing up, I never expected that these would be necessarily be official universal linguistic terminology; just the terminology used in English to describe how English itself functions.
"Hard" and "soft" for doublets like the values of C and G and "long" and "short" for the vowels are pretty normal and part of the naming tradition for English spelling. I'm talking about usages outside of that.

I do think a lot of English speakers aren't aware that there are two distinct sounds indicated by <th>. While they are contrastive in most environments, the distinction has a very low functional yield.

I sort of wonder: For Italians who do differentiate /s/ and /z/, is there much of a sense of them being separate sounds, or is the situation more like English <th> sounds? (I know that while they contrast intervocalically in the standard dialect, many speakers have fully merged them.) Or, for that matter, /ts/ and /dz/, another voiced:voiceless pair that's spelled the same.

Sexendèƚo
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sexendèƚo »

Chengjiang wrote:I sort of wonder: For Italians who do differentiate /s/ and /z/, is there much of a sense of them being separate sounds, or is the situation more like English <th> sounds? (I know that while they contrast intervocalically in the standard dialect, many speakers have fully merged them.) Or, for that matter, /ts/ and /dz/, another voiced:voiceless pair that's spelled the same.
I'm not sure if they contrast intervocalically in the standard dialect? Intervocalically, /s/ = [z], /sː/ = [sː]. My Italian is increasingly Perugino-influenced, but for me [z] is just the singleton realization between vowels, with the contrast as much from the length on the vowel and consonant as the voicing. For me < casa > [kaːza], < cassa > [kasːa]

I think < z > is much like english < th >. There are definitely two separate pronunciations, but the contrast isn't really noted. I think razza /rattsa/,/raddza/ is the only minimal pair? I don't think we were ever taught a rule about pronunciation of /dz/ vs /ts/, or told they were seperate sounds though.
We were never taught about < o > vs < ò >, or < e > vs < è > either. I picked up the distinction from hearing and practice I guess. In Perugino è [ɛ] and ò [ɔ] are much more common than in Standard Italian, so maybe that's reinforced my contrast between the two.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Sexendèƚo wrote:
Chengjiang wrote:I sort of wonder: For Italians who do differentiate /s/ and /z/, is there much of a sense of them being separate sounds, or is the situation more like English <th> sounds? (I know that while they contrast intervocalically in the standard dialect, many speakers have fully merged them.) Or, for that matter, /ts/ and /dz/, another voiced:voiceless pair that's spelled the same.
I'm not sure if they contrast intervocalically in the standard dialect? Intervocalically, /s/ = [z], /sː/ = [sː]. My Italian is increasingly Perugino-influenced, but for me [z] is just the singleton realization between vowels, with the contrast as much from the length on the vowel and consonant as the voicing. For me < casa > [kaːza], < cassa > [kasːa]
I remembered reading that while it's being replaced by neutralization, the traditional standard pronunciation did have words with intervocalic [s] and words with intervocalic [z]. Maybe I read something out of date?
I think < z > is much like english < th >. There are definitely two separate pronunciations, but the contrast isn't really noted. I think razza /rattsa/,/raddza/ is the only minimal pair? I don't think we were ever taught a rule about pronunciation of /dz/ vs /ts/, or told they were seperate sounds though.
We were never taught about < o > vs < ò >, or < e > vs < è > either. I picked up the distinction from hearing and practice I guess. In Perugino è [ɛ] and ò [ɔ] are much more common than in Standard Italian, so maybe that's reinforced my contrast between the two.
Interesting.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

I've noticed that a lot of younger Minnesotans having "accent denial", that is, thinking they speak General American, even when their accent is pretty clear. I suspect it is because a lot of people think a "Minnesota Accent" is their grandparents' immigrant-influenced affectations.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

TaylorS wrote:I've noticed that a lot of younger Minnesotans having "accent denial", that is, thinking they speak General American, even when their accent is pretty clear. I suspect it is because a lot of people think a "Minnesota Accent" is their grandparents' immigrant-influenced affectations.
Interesting. Recently I moved from California to Minnesota, and I actually don't notice many accent differences between me and Minnesotans. The only thing that stood out to me is ash-tensing before /g/, and most of the people I've met who do that are aware that it's not "General American" and sometimes even a bit self-conscious about it if it's mentioned.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Chengjiang wrote: I do think a lot of English speakers aren't aware that there are two distinct sounds indicated by <th>. While they are contrastive in most environments, the distinction has a very low functional yield.
I commented on a YouTube video the other day how I thought it was weird that the guy pronounced 'thus' as [θʌs]. I didn't write that, though. I wrote: It's odd that he pronounces 'thus' with the TH as in THINK, rather than the TH as in THIS. A guy commented:

"The first syllable of 'this' and 'think' is pronounced identically."

I ignored the 'syllable' thing and went on to explain what the difference was, and how he could feel the difference in voicing by putting two fingers on his Adam's apple to feel the presence and absence of vibrations from the vocal cords. He replied:

"Eh, I guess it depends where you're from. I voice the first syllable in 'think' as well as 'this'. Not quite as much but not enough for it to be a big difference."

So, I think you're right; people's perceptions of which sounds are distinct in their language very much depends on the spelling. This is anecdotal, but I've run into this many times before.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

TaylorS wrote:I've noticed that a lot of younger Minnesotans having "accent denial", that is, thinking they speak General American, even when their accent is pretty clear. I suspect it is because a lot of people think a "Minnesota Accent" is their grandparents' immigrant-influenced affectations.
Michiganders do this too, and Wisconsinites as well if I remember well from when I lived there. We're all in denial here about our accents. Someone fed us this Midwest accent=standard American, no accent, myth. People hear my accent when I go to other places and I sure as hell heard the Minnesota accent when I went there many many times. In fact, I often get self conscious myself of my accent and I live a mere 6 hours away from home. I have to be careful, for example, because I'm prone to saying /rUt/ instead of /rut/ when taking about grammar in my classes (when I have to use English that is).

I have noticed that Central Illinoisians don't have much in terms of variation in their accents. Here it's rather boring compared to Northeastern Wisconsin, Minnesota, or even back home in Michigan.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Viktor77 wrote:
Michiganders do this too, and Wisconsinites as well if I remember well from when I lived there. We're all in denial here about our accents. Someone fed us this Midwest accent=standard American, no accent, myth. People hear my accent when I go to other places and I sure as hell heard the Minnesota accent when I went there many many times. In fact, I often get self conscious myself of my accent and I live a mere 6 hours away from home. I have to be careful, for example, because I'm prone to saying /rUt/ instead of /rut/ when taking about grammar in my classes (when I have to use English that is).

I have noticed that Central Illinoisians don't have much in terms of variation in their accents. Here it's rather boring compared to Northeastern Wisconsin, Minnesota, or even back home in Michigan.
I'm painfully aware of my accent, largely because it is fucking weird by even Wisconsin standards, and to a good extent was always aware of my accent - because I remember consciously changing it as I grew up from the more conservative speech of my parents to the speech I heard of the other kids in school around me while at the same time being very aware of certain innovative pronunciations I had always remembered having which I could never get rid of (e.g. mister [ˈmɘɕtɕʁ̩(ː)]. sister [ˈsɘɕtɕʁ̩(ː)]). And I remember people pointing out that I had a really funny accent when I moved away from Wisconsin to Maryland, and even other people from other parts of Wisconsin pointing out my use of [ja(ː)] and like.

That said, though, I still perceive how people - not necessarily myself, but other people - speak here as how people normally speak. How people speak on TV feels like a register rather than dialect difference, especially since I can speak markedly closer to that than how I normally speak if I try, normally in formal speech. Of course that is not true, since formal speech here is still not GA by any means; the vowel systems are different, there is still l-vocalization and a bunched /r/, palatalization of alveolar and postalveolar consonants, and so on - but I am not normally aware of this unless I pay conscious attention to this.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.