New Grammatical Person

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Škjakto
Niš
Niš

New Grammatical Person

Post by Škjakto »

I propose a new 4th person perspective, based on impersonal pronouns such as "One should work."
toki! mi nimi li Sajiman Petu. mi olin toki en sitelen en Toki Pona.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: New Grammatical Person

Post by Vijay »

That's just third person.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

It's called the "impersonal". Plenty of languages have it, though the two I'm most familiar with are Irish and Welsh.

You wouldn't use it to translate your example. (Common equivalents would translate back literally as "It is right (for a person) to work" or "(There is) necessity (for a person) to work".) But "One works" would be:

Irish: Oibrítear. (Cf. Oibríonn sí "She works".)
Welsh: Gweithir. (Cf. Mae e'n gweithio "He works/is working".)

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

I propose a new grammatical person, used exclusively to refer to me.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

And the term "4th person" is already used as shorthand for obviative and empathetic pronouns.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The 5th person is the guy who really didn't want to play bridge anyway and will just sit in a chair and read.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

zompist wrote:The 5th person is the guy who really didn't want to play bridge anyway and will just sit in a chair and read.
Also known as the "chaperonal".

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

zompist wrote:The 5th person is the guy who really didn't want to play bridge anyway and will just sit in a chair and read.
Also known as all of Jane Austen's heroines...

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote:
Heheh, I've never read Austen, but my dad has, and there are only two things I remember him ever saying about her stories: "none of these people ever seem to actually do anything" and "they never actually say what they're eating! They just say 'and then we had supper'."

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Vijay wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
Heheh, I've never read Austen, but my dad has, and there are only two things I remember him ever saying about her stories: "none of these people ever seem to actually do anything" and "they never actually say what they're eating! They just say 'and then we had supper'."
There are a few specific food descriptions in Mansfield Park. :p If you enjoy mocking people's folly, you'll probably enjoy Jane Austen. ;) I highly enjoy her incisive wit and organic plots, at any rate. I also may or may not have a crush on Anne Elliot. >_>

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

I never quite understood why certain authors (George R.R. Martin and Brian Jacques come to mind) feel the need to describe in minute detail what all the characters eat during each meal. My eyes tend to just skip over all that, especially since (owing to my own particular cultural culinary experience) I generally don't know what half the foods they mention even are.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Xephyr wrote:I never quite understood why certain authors (George R.R. Martin and Brian Jacques come to mind) feel the need to describe in minute detail what all the characters eat during each meal. My eyes tend to just skip over all that, especially since (owing to my own particular cultural culinary experience) I generally don't know what half the foods they mention even are.
I think it depends. Food can be very evocative and sensuous, and it can be a grounding element even in fantasy, even if the food itself is fantasy (I think Morrowind--albeit in a very different medium--did this very well: I may not know what they taste like, but ash yams, saltrice, and scrib jelly all added to Morrowind's lived-in feel that neither of Bethesda's newer games managed to capture). The Christmas feast in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight also comes to mind. But it obviously should employed in moderation; spending too much time describing anything gets old.

Excessive description of anything isn't really something Jane Austen can be accused of. Off-hand, she says Elizabeth has nice eyes (but we're not told what color), chiefly because Mr. Darcy admires them; we're told Anne is fair-skinned (or, when the narrator is feeling less generous, pale); we're told that Emma Woodhouse, Marianne Dashwood, and Jane Bennett are the picture of beauty--but not why; we're told that Fanny has light brown eyes (in contrast to Mary Crawford's dark eyes); and that's all the personal description I can recall. I think she describes Jane Fairfax more minutely than any other character: thin, pretty, elegant features, but lacking in complexion. Oh, and I think she says that Harriet Smith is plump and has fair hair.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

The Redwall series is an exemplar of good food descriptions--as a child (the intended reader demographic, I would say) I had no idea what a cordial was, but it didn't matter because the sensuous character of the description that Zaarin notes was very present. The fine details of what foods were present (details such as what a cordial actually is) were much less relevant than the image of practically unreasonable levels of bounty produced.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

redwall is the only fantasy series i've ever bothered to read aside from the one where witch harvard sends a frenchwoman to western maryland to find Jesus the Magic Dragon, so

(Jesus the Magic Dragon has numerous sidekicks, such as: the fellow who spent half the series possessed by the Dagger of Satan, the bard with an unusually high number of distinct units of facial hair, Ishi, and a furry)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

One of my favorite books ever is technically a cookbook but mostly reads like a story and is not exclusively about food (although it mostly is).

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Xephyr wrote:I never quite understood why certain authors (George R.R. Martin and Brian Jacques come to mind) feel the need to describe in minute detail what all the characters eat during each meal. My eyes tend to just skip over all that, especially since (owing to my own particular cultural culinary experience) I generally don't know what half the foods they mention even are.
It's called a fetish.

If I had to write a novel, I bet, half of it would be a grammar reference of the language used by the characters and a half of the rest would be in-detail description of the variant of MMP used in the conworld.
Last edited by Pole, the on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Pole, the wrote:
It's called a fetish.

If I had to write a novel, I bet, half of it would be a grammar reference of the language used by the characters and a half of the rest would be in-detail description of the variant of MMR used in the conworld.
I am presuming this is not measles/mumps/rubella

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

ObsequiousNewt wrote: I am presuming this is not measles/mumps/rubella
Oops, I meant MMP.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Speaking of George R. R. Martin, in the Swedish translation they never use the word "eat". Instead they only "break the fast". Is this in the original as well? I'm constantly wondering what fast. Are they supposed to fast all year around?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Qwynegold wrote:Speaking of George R. R. Martin, in the Swedish translation they never use the word "eat". Instead they only "break the fast". Is this in the original as well? I'm constantly wondering what fast. Are they supposed to fast all year around?
People fast while they're asleep. In older days the fast would probably have been longer, from early dinner to a few hours after getting up (got to go milk those cows first). So the expression arose, "to break fast", meaning to have the first meal of the day. This became "to breakfast", and then a noun developed, "breakfast" to describe this process.
So they should only break fast when we would say they breakfast, or that they have breakfast. It's just putting a space between the words to sound old-fashioned. [Or perhaps just to avoid sounding modern - it's hard to say "let's do breakfast" and not sound contemporary, so instead they say "will you break fast with me?"
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ah, I see. In Swedish the word for breakfast has nothing to do with fast. I'm thinking that the translation is unidiomatic. :/
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018