Numbers from 1 to 10 updated

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Numbers from 1 to 10 updated

Post by hwhatting »

zompist wrote: I think I've incorporated everyone's suggestions
Well, you still have Jeti "7" for Kazakh, which ought to be z with haczek. (I don't have that sign on my mobile. )

Edit: typo corrected.
Last edited by hwhatting on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Some suggested changes/additions to the Aramaic section:

"Classical Aramaic" isn't really a thing, per se. Ancient Aramaic dialects maybe were mutually comprehensible, I dunno, but scholars tend to mostly refer to the various Aramaic dialects more specifically. The transliterations for BA, JBA, JPA are my own, since my sources tended not to give transliteration-- I used the modern system used for transliterating Biblical Hebrew, with a couple minor changes to accomodate Aramaic (e.g. aleph as a word-final mater), which I hope is adequate. I don't think there is any "standard" transliteration system used exclusively for ancient Aramaic, so this will have to work I guess.

Biblical Aramaic:
(masculine) ḥaḏ, tərên, təlāṯā, ʾarbəʿâ, ḥamšâ, šittâ, šiḇʿâ, təmānyâ, tišʿâ, ʿaśrâ
(feminine) ḥăḏâ, tartên, təlāṯ, arbaʿ, ḥămēš, šēṯ, šbaʿ, təmānê, təšaʽ, ʿăśar

[sources: A Grammar of Biblical Aramaic by Franz Rosenthal and A Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic by Alger F. Johns]

Jewish Babylonian Aramaic:
(masculine) ḥad, tərên / tərê / tənê, təlātâ, ʾarbəʿâ / ʾarbəʿê, ḥamšâ, šittâ, šabʿâ, təmānyâ, tišʿâ, ʿaśrâ
(feminine) ḥădâ, tartên / tartê / taltê, təlāt, ʾarbaʿ, ḥămēš, šît / šêt, šab / šeb / šəbaʿ, təmānê / tamnê, təšaʿ, ʿăśar

[source: A Grammar of the Aramaic Idiom contained in the Babylonian Talmud by C. Levias]

Jewish Palestinian Aramaic:
(masculine) ḥad, tərê / tərên, təlātā, ʾarbəʿâ, ḥamšâ, šittâ, šibʿâ, təmānyâ, tišʿâ, ʿasrâ
(feminine) ḥădā, tartên, təlāt, ʾarbaʿ, ḥămêš, šêt, šəbaʿ, tamnê / təmānê / təmāna, təšaʿ / tîšaʿ / têšaʿ, ʿăsar

[source: Grammar of Palestinian Jewish Aramaic by William B. Stevenson]

Samaritan Aramaic
(masculine) ʽǣd, tārẹm, tāḷāta, ærbǣ́, ʽæmša / ēmišša, šitta / æšta, šābǣ́, tāmānæ, tiššǣ́, ʽāsar
(feminine) ʽǣda, tærtẹn, tāḷat, ærbæ, ʽæmmeš / ʽǣmẹš, šat / šet, šābæ, tāmāni, tiššæ, ʽāsar

[source: Grammatik des Samaritanischen Aramäisch by Rudolf Macuch]

Classical Syriac
(masculine) ḥaḏ, trēn, tlāṯā, ʼarbʽā, ḥamšā, (ʼe)štā, šavʽā, tmānyā, tešʽā, ʽesrā
(feminine) ḥḏā, tartēn, tlāṯ, ʼarbaʽ, ḥameš, šeṯ, švaʽ, tmānē, tšaʽ, ʽsar

[source: Classical Syriac: A Basic Grammar with a Chrestomathy by Takamitsu Muraoka]

Classical Mandaic Edited: found a better source
(masculine) had / had, trin / ʽtrin, tlata, arba, hamša, šita, šuba, tmania, tša / ʽtša, asra
(feminine) had, tartin, tlat, arbia, hamiš, šit, šaba, tmania, tša, asar
(Macuch writes them thusly, but I think word-initial <ʽ> in Classical Mandaic represents an initial vowel "e". So you might want to go with etrin and etša instead.)

[source Handbook of Classical and Modern Mandaic by Rudolf Macuch]

The modern Aramaic languages are an even more confusing welter of dialects, religiolects, names, classifications, and transcription schemes. "Modern Aramaic", like "Classical Aramaic", isn't a thing. I also do not quite know what "Assyrian Neo-Aramaic" and "Chaldaean Neo-Aramaic" are supposed to refer to (if anything)-- I never see those terms used by linguists. I'd recommend you not use those terms.

I recommend that you instead go with the modern classification of Neo-Aramaic which recognizes four groupings: Western Neo-Aramaic, Central Neo-Aramaic, Northeastern Neo-Aramaic ("NENA"), and Neo-Mandaic.

Here are the dialects I could get information on:

NENA (Christian Urmi dialect). You have this listed as "Syriac" (vis-a-vis "Classical Syriac"). It used to be referred to as "Modern Syriac" because 1) it was wrongly believed to be descended from Classical Syriac and 2) its speakers were Christians, but since people don't call it that anymore, and since 99 times out of 100 "Syriac" refers to the written language of the Peshitta and not to modern Christian Urmi NENA, I would recommend against calling it "Syriac".
(masculine) ḥā / ḥḏā, trān, tlāṯā, arbʿā, ḥamšā, ištā, šaḇʿā, tmānyā, ʿičā, ʿisrā
(feminine) ḥḏā, tirte, tilaṯ, arbiʿ, ḥamiš, išt, išbiʿ, tmāne, ʿiče, ʿisir

[sources: Grammatik der Neusyrischen Sprache by Theodor Nöldeke and Grammar of the Modern Syriac Language by D.T. Stoddard]

NENA (Jewish Urmi dialect):
xa, tre, +taha, arba, xamša, əšta, ušwa, tmanya, +əčča, əsra
(the superscript plus sign indicates suprasegmental velarization of the word)

[source: The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Urmi by Geoffrey Khan]

NENA (Alqosh dialect)
(masculine) xāʾ, trēʾ, ṭlāθa, ʾarba, xamša, ʾešta, šoʾa, tmanya, tešʾa, ʾesṛa
(feminine) ġðāʾ, tettḗʾ, ṭellaθ, ʾarbeʾ, xammeš, ʾeššet, ʾešwaʾ, tmāneʾ, teššaʾ, ʾessar

[source: The Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Alqosh by Eleanor Coghill]

NENA (Jewish Amədya dialect)
xa, tre, ṭḷaha, ʾarba, xamša, ʾəšta, šoʾa, tmanya, ʾəč̣ʾa, ʾəṣṛa

[source: The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Amədya by Jared Greenblatt]

NENA (Barwar dialect)
(masculine) xa, tre, ṭḷāθa / ṭḷa, ʾárba / ʾárpa, xámša, ʾə́šta, šáwwa, tmánya, ʾəč̣č̣a, ʾə́ṣra
(feminine) ða, tə́rte / tə́tte, ṭə́ḷḷəθ, ʾárbe, xámməš, ʾə́ššət, ʾə́šwa, tmáne, ʾəčča, ʾə́ssər

[source: The Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Barwar by Geoffrey Khan]

NENA (Bohtan dialect)
xa, tra, ṭlota, arba, xamša, əšta, šawa, tmanya, əčča, əṣra

[source: The Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Bohtan by Samuel Ethan Fox]

NENA (Jewish Challa dialect)
xa, tre, ṭḷāha, ʾarba, xamša, ʾəšta, šöʾa, tmanya, ʾəčʾa, ʾəṣṛa

[source: The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Challa by Steven E. Fassberg]

NENA (Jewish Sanandaj dialect)
xa, tre, təlḥa, ʾarba, xamša, ʾəšta, šoa, tmanya, ʾəčʿa, ʾəsra

[source: The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Sanandaj by Geoffrey Khan]

Western Neo-Aramaic (Ma'lula dialect) (you have this listed as "Modern Aramaic")
(masculine) ăḥaḏ, iṯr / itrⁱ, ṯlōṯā, árpaʿ, ḥámšā, šḗt͔t͔ā, šůbʿā, ṯmṓnyā, téšʿā, ʿásrā
(feminine) ĕḥḏā, ṯart͔ / ṯart͔ⁱ, ĕṯlaṯ, [4 not given], ḥámmeš, šeṯ, ĕšbaʿ, ĕṯmōn, ĕtšaʿ, ĕʿasar

[source: Le Dialecte de Maʿlula. Grammaire, Vocabulaire et Textes. by M. Parisot]

Neo-Mandaic (Khorramshahr dialect) (Häberl says the Persian forms are usually used in spoken Mandaic)
(modern) yek, do, so, čahār, panj, šeš, haft, hašt, noh, dah
(traditional) ehdā, tren, klāṯā, arbā, hamšā, šettā, šuḇḇā, təmānā, eččā, asrā

[source: The Neo-Mandaic Dialect of Khorramshahr by Charles Häberl]

Neo-Mandaic (Ahvaz dialect)
ehda / hedā, trēn / etrē, tlāθa / klāθa, ārba, hamša, šitta, šoββa, tmānya, ečča, asra

[source Handbook of Classical and Modern Mandaic by Rudolf Macuch]

I couldn't find anything for the Central dialects.
zompist wrote:I think I've incorporated everyone's suggestions above.
All's good except you forgot the last vowel in Mandan mą́xaną, and the Caddo column formatting is messed up.
Last edited by Xephyr on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Coptic dialects (I couldn't find anything on Fayyumic :():

Code: Select all

1     2      3       4      5     6     7       8      9      10
Akhmimic:  we    sno    khamᵊt  ftau   ?     se    sahᵊf   ?      ?      met
Bohairic:  wai   snau   šomᵊt   ftōw   tiw   sow   šašᵊf   šmēn   psit   mᵊnt
Sahidic:   wa    snau   šomᵊnt  ftow   tiw   sow   šašᵊf   šmoun  psis   mᵊnt
(I hope I've put the schwas in the correct places.)

That can probably replace the "Coptic" you currently have (which is probably Sahidic, because 99% of everything on Coptic is on Sahidic), which appears to be slightly different.

sources:
Coptic Grammar - Sahidic Dialect by Bentley Layton
Outline of Bohairic Coptic Morphology by Lance Eccles
The Akhmîmic Dialect of Coptic, with a brief Glossary by Herbert Pierrepont Houghton
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

"Yi (Lolo)" should probably be "Nuosu (Yi)" -- the various languages categorized under 'Yi' are apparently not mutually intelligible, though most sources are about Nuosu.

Numerals for Naxi, Laze, and Yongning Na: (source)

Naxi:
1. ɖɯ̄
2. ɲī
3. sɿ̀
4. lū
5. wɑ̄
6. ʈʂʰwɑ́
7. ʂɚ̄
8. hó
9. ŋgv̩̄
10. tsʰè

Laze:
1. ɖɯ̄
2. ɲī
3. sú
4. ʐv̩̄
5. ŋwɤ̄
6. qʰɔ̀
7. ʂʅ̄
8. ɕì
9. gv̩̄
10. tsʰí

Yongning Na:
1. ɖɯ̌
2. ŋǐ
3. sō
4. ʐv̩̄
5. ŋwɤ̄
6. qʰv̩̌
7. ʂʅ̄
8. hũ̌
9. gv̩̄
10. tsʰē
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Another point is that the numbers labelled as common, std written under Breton are actually the modern Cornish numbers which don't even appear.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Yng wrote:
dyolf wrote:
Richard W wrote:
dyolf wrote:Since that paper was published (in 1924) scholarly opinion has moved far away from the Goidelic survival hypothesis.
What do you mean by 'Goidelic survival hypothesis'? It sounds like a theory that some areas had remained Q-Celtic, rather than being Q-Celtic because of an invasion from Ireland. I'm not disputing that these 'Cardiganshire' numerals are of Irish origin - it's the date that's of greater interest.
All I've gathered from a Celtic Studies professor on Facebook is that the modern belief is that any use of these numerals was done by Irish labourers in the area around the 17C, not by Welsh speakers themselves, but may have been written down by Welsh speakers (hence the spellings). No Welsh-speakers from Cardiganshire use them, nor have ever heard of them, unless they're familiar with Irish, nor have these numbers impacted the Welsh of the area, where the standard un, dau/dwy, tri/tair, pedwar/pedair, pump, chwech, saith, wyth, naw, deg are used. So these numbers are not a "Cardiganshire dialect" but just Irish people using Irish numbers in Wales.
would modern-day welsh speakers be familiar with them though? how many modern-day english speakers in cumbria are familiar with the brythonic numerals?
I would estimate: all of them, assuming by 'brythonic numeral' you mean cumbrian counting numbers. [how many are aware of the original proto-brythonic, or indeed of modern welsh numbers? virtually none, but that wouldn't seem relevant]. The yan-tan-tethera may not be used on a daily basis anymore, but remains an iconic feature of the region.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Vijay wrote:
Richard W wrote:I can't find any sign of the English sheep-counting numbers of Brythonic origins in the file.
But are these any more notable than numbers in any non-standard dialect of English/Anglic variety/whatever indigenous to Britain? So far, all there is there is English and Scots (and that too apparently only one variety of Scots); there's no Anglo-Cornish numbers or Geordie numbers or whatever.
They arguably pre-date English being Celtic-origin numbers used by English speakers and had a specific uses limited to one or two social settings, being used some 700 years after the collapse of the Celtic languages in those areas.

So yeah, they're notable.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Gulliver wrote:
Vijay wrote:
Richard W wrote:I can't find any sign of the English sheep-counting numbers of Brythonic origins in the file.
But are these any more notable than numbers in any non-standard dialect of English/Anglic variety/whatever indigenous to Britain? So far, all there is there is English and Scots (and that too apparently only one variety of Scots); there's no Anglo-Cornish numbers or Geordie numbers or whatever.
They arguably pre-date English being Celtic-origin numbers used by English speakers and had a specific uses limited to one or two social settings, being used some 700 years after the collapse of the Celtic languages in those areas.

So yeah, they're notable.
They're notable, but they're not a part of the Cardiganshire dialect of Welsh or English.

This thread made me want to do something with my Quebric numbers, so here they are not that anyone cares.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Tropylium wrote:4 should be Erzya /nʲilʲe/, Moksha /nʲilʲæ/
I should probably add that in the transcription used for the other Mordvin (Erzya + Moksha) forms <ä> = /æ/. Thus, the Moksha list should probably have <nʲilʲä> instead of <nʲilʲæ> or alternatively replace <ä> with <æ> for both "1" and "5".

Since the list of Uralic languages contains Proto-Finno-Ugric reconstructions, it might also be worth adding Proto-Samoyedic reconstructions in:

1 *op
2 *kitä
3 *näkur
4 *tettə
5 *səmpəläŋkə
6 *məktut
7 *seytwə
8 *kitä(yn) tettə
9 *ämäytumə
10 *wüət

This may help for seeing the structures in the Samoyedic numerals and for connecting the Samoyedic "2" and "10" with the Finno-Ugric "2" and "5". The reconstructions are from Janhunens article on Samoyedic in Abondolo's "The Uralic Languages" but I don't know who should be credited for originally reconstructing them. I've changes Janhunen's <ø> for <ə> for the reduced vowel and <ng> for <ŋ> to make the forms easier to parse. The palatal glide is represented here with <y> similarly to the Nenets and Nganasan forms, though with Kamas the listing uses <j> for it. I guess it's your own call what to do with these language-to-language differences in the notation.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

A few more things to fix for Algic:

1. I realize some of my labeling was confusing, sorry. "(Ojibwean)" just meant Algonquin, Oji-Cree, Saulteaux, Odawa, and Southwestern Ojibwe [and Old Algonquin] are all dialects of the same language (well, of the same dialect chain). So they don't need that labeling after them, they should just be italicized to show their close relationship.

2. There's still extraneous <ƚ>s in two of the "Western Ojibwe" (should be "Southwestern Ojibwe" or "SW Ojibwe") -- seven and eight should be niizhwaaswi and (n)ishwaaswi

3. Naskapi is also part of the same dialect chain as the other Cree varieties and Innu.

4. Sauk and Kickapoo are both dialects of the same language as Fox. Sauk should also not be labeled "Mesquackie" in parentheses; the Sauk and Meskwaki were different groups, who spoke/speak Sauk and Fox respectively.

5. It looks like the Old Algonquin stuff was added just below Proto-Algonquian, but "Algonkin" (which is the same thing, just mistranscribed in places) was left in. Old Algonquin is an older form of modern Algonquin from the 17th century, so if it's kept it should be next to modern Algonquin, as part of the Ojibwe group. "Algonkin" should be removed as a duplicate.

6. "NE East Cree" and "SE East Cree" should presumably be either "Northern East Cree" and "Southern East Cree" or "NE Cree" and "SE Cree" or "N East Cree" and "S East Cree" respectively.

7. Proto-Eastern-Algonquian, Massachusett, and Yurok are dead.

8. There's an opening asterisk missing for Proto-Algonquian *nekwetwi (1) and Proto-Eastern-Algonquin *nəkwət (1).

9. Algic should still be a family. It contains Algonquian (which itself contains the subfamily Eastern Algonquian) and Ritwan.
Last edited by Whimemsz on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Found a source for Osage:
wį́xcį , ðǫǫpá , ðáabrį , tóopa , sáhta , šáhpe , hpéǫpa , hkíetoopa , lébrą hce wį́įke , lébrą
(Osage Grammar by Caroline Quintero)

And just to finish off Siouan, might as well give the Assiniboine. This only differs from what you have in a few places, but IIRC Cumberland says that some of the earlier work on Assiniboine had been with dialects with alot of interference from other Dakotan dialects, so these might be closer to a "pure" Assiniboine.
wąží , nų́pa , yámni , tópa , záptą , šákpe , iyúšna/šakówį , šaknóǧą , nąpcúwąka , wikcémna
(A Grammar of Assiniboine by Linda A. Cumberland)

I wasn't really looking at the formatting earlier-- just a couple comments: it's weird to list Assiniboine as a dialect (that's what the italics means, right?), especially if Lakota and Dakota are listed as separate languages. I would list it as a language. Chiwere and Kansa are extinct.

--

Yukian: (all four are extinct)

Yuki Proper (your "Yuki")
pąwe , ˀope , molme , ˀopmahąt , huyk’o , mek’ąs č’ilkeˀ , mikasko , pawmpat , hučampąwipan , hučamopisul

Huchnom
p’úwe , ˀópˀe , mólme , kesópe , pu:p’uč , p’u:tal , ˀópinun , kinasánun , hélpiso p’u:tal , hélpiso humač

Coast Yuki
bowik , opik , molmik , hilkilópik , powbát , powtít , óḇedot , mólmetit , hilkilópetit , bo:bátedit

Wappo
báwe , hópi , hobóka , óla , gáda , baténawk , hopídenawk , hopíhan , bá:lak , maháyš
(Yuki Grammar in its Areal Context with sketches of Huchnom and Coast Yuki by Uldis Ivars Jānis Balodis)

--

Yuchi
hit’é , nõwẽ , nakǽ , dæthlǽ , c’wãhé , ʼishtú , lácu , bifǽ , t’ekǽ , thl’æpé
(A Grammar of Euchee (Yuchi) by Mary Sarah Linn)

Okanagan
náqs , ʔasíl , kaʔɬís , mús , cílkst , t̓áq̓əmkst , sísp̓əlk̓ , tímɬ , x̣əx̣ n̓út , ʔúpənkst
(Colville Grammatical Structure by Anthony Mattina)

Lillooet
pálaʔ , ʔán̓was , kaɬás , x̌ʷʔúcin , pạyp , ƛ̓áq̓əmkst , cúɬakaʔ , pálʔupst , q̓əm̓pálmən , q̓əm̓p
(Lillooet-English Dictionary by Jan P. van Eijk)

Saanich (your "N Straits")
nə́t’ᶿəʔ , čə́səʔ , ɬíxʷ , ŋás , ɬq̓éčəs , t̓x̣ə́ŋ , t’ᶿáʔkʷəs , téʔθəs , tə́kʷəxʷ , ʔápən
(SENĆOŦEN Classified Word List, http://www.cas.unt.edu/~montler/Saanich ... /index.htm)

Nisga'a
k’il̓ , gilp’il , gwilal̓ , tx̱alpx̱ , kwsdins , ḵ’ool̓t , t’ipx̱ool̓t , g̱andool̓t , kwsdimoos , xbil̓
(Grammar of the Nisgha Language by Marie-Lucie Tarpent)

I can't find Gitksan. Rigsby's grammar doesn't have a numerals section, and there seems to be an online dictionary in the works but it doesn't have any of the numbers yet. A couple years back I exchanged emails with a guy who did fieldwork with the last speaker of Southern Tsimshian (Sgüüxs)-- I might see if I can find his email.

Better orthography for Nootka (probably rename to "Nuu-chah-nulth"), but unfortunately I couldn't find 6 and 9:
c̓awa·kʷ , ʔaƛa , qačc̓a , mu· , šuč̓a , ? , ʔaƛpu , ʔaƛakʷaɬ , ? , ḥayu
(Studies in Southern Wakashan (Nootkan) Grammar by Matthew Davidson)

Chitimacha (it is EXTREMELY hard to read the scan of the typescript, so I might have one or two diacritics missing or something)
ʔungu , ʔupa , ka·yǯi , meša , husa , hatka , kiata , ke·ta , mišta , heyǯi
(Chitimacha grammar, texts and vocabula by Morris Swadesh)

Klallam, Makah, and Quileute are extinct as well.
The Gospel of Thomas

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Chumashan (all extinct):

Proto-Chumashan:
*paka- , *eSkom- , *mVsiq(') , *Skum(')u , [>4 not given]

Ineseño Chumash
pakas̓ , 'iškom̓ , masɨx , skumu , yitipakas̓ , yitiškom̓ , yitimasɨx , malawa , spa , č̓iyaw

Barbareño Chumash (you have this as "Chumash")
pak'a , 'iškóm' , masix , skum'u , yitipak'a , yitiškóm' , yitimasix , malawa , spa’ , k'eleškóm'

Ventureño Chumash
pake’et , ’iškom̓ , masəx , tskumu , yətipake’es , yəti’iškom̓ , yətimasəx , malawa , tspa , ka’aškom̓

Purisimeño Chumash
pakas' , 'iškom' , masɨx , skumu , [>4 not given]

Obispeño Chumash
sumo , 'estʸu' , misɨ' , paksi , tiy'eni , ksuw'astʸu , ksuwasnisɨ , skom'o , [9 not given] , tutʸimɬi

Cruzeño Chumash
'ismala , 'iščom , masɨx , skumu , (na)syetisma , (na)syetiščom , (na)syetmasɨx , malawa , spa'a / cpa , kaškom

sources:
ventureno: A Pedagogical Grammar of Ventureño Chumash (Timothy Paul Henry)
ineseno: Ineseño Chumash Grammar (Richard B. Applegate)
the rest: Topics in Historical Chumash Grammar (Kathryn Ann Klar)
The Gospel of Thomas

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Just curious, how do you have access to such a quantity of new books on North American Indian languages? The NU and U. Illinois libraries are not gifted in those areas...

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

zompist wrote:Just curious, how do you have access to such a quantity of new books on North American Indian languages? The NU and U. Illinois libraries are not gifted in those areas...
I've spent several years collecting PDFs, particularly in areas of interest (which includes NAmerican languages).

This stuff, though, I just found on Google: "Yuman numerals" by Margaret Langdom and Pamela Munroe in American Indian and Indo-European Studies: Papers in Honor of Madison S. Beeler

1       2        3       4         5         6                7              8              9           10

Walapai   	sit       hwak    hmuk    hopaʔ     θrap      tispeʔ           wakspeʔ        mukspeʔ        halθu·y     vwa·v
Havasupai    síta      həwáka  həmúka  hopá      θitápa    tispé            həwakspé       həmukspé       halaθúya    vəwáava
Yavapai   	sit-i     hwak-i  hmuk-i  hopa      θrap-i    tspe             hwakspe        hmukspe        halθuy-i    vwa·v-i
Moj. (att)   ʔasent    havik   hamok   čumpap    θarap     ʔamaykʔasentknʸ  ʔamaykhaviknʸ  ʔamaykhamoknʸ  halʸu·θuy   rap havik
Moj. (cnt.)  seto      havik   hamok   čumpap    θarap     si·nt            vi·k           mu·k           pay         ʔarap
Yuma      	ʔašent    xavik   xamok   cu·mpap   sa·rap    xu·mxu·k         pa·xkʸe·       si·pxu·k       xamxamok    ša·xu·k
Maricopa  	asʸéntik  xavík   xamók   tsʸumpáp  saráp     xumxók           paxkyék        sepxók         xᵘmxᵘmók    sʸaxók
Dieg. (MG)   ʔəxink    xəwak   xəmuk   čəpap     sa·rap    -                -              -              -           -
D. (Campo)   ʔəṣin     xəwak   xəmuk   čəpap     sa·rap    xəmxu·k          pəxka·y        čəpxu·k        yamxəmuk    ṣaxuk
Cocopa  	  šiṭ       xwak    xmuk    spap      ṣrap      xmxu·k           pxka·          spxu·k         xmxmuk      ṣa·xu·k
Paipai       šit       xəwak   xəmuk   xopa-k    sərap     təšpé-k          pəxkáy         čipxó·k        xámxəmúk    vəmás
Kiliwa   	 msir      xwaq    xmuq    mnaq      sal čpam  msir-lhpa·ypʰ    xwaq-lhpa·yp   xmuq-lhpa·yp   msirtqmat   čpam msir
att. = attributive
cnt. = counting
Dieg. = Diegueño
MG = Mesa Grande dialect

(most of those languages it looks like you don't need to update, but a few of them you do, and so I figure I might as well just copy the whole table)
The Gospel of Thomas

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

The Middle Sepik numerals should probably be updated to follow more recent sources, where such are available. Here's my take.

Manambu

1   nakaməy, nak, nə
2   viti
3   mugul
4   a:li
5   taba:b
6   abun             a:b + [1] ?
7   abəti            a:b + [2]
8   abumugul         a:b + [3]
9   aba:li           a:b + [4]
10  tabəti, tabati   ta:b + [2]
These are from Aikhenvald's 2008 grammar. The forms for 1-4 reflect quite well the ones that are already listed on the numbers page but these ones follow a more carefully done phonetic analysis where the phonemic vowels are /a æ u i ə a: æ: u: i:/. The composition of 6-10 is given in the second column but all of these forms include phonological reduction. The composition of 6 includes an -n suffix which is probably connected to the numeral 1. Alternate forms are given for 1 and 10

Iatmul

1   ki'ta
2   vi'li'vi'li'k
3   kuvuk
4   ainak
5   taba-nak
6   si'la-ki'ta      si'la [1]
7   si'la-vli        si'la [2]
8   si'la-kuvuk      si'la [3]
9   si'la-ainak      si'la [4]
10  taba-vli         taba [2]
These are taken from Jendraschek's 2012 grammar and again differ slightly from the already listed forms. The notation is a practical orthography which was vetted by Jendraschek's native informants, so it's possible to use that. If you want to change it, then <i'> stands for /ɨ/, the liquid <l> is actually usually pronounced as [ɾ], and the voiced stops are prenasalised, as in all Middle Sepik languages. The composition of the higher numbers is given in the second column noting that the bound form of 2 is reduced.

Abelam

1   nakurak
2   vétik
3   kupuk
4   nakwasa, wan vétik wan vétik
5   naktaba
6   naktaba sékét naktaba kayék nakurak
7   naktaba sékét naktaba kayék vétik
8   naktaba sékét naktaba kayék kupuk
9   naktaba sékét naktaba kayék wan vétik wan vétik
10  taaba vétik
These are from Wilson's 1980 grammar. Here the higher numbers start to be quite complex but their composition should be clear. The element ta(a)ba, which appears from 5 to 10 (as well as in the cognate forms in Manambu and Iatmul), means "hand". There are two alternate forms for 4. The composite form corresponds to the already listed "[2] [2]" but is morphologically somewhat more complex. The shorter form nakwasa appears to be more common, though. In the orthography <é> stands for /ɨ/.

Hanga Hundi = Kwasengen

1   natapa
2   yéték
3   hupuk
4   yétiyéti         [2] [2]
I could only find standard forms for 1 up to 4 in Hanga Hundi from Wendel's 1993 grammar. Simple numbers apparently go up to 6 but I didn't see those mentioned anywhere. The grammar describes that higher numbers are formed compositionally similar to Abelam and gives one example as

angé tamba hupuk angé tamba yétiyéti
this hand 3 this hand 4
"7"

You could try to generalise the pattern but I won't guess what compositions would actually be preferred for other higher numbers. Actually I'm not even sure how standardised the form for 7 is or if other arithmetical compositions are also in use. Here again <é> = /ɨ/.

Skou

Since we are at it, you definitely want to add the Skou numerals under the Sko family. This is a system where the numbers are formed through a series of partial additive bases and only go up to 24. Below 10 you encounter numerals based on 5 and 8. The forms are from Donohue's grammar.

1   áling
2   hìngtung
3   héngtong
4   nongpong
5   nápang
6   nápánghì            [5] + hì
7   nápang héngtong     [5] [3]
8   náhìpa
9   náhìpa pa áling     [8] pa [1]
10  náhìpa pa hìngtung  [8] pa [2]
The hilarious part of this is that it assumes 7=5+3, which implies at least some sort of semantic drift or confusion for the component numerals despite the individual root words having retained their phonetic forms well.
Last edited by gach on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

At a guess, I'd say that the Skou word for '5' used be the word for '4', since the element in '6' looks to be found in '2' as well.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

That's also the theory that Donohue favours.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Caught up, I think! Thanks again!

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Nice. I noticed that the numbers 7-10 for both Manambu and Iatmul are all for some reason misplaced under the column for 7.

I though also more about the Skou family numbers. Donohue's Skou grammar gives the numbers 1-8 in phonetic notation also for Dusur, Dumo, Leitre, and Wutung. Wutung is already in your list and I don't know how exactly the orthography used in your list and Donohue's phonetic notation relate to each other. Donohue also gives separately Dumo and Dusur, which together form Vanimo. The Vanimo numbers on the list sometimes correspond better to Dumo and sometimes to Dusur. I think it's again your decision what to do with these.

Dusur

1   opa
2   yumono
3   ɛ̃du
4   noɔ
5   no mlɛ o
6   no mlɛ yumono
7   no mlɛ ɛ̃du
8   buyɵ
Dumo

1   oɸa
2   yumɔno
3   ɛnu
4   nuɔ
5   nuɔ mlɛ oɸa
6   nuɔ mlɛ yumɔno
7   nuɔ mlɛ ɛnu
8   nuyu
Leitre

1   ɔpa
2   yumonu
3   inɔ
4   noɔ
5   noɔ kã be
6   noɔ kã u
7   noɔ kã yumonu
8   noɔ kã inɔ
Wutung

1   ɔfa
2   hnyɔmɔ
3   hɛnɔ
4   nɔu
5   nɔi
6   nɔtʃiɔ
7   nɔtʃi nyũ
8   nɔtʃi hɛnɔ
Donohue also gives the nunber 24 in Dusur as buβi and in Dumo as muti oɸa. Muti is already what you have for Vanimo as 10 and based on the confusion in the Skou numbers and what's going on in Leitre (7 = "4+2" and 8 = "4+3"), it's entirely possible that these forms are being reanalysed as 10.

I'saka

There's also the I'saka grammar by the same author where you can dig up the numerals for 1-7 and 10 in the dictionary. It gives multiple forms for many of the numbers but the most basic set seems to be

1   kaipa
2   sie
3   sie kaipa
4   sie sie
5   sie sie kaipa
6   dóu keni(ki) bai kaipa
7   dóu keni(ki) bai sie
10  dóu sie
Finally I noticed that you have both Äiwoo (Aiwo) and Santa Cruz listed under "East Papuan". The East Papuan grouping lacks as a whole evidence but it can be a good geographical umbrella to help finding these languages in the list. However, both Äiwoo and Santa Cruz should be moved under the Oceanic languages according to the present knowledge. Here's Wikipedia on them,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reefs_%E2 ... _languages

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

There are still just a few issues I'm finding with the numerals in some of the Indian languages:

1. I still think the word for 'six' in Hindi should be transcribed che and spelled छह.
2. 'Five' in Hindi should be spelled पाँच.
3. 'Three' in Gujarati should be <traṇ>, not *<trəṇ>.
4. The transliteration of some of the Telugu numerals should be fixed. 'Two' should be ‎reṇḍu, 'three' should be mūḍu, 'four' should be nālugu, 'six' should be āru, and 'seven' should be ēḍu.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

The Cornish numbers can be found here with links to all the Celtic languages, even the extinct Cumbric and older forms of Welsh and Irish.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Cornish is already on the list. The fact that Cornish appears in gray (in Unified Cornish) may be confusing.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Ahvaz is written in italics under "Western (Ma'lula)" making it look like a dialect of WNA. It should be (non-italicized) "Mandaic (Ahvaz)" or "Neo-Mandaic (Ahvaz)".

Here's Tambora:
1 seena , 2 kálae , 3 nih , 4 kude-in , 5 kutélin , 6 báta-in , 7 kúmba , 8 koného , 9 láli , 10 saróne
(The Papuan Language of Tambora by Mark Donohue)

And a couple better orthographies:

Eyak:
1 LinhG-ih , 2 la’d-ih , 3 t’uhLga’ , 4 qAlahqa’ga’ , 5 ch’a:n’-ih , 6 tsi’i:n , 7 la’dits’i:n , 8 q’adits’i:n , 9 guts’de: , 10 dAGa:q’
(Eyak Grammar Draft in Progress by Michael Krauss)

Haida:
1 sɢ̪wáansang , 2 sdáng , 3 hlɢ̪únahl , 4 stánsang , 5 tléehl , 6 tla’únhl , 7 jagwaa , 8 sdáansaangaa , 9 tláahl sɢ̪wáansang gúu , 10 tláahl
(Dictionary of Alaskan Haidaby Jordan Lachler)

1 and 2 are reconstructible for Proto-Athabaskan-Eyak:
1 *LEnq’ , 2 *na’-
(src: Krauss again)

One thing you might wanna do is just go through all of your North American and Meso-American tables and do a Find -> Replace of "þ" with "θ"... a lot of what you have looks good except for having had to use thorn instead of theta on the 90sweb. I doubt that would mess anything up.

(I'm still working on getting Southern Tsimshian and Gitksan.)
The Gospel of Thomas

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Xephyr wrote:(I'm still working on getting Southern Tsimshian and Gitksan.)
I have Dunn's 1995 grammar at home. IIRC, he lists Gitksan forms for at least some lexemes.

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

dyolf wrote:The Cornish numbers can be found here with links to all the Celtic languages, even the extinct Cumbric and older forms of Welsh and Irish.
The 'Cumbric' forms are, technically, specialist English numbers - the 'sheep-counting' numerals. It's not even certain that they derive from Cumbric. Even if they do, they've changed a lot since they were part of the Cumbric language. It's been claimed, on the basis of the combining element 'a' corresponding to Welsh ar, that they're actually Welsh.

Now, possibly the Welsh form diffused into Old British lingering on in England. Weirdly, the 'sheep-counting' numerals are also recorded from Wiltshire. I suspect that's diffusion within English, though we don't know how long Old British lingered on in Wiltshire.