Language/grammar resources for Romungro/Carpathian Romani

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
scorpryan
Sanci
Sanci

Language/grammar resources for Romungro/Carpathian Romani

Post by scorpryan »

Does anyone know where to find resources on the grammar of the Romungro dialect of Romani? I know it is not the most documented dialect or language in the world, and it is somewhat endangered, but it's not *that* obscure; I found evidence of a book on the subject of Carpathian Romani grammar, but it is not for sell anywhere on the Internet, nor listed at any library in my country as far as I can see... I am trying to learn more about the differences between this dialect and the "standard" Vlax varieties, and although I've found some great dictionaries and audio documentation projects that sample phrases and words, I don't know of any resource available for the study of its grammar. In fact, resources for the grammar of any Romani dialect beyond Vlax (Lovari/Kalderash) seem almost impossible to locate.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Language/grammar resources for Romungro/Carpathian Roman

Post by Vijay »

You're interested in Romani? :o That was basically what my master's thesis was all about! I worked with Ian Hancock for like seven years or something (too lazy to count right now :P).

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know of any, sorry. I might be able to help you more generally with the differences between the varieties of Romani, though; I guess I'll just have to dig through whatever I have and see what I can find!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

scorpryan wrote:Does anyone know where to find resources on the grammar of the Romungro dialect of Romani? I know it is not the most documented dialect or language in the world, and it is somewhat endangered, but it's not *that* obscure; I found evidence of a book on the subject of Carpathian Romani grammar, but it is not for sell anywhere on the Internet, nor listed at any library in my country as far as I can see... I am trying to learn more about the differences between this dialect and the "standard" Vlax varieties, and although I've found some great dictionaries and audio documentation projects that sample phrases and words, I don't know of any resource available for the study of its grammar. In fact, resources for the grammar of any Romani dialect beyond Vlax (Lovari/Kalderash) seem almost impossible to locate.
Some do exist. I've seen a decent grammar of Burgenland Romani, for instance.

What languages have you been searching in? The aforementioned text is in German, for instance. I would expect resources for Romungro to be in Slavic languages or Hungarian, maybe German.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

There's a lot of stuff for varieties of Romani in general in German! (The history of Romani Studies goes back to Austria-Hungary, after all...). Right off the top of my head, I can think of books in German for both North Russian Romani and Sepecides Romani (from Turkey), plus an inter-dialect dictionary. I don't think I can think of books in English that cover either of those varieties of Romani (nor can I think of an inter-dialect dictionary with translations in English that's as comprehensive as the one I'm thinking of).