It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

thetha wrote:
finlay wrote:
what about Davy Jones' locker?

I watched too many cartoons as a child so I thought that meant like, "hell" or something in sailor talk. Does it really just mean the sea?

Well it means dying at sea and being thrown overboard, so yeah, maybe both.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:36 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

'theory' may well be a similar word to 'metaphor' in that it has a somewhat different meaning as a technical term as compared to being an everyday word.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:01 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

My mum says funny things like "Careful! I don't want you falling in the drink!" ... with "the drink" referring to whatever river or ocean I was playing perilously close to. I have a feeling this is not just a mummism but haven't googled it as I should actually be sleeping. In fact, I think she told me where her saying that comes from at one point when I was a kid ... her dad ... Ireland ... bus drivers ... I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:40 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Imralu wrote:
My mum says funny things like "Careful! I don't want you falling in the drink!" ... with "the drink" referring to whatever river or ocean I was playing perilously close to. I have a feeling this is not just a mummism but haven't googled it as I should actually be sleeping. In fact, I think she told me where her saying that comes from at one point when I was a kid ... her dad ... Ireland ... bus drivers ... I don't know.

I've heard the term as a kid, as well, though not sure it was from my parents. Only pop culture reference I can think of is from the bridge of "Nobody Else But You" from A Goofy Movie, though given it's used by Goofy it might be intended to sound folksy or dated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I think I've seen something like "drink" being used to refer to a whirlpool in some kind of cartoon, possibly some Disney comic (Uncle Scrooge? Donald Duck?).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:14 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Imralu wrote:

It's very common, yes. It's certainly used (or was used?) in the RAF, but I don't know whether it was their own invention. There is, for instance, apparently a book called "Shot down and in the drink" about the heroic exploits of RAF crew.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 am 
Smeric
Smeric

The Atlantic Ocean is often called "the pond" as in the expression "across the pond", though I am not so sure I would call this poetic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:49 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Salmoneus wrote:
Imralu wrote:

It's very common, yes. It's certainly used (or was used?) in the RAF, but I don't know whether it was their own invention. There is, for instance, apparently a book called "Shot down and in the drink" about the heroic exploits of RAF crew.

Another slang term for the sea is The Briny, due to salt content.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:01 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

The most commonly used poetic word for sky in Chinese is "穹蒼" which means "dôme bleu" literally.