Sound of ancient languages

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Sound of ancient languages

Post by Qwynegold »

OMG I have to share this clip about how various ancient languages supposively sounded like: https://youtu.be/50By01L7uzY

PIE didn't sound consonant-heavy at all, like I had expected. Middle Egyptian sounds kinda nice somehow. Not as harsh as Semitic languages. But Old Chinese is hilarious! :-D

What do you think about this clip?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

M Mira
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Sound of ancient languages

Post by M Mira »

Qwynegold wrote:OMG I have to share this clip about how various ancient languages supposively sounded like: https://youtu.be/50By01L7uzY

PIE didn't sound consonant-heavy at all, like I had expected. Middle Egyptian sounds kinda nice somehow. Not as harsh as Semitic languages. But Old Chinese is hilarious! :-D

What do you think about this clip?
From the quackery thread:
Frislander wrote:
The Proto-Indo-European, Sumerian and Old Japanese ones are of course speculative (though less so the Old Japanese), and the Old Chinese one sounds like he's just come across the language.

The Latin one pronounces "v" as "v", not "w" as it was, as well as palatalising the velars when he shouldn't (that is, never).

I'm not hearing ejectives in the Mayan.

I'm also not sure that Old English, Middle Chinese, Old Norse, Early Middle Japanese, Quechua and Ryukyuan count as "ancient", especially since two of them represent later versions of languages already represented.
Nortaneous wrote:
The Old English is relatively good. The only problem is vowel reduction where there shouldn't be, and that could've been there in the actual OE period.

AFAICT, everything else is garbage.
IMO if they don't put the text they're reading in the video then it's rather obfuscating.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Many of them sound stilted--you can tell they're reading a language they're not quite comfortable with. I rather enjoyed the Sumerian, though.

EDIT: To add to the problems mentioned above, I wasn't hearing the ejectives in the Akkadian reading, either, though I did in Phoenician.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Oh sorry, I never clicked Kath's link, so I didn't realize this had already been posted. :/

As for the Old Norse, I think it sounds as if it's read by Danes.
My most recent quiz:

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Qwynegold wrote:Oh sorry, I never clicked Kath's link, so I didn't realize this had already been posted. :/

As for the Old Norse, I think it sounds as if it's read by Danes.
We've just determined in the Quackery thread that they're both Icelanders and only the first speaker is trying to speak Old Norse.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ah, okay. I'll take a look in that thread again.
My most recent quiz:

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

The "Aramaic" one is taken from the first verses of Chapter 2 of Daniel, and is actually Hebrew. That text doesn't switch into Aramaic until two verses after the sample ends. :roll:

Hebrew and Aramaic at that time had very similar phonologies, so the pronunciation is okayish, but there are no ejectives, and of course the whole thing is read haltingly and with unnatural intonation.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Oh no! >__<
My most recent quiz: