Phoenician Dictionary

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Phoenician Dictionary

Post by Zaarin »

Anyone know where to find A Comparitive Semitic Lexicon of the Phoenician and Punic Languages by Dr. Richard Tomback--or any other lexicon/dictionary of Phoenician and/or Punic? Amazon says it's out of print.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Phoenician Dictionary

Post by jal »

Zaarin wrote:Anyone know where to find A Comparitive Semitic Lexicon of the Phoenician and Punic Languages by Dr. Richard Tomback--or any other lexicon/dictionary of Phoenician and/or Punic? Amazon says it's out of print.
Library? Oh, you can buy it used for the mere sum of US$ 277.11. Or, alternatively, for € 267.81. A bargain!

JAL

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

jal wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Anyone know where to find A Comparitive Semitic Lexicon of the Phoenician and Punic Languages by Dr. Richard Tomback--or any other lexicon/dictionary of Phoenician and/or Punic? Amazon says it's out of print.
Library? Oh, you can buy it used for the mere sum of US$ 277.11. Or, alternatively, for € 267.81. A bargain!

JAL
...Ouch. There is a university library that has it on the other end of my state; I may have to plan a research trip. :p

oxlahun
Niš
Niš

Post by oxlahun »

You may be able to get it brought to you via interlibrary loan.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

oxlahun wrote:You may be able to get it brought to you via interlibrary loan.
You'd still need a library nearby then. I don't know what the library density is in the average American state?

JAL

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Well, the real issue is I can only find it at university libraries which tend to be possessive about their books when it comes to non-students. However, I did find a copy of Krahmalkov's Phoenician/Punic dictionary at my local library, so I think that should cover my needs. At least insofar as one can expect to have one's needs met from such fragmentary evidence...