Lowered HAPPY vowels in NAE

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Lowered HAPPY vowels in NAE

Post by Travis B. »

From listening around to people here, I notice that both my mother and my daughter have lowered HAPPY vowels oftentimes, pronouncing them as [ɪ~e]; I myself sometimes have [ɪ] for HAPPY, but I had dismissed this as just my speech being weird. The thing is that in dialects related relatively closely to GA HAPPY is supposed to be a tense , so I would assume this is a more recent innovation rather than being a conservatism shared with NAE dialects that at least historically had HAPPY vowels other than . So is anyone aware of there being HAPPY vowels realized as [ɪ~e] in NAE outside of dialects which historically had this?
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Lowered HAPPY vowels in NAE

Post by Sumelic »

Travis B. wrote:From listening around to people here, I notice that both my mother and my daughter have lowered HAPPY vowels oftentimes, pronouncing them as [ɪ~e]; I myself sometimes have [ɪ] for HAPPY, but I had dismissed this as just my speech being weird. The thing is that in dialects related relatively closely to GA HAPPY is supposed to be a tense , so I would assume this is a more recent innovation rather than being a conservatism shared with NAE dialects that at least historically had HAPPY vowels other than . So is anyone aware of there being HAPPY vowels realized as [ɪ~e] in NAE outside of dialects which historically had this?

I'm only familiar with NAE speakers having lowered "HAPPY" in singing contexts.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

I don't know what particular dialect it comes from, but I see eye-dialect spellings such as "partay" or "kitteh" often enough (these two seem to be known relatively widely but it's by no means limited to them); which presumably aim for a vowel closer to FACE than FLEECE.

Another question though is if this actually is meant to stand for [e]. I've definitely heard dialects where FACE is roughly [i̞] (i.e. higher than KIT despite no pin-pen merger) while FLEECE is [ɪj].
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I only hear this phenomenon in singing and as an intentional mispronunciation. I'm not aware if it being dialectal at all.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Nachtuil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nachtuil »

Incominh beginner question: I am fairly certain NAE is north American English but what are HAPPY vowels?

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Nachtuil wrote:Incominh beginner question: I am fairly certain NAE is north American English but what are HAPPY vowels?
The vowels in the last syllable of "happy." EDIT: Sorry, I got it wrong myself at first. :P

I've definitely heard those vowels in partay, kitteh, etc., though. It's pretty common down here in Southern US.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

HAPPY vowels are a set of words used in describing the phonology of English dialects, specifically with the final sound of words like city, kitty, and happy. According to Wikipedia, they are most often:
  • /i/ in Australian, Canadian (part of NAE), General American (part of NAE), New Zealand and Standard Singapore English
  • /ɪj/ in Received Pronunciation
  • vary between /i/ and /e/ in Scottish English
  • /iˑ/ in South African English
  • /iː/ in Welsh English
Keep in mind that there are considerable regional and class variations in pronunciation within most if not all of those dialects.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I am aware of lowered HAPPY vowels being found in Southern American English and AAVE, and in particular I was wondering if they show up anywhere else in NAE, as the rest of NAE is supposed to have .

Nachtuil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nachtuil »

Ah thank you for explaining that.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Nachtuil wrote:Ah thank you for explaining that.
HAPPY is part of an additional lexical set for English, as defined by phonologist John C. Wells.

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

mèþru wrote:I only hear this phenomenon in singing and as an intentional mispronunciation. I'm not aware if it being dialectal at all.
Same. Though some of those intentional mispronunciations seem to have originated as parodies of actual speech varieties. I think for example of "RALLAY I do!" which I got from Warner Brothers cartoons and seems to be mocking a particular actress of the era.

Historically, this vowel was laxed all the way to [ə] in parts of my home state, hence the well-known (chiefly rural) variant "Missourah". But nowadays its occurrence seems limited and lexical.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

The thing about such eye-dialect spellings is I read them as being stressed differently from what they should be, due to perceiving final /eɪ/ as always stressed or at least secondarily stressed. (Whereas I don't perceive my mother and daughter's final [e] as even being the same phoneme as /eɪ/.)

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Blanche in The Golden Girls uses these lowered vowels very often.