Help me decode this Engrish

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Help me decode this Engrish

Post by Qwynegold »

Thank you for communication.

A thing left behind does not go out of the room from a visitor of June 5.

In addition, I dispose for one month during the thing left behind safekeeping period of the hotel if there is not communication.

When, I'm sorry, there is not it without helping it.

I wait that I can meet next you for pleasure.
I wrote to a hotel and asked if I they had found some things I might've left behind there. I'm guessing that the answer is no.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Help me decode this Engrish

Post by Viktor77 »

Honestly, I tried, but it seems conflicting. The first sentence sounds like he leaves things left behind in the rooms, which doesn't make sense. Then he seems to say he keeps things for which he receives no communication for safekeeping for 1 month.

Then I giggled at the last line.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I left an expensive coat at a nice hotel in Chicago and when I called they found it, but then when I called back it had "mysteriously" disappeared.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I'd interpret the first bit as saying nothing was found in any room occupied on June 5 (presumably when you were there); also, that they dispose of lost items after a month anyway.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ah I see. Yeah, it definitely must say that they dispose lost items after one month. Okay, now how to reply...? I originally wrote in both English and Japanese. I wonder if I should use only one language this time, and which one. If I write in Japanese, they are more likely to understand, but could it be rude to respond in Japanese when he wrote in English?
My most recent quiz:

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I'm quite sure they're saying that they kept your stuff for a month and then threw it out because you didn't claim it within that month. They apologize, but there's nothing they can do about it now.

I don't think it's rude to respond in Japanese if you want to; after all, the customer is always right in Japan. But I suspect you aren't going to get your stuff back. I could be wrong though, so it doesn't hurt to try.

Viktor, I strongly doubt that the hotel staff would steal something from the room. On the whole, Japanese people are trustworthy to a fault (which is why they are often easy marks when they travel overseas).

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

clawgrip wrote:Viktor, I strongly doubt that the hotel staff would steal something from the room. On the whole, Japanese people are trustworthy to a fault (which is why they are often easy marks when they travel overseas).
No, but I'm not unconvinced they didn't in my case in America. The maid had found my coat, and then when I called back the next day no one could find it anywhere. And when I followed up with different housekeeping staff members the same result occurred, the coat, which was supposed to be taken down for safekeeping, was nowhere to be found. It sounds terrible to suggest a maid may have been opportunistic, but I wasn't the first one to suggest it in my party.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

In your case, you're right to suspect them. Any business that misplaces a jacket after its owner has confirmed ownership by phone is either unbelievably incompetent or has thieving staff members.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

clawgrip wrote:In your case, you're right to suspect them. Any business that misplaces a jacket after its owner has confirmed ownership by phone is either unbelievably incompetent or has thieving staff members.
Yea, that's what we thought. And this was a 5 star hotel or something, a really expensive hotel at any rate.

Anyway, this discussion isn't really appropriate for L&L. I'm glad you were able to decode the message, Qwynegold. I hope you get whatever you left behind back.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ah, I have actually given up hope. I'm just thinking I should respond with something so they'll now I've read their reply. I'm always at loss on how to reply to e-mails, and have to ask people for advice. >_<
My most recent quiz:

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I don't think you have to. It doesn't seem too likely to me that they'd even care, unless there's something important about Japanese culture I'm missing or something.