Stressed /ə/ in English

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Stressed /ə/ in English

Post by Travis B. »

Typically stressed /ə/ in English seems to be identified with /ʌ/ in the popular mind, as shown by the frequent writing of /ə/ in eye dialect as <u> or <uh>.

The thing is that stressed /ə/ seems to be pronounced either [a] or [ɘ] here, depending on position, not as [ʌ]. For instance, when trying to get my daughter Alyssa's attention I pronounce her name as [ˌaːˈʟ̞ɘˌsaː] instead of the usual [ˈɰɘsəː] not as *[ˌʌːˈʟ̞ɘˌsʌː].

Does anyone else have or hear "non-standard" pronunciations of stressed /ə/ in English?
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Stressed /ə/ in English

Post by zompist »

Could this be a spelling pronunciation? If your daughter's name was Ursula, would you emphasize it as [ur sa la]?

If someone misspelled "photograph" as "photagraph", I can imagine telling them "It's [fo to græf]", not because there's an underlying /to/ but because of the spelling.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I thought schwa was /ʊ/ when I was 10 years old or so, and I still think it makes sense. The only true stressed schwa in American English is in words like "pull" and "full" which in a dictionary are listed as having /ʊ/. It cant be considered just an allophone of /ʌ/ after a labial because of the minimal pair "put"/"putt".
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote:Could this be a spelling pronunciation? If your daughter's name was Ursula, would you emphasize it as [ur sa la]?
I would pronounce it as [ˈʁ̩ˌsʲaːˌʟ̞aː].
zompist wrote:If someone misspelled "photograph" as "photagraph", I can imagine telling them "It's [fo to græf]", not because there's an underlying /to/ but because of the spelling.
The thing is that this is under the influence of the form photo.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Travis B. wrote:
zompist wrote:If someone misspelled "photograph" as "photagraph", I can imagine telling them "It's [fo to græf]", not because there's an underlying /to/ but because of the spelling.
Yes, that's the point. Alyssa begins with A.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
Yes, that's the point. Alyssa begins with A.
Except I don't normally pronounce <a> as [a] (note not [ɑ]) except in father and foreign words such as pasta and potentially a few sporadic changes of /ɔ/ to /ɑ/ pronounced [a] despite no cot-caught merger (but all of these spelled <a> that I can think of, such as swan and wasp are pronounced [ɑ], but there are cases pronounced [a] but these are spelled <au> such as astronaut); its normal pronunciation here is [ɛ]~[eɛ]~[iɛ], [ɑ] (but I note my daughter has [ɒ] instead of [ɑ] here despite not being cot-caught merged), or in some words [e]~[eɪ].

Not that I was refering to influence from related lexemes and not mere spelling pronunciation above.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

...I can't think of any instance of /ə/ being stressed in my dialect. The closest instances I can think of are stressed syllabic resonants like /n̩/ or /l̩/. To use your example, the second vowel in Alyssa for me is /ɪ/ (/əˈlɪsə/).
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Cognomen
Niš
Niš

Post by Cognomen »

What about pronouncing "the" with a stress, without pronouncing it like "thee"?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Cognomen wrote:What about pronouncing "the" with a stress, without pronouncing it like "thee"?
I'm pretty certain that the is either /ðə/ or /ˈði/ for me, but I suppose I could imagine [ˈðə(ː)] not being outside the realm of possibility.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Zaarin wrote:...I can't think of any instance of /ə/ being stressed in my dialect. The closest instances I can think of are stressed syllabic resonants like /n̩/ or /l̩/. To use your example, the second vowel in Alyssa for me is /ɪ/ (/əˈlɪsə/).
I should note that the stressed vowel in Alyssa for me is /ɪ/, which I realize as [ɘ] except before /r/.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

/ə/ and /ʌ/ sound similar enough for me (native southern-ish British English speaker) that I'd quite happily analyse them as the same phoneme. If you'd asked me before I had any linguistic training, I'd have said London had the same vowel sound in both syllables.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Curlyjimsam wrote:/ə/ and /ʌ/ sound similar enough for me (native southern-ish British English speaker) that I'd quite happily analyse them as the same phoneme. If you'd asked me before I had any linguistic training, I'd have said London had the same vowel sound in both syllables.
One note is that /ʌ/ is typically more like [ɐ] than true [ʌ] in most English varieties, so this is not surprising. Inland North varieties, of which I speak one, are pretty atypical in having true [ʌ] for /ʌ/.

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

Soap wrote:The only true stressed schwa in American English is in words like "pull" and "full" which in a dictionary are listed as having /ʊ/.
Isn't this rather circular?

Of course you'll conclude that schwa is /ʊ/ if you start with the assumption that the sound in words with /ʊ/ is a stressed schwa.

Incidentally, I fully agree that "put" and "putt" are not homophones, but for me the schwa is definitely closer to the latter than the former.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

gmalivuk wrote:
Soap wrote:The only true stressed schwa in American English is in words like "pull" and "full" which in a dictionary are listed as having /ʊ/.

Of course you'll conclude that schwa is /ʊ/ if you start with the assumption that the sound in words with /ʊ/ is a stressed schwa.

Incidentally, I fully agree that "put" and "putt" are not homophones, but for me the schwa is definitely closer to the latter than the former.
@Soap: The thing is that "schwa" in English does not refer to a single phone. The symbol /ə/ is used to denote unstressed and reduced vowels that occur in various contexts. They don't contrast with one another, but the different contexts usually condition different phonetic realizations.

I can distinguish at least the following general allophones in my speech corresponding to the "schwa" phoneme (as it's usually transcribed):
  • The vowel at the end of words like "comma" or "Rosa" is pretty close to [ɐ]. This sounds to me essentially the same as the vowel in "strut". I'm kind of suspicious about whether this should even be grouped in with "schwa" properly speaking, since I associate schwa with neutralization of vowel contrasts, but there are a number of other vowel phonemes that contrast with commA (at least happY and grotto), and the vowel of commA/RosA contrasts with the epenthetic vowel of rosEs.
  • The vowel in the second syllable of words like "parrot" is possibly actually close to being phonetic [ə]. It's merged, or near-merged, with the vowel in words like "turret" or "rabbit", which is generally identified with KIT. I would say the nearest equivalent to the last vowel of "parrot" in stressed syllables is either KIT [ɪ] or STRUT [ɐ]; I can't determine which is closer. FOOT /ʊ/ (something like [ɵ] for me, I think) is somewhat close, but not the best fit.
  • Words like "button" and "chasm" have syllabic [n̩] and [m̩], I think. The nearest equivalent in stressed syllables is, again, probably KIT or STRUT followed by /n/ or /m/ respectively.
  • Words like "pencil" probably have syllabic [ɫ̩], I think. I would agree that the closest equivalent to this in stressed syllables for me is /ʊl/ as in "pull"; I'm not quite sure how this is realized phonetically (possibly [pɫ̩]?).
  • Words like "letter" have syllabic [ɹ̩], I think. The equivalent in stressed syllables is the "nurse" vowel, which might also just be syllabic [ɹ̩]. I don't know if it's rounded or not. I wouldn't particularly object to analyzing this phonemically as /ʊr/, since I've merged CURE into NURSE (although POOR is merged into NORTH/FORCE).
Last edited by Sumelic on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have the following realizations of the schwa (I do not have separate schwa and schwi phonemes):

I have a general-case low realization, as in comma or Rosa, which is [ə].
I have a general-case high realization, as in parrot, turret, or rabbit, which is [ɘ]. This is identical to my stressed KIT vowel. Note that the conditions that determine whether the general-case low or the general-case high realization are used are somewhat complex, but the general case is that morpheme-final schwas are low and other schwas are high except when adjacent to a labial or a liquid and not a coronal.
I have syllabic nasal, such as in button but chasm, i.e. [n̩] and [m̩]. Also note that if the nasal is followed by a vowel, it is realized again. Note that however low realizations are commonly found adjacent to /m/ and high realizations are commonly found adjacent to /n/ and these are frequently interchangeable except that /tn/ always is realized with a syllabic nasal.
I have two realizations which are combined with a following vocalized /l/, namely [ɯ] and [ʊ], which depend upon the rounding of that adjacent to them. Also note that if the /l/ is followed by a vowel, it is realized again. Note that pull is not a stressed counterpart of this, as I analyze it as /ʊl/ due to being realized as a [ʊ] which undergoes no centralization unlike actual /ʊ/.
I have a realization combined with a following /r/, namely [ʁ̩]. Note that the generalized low realization may be used instead in some environments, such as initially. Also note that if the /r/ is followed by a vowel, it is realized again. Note that this is identical to NURSE and, aside from the glide, some cases of CURE, and indeed I analyze NURSE and the non-glide component of some cases of CURE as involving a stressed schwa.

Note that these variations are truly allophonic, and despite the examples above do not match what is indicated by the orthography or the standard language, e.g. [ə]maginary or [ɘ]ttack or transmissi[ɘ]n.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

gmalivuk wrote:

Well, my answer to that is that I was 10 years old, and had never heard of the Internet, but I did have access to a dictionary that used IPA. Still, isnt it true that the vowel of PULL in General American is truly [ə], or at least closer to [ə] than to [ʊ]? I've never heard a rounded vowel in that word as far as I know, nor have I heard a syllabic [l]. I'm not saying my theory is the only correct one, just that it still bothers me when people seem to automatically associate the schwa with [ʌ].

I would say for my dialect, any vowel can be unstressed. Words like "above" and "Rosa" do not have a schwa, but rather an /ʌ/, as shown by the three-way minimal pair Rosa's/roses/Rose is. It's possible, though, I admit, that "roses" and similar words actually have /ɪ/, since I can't think of a minimal pair that doesn't cross word boundaries. Still, I think the vowel in words like "excite" is separate from /ɪ/, as I would pronounce a word like "ixcite" differently if it existed.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Soap wrote: Isn't it true that the vowel of PULL in General American is truly [ə], or at least closer to [ə] than to [ʊ]? I've never heard a rounded vowel in that word as far as I know, nor have I heard a syllabic [l]. I'm not saying my theory is the only correct one, just that it still bothers me when people seem to automatically associate the schwa with [ʌ].

I would say for my dialect, any vowel can be unstressed. Words like "above" and "Rosa" do not have a schwa, but rather an /ʌ/, as shown by the three-way minimal pair Rosa's/roses/Rose is. It's possible, though, I admit, that "roses" and similar words actually have /ɪ/, since I can't think of a minimal pair that doesn't cross word boundaries. Still, I think the vowel in words like "excite" is separate from /ɪ/, as I would pronounce a word like "ixcite" differently if it existed.
Well, I tried analyzing some of my vowels in Praat. (I haven't done this before, so I may have made some mistakes). It seems to me like the vowel I use in PULL is nearer to the vowel I use in HOOD than the vowel I use in parrOt. parrOt is definitely the closest vowel: I measured an F1 of around 300-450. PULL was more open, with F1 around 480-540. I had a hard time measuring formants for FOOT because the vowel was so short, so I decided to use HOOD with a voiced consonant in the coda. HOOD had an F1 of around 480-490. So I think PULL was nearer to HOOD than to parrOt. I don't know about the realization of schwa in other words, though: as I said, it tends to be variable, and it probably would be more open before a labial or velar consonant. Also, maybe I should have compared to a schwa before a voiced consonant like /d/ (e.g. "naked") to be consistent, but I don't feel like taking the effort to do that now.

FOOT oddly seemed to have an even more open vowel, with F1 around 491-693, or maybe even up to 800, but as I said I think I might have had problems with identifying it correctly.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Soap wrote:Still, isnt it true that the vowel of PULL in General American is truly [ə], or at least closer to [ə] than to [ʊ]? I've never heard a rounded vowel in that word as far as I know, nor have I heard a syllabic [l].
Speaking for my GenAm dialect, pull is definitely /pʰl̩/.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I would generally think it is a bad idea to believe that one speaks General American, e.g. I wouldn't be surprised if many people here would think they speak GA, had they any idea of what GA is, when in reality they speak anything but it.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Zaarin wrote:Speaking for my GenAm dialect, pull is definitely /pʰl̩/.
[pʰl̩]

JAL

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

It is hard for me to intuitively think of syllabic [l̩] in English, considering how overwhelmingly l-vocalizing the dialect I am used to is in all registers (and I don't mean the weird-ass variety I speak, I mean what everyone here speaks, even people who speak relatively close to standard).

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Zaarin wrote:
Soap wrote:Still, isnt it true that the vowel of PULL in General American is truly [ə], or at least closer to [ə] than to [ʊ]? I've never heard a rounded vowel in that word as far as I know, nor have I heard a syllabic [l].
I don't believe you.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

I'm a mix of North Midlands and Inland North (a couple hour's drive north of where GA is/was naturally spoken), and it definitely feels in more careful pronunciation that I have a syllabic /l/ in <pull full>, except there's still optionally some pulling in of the lips on the /p f/. If it's artificially lengthened, the vowel is /ʊ/. In normal speech before a non-coronal consonant, I'm pretty sure it often loses the coronal contact though and becomes a pure vowel in the lower uvular/upper pharyngeal region, just behind where I'd normally pronounce /q/.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Shudders at memory of a literature teacher who insisted that syllabic nasals do not exist.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

thetha wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
I don't believe you.
mèþru wrote:Shudders at memory of a literature teacher who insisted that syllabic nasals do not exist.
I don't understand why anyone would care whether random people believe or don't believe stressed [l̩] exists in some accents of American English. If there is disagreement, people should find some type of convincing evidence, like audio files, spectrogram analysis, citations of linguistic literature.

Here is a citation I found:
Is there a stressed syllabic /l/? Answer: yes, in some dialects. This may come about from historical sequences of various short vowels plus /l/. Kantner & West (1938: 328) give the pronunciation [mɫ̩k] for "milk" (from /mɪlk/). Bailey (1985: 237) has "pull" (/pʊl/) as [pɫ̩ː], and has a spectrogram supporting the claim that there is really a pure syllabic consonant here, not a vowel followed by /l/. Wells (1982: 551) describes Southern American English dialects which have a stressed syllabic velar (not velarized alveolar) lateral [ʟː] out of /ʊl/ in words like "full", "bull", and "wolf", or even out of /ʌl/ in the words "bulge" and "bulk" (though it is not clear whether these latter two words had /ʌl/ directly before they had [ʟː] , or whether /ʊl/ was an intermediate stage). Hammond (1999: 143) mentions possible pronunciations of /ʊl/ and /ʌl/ in words such as "bull" or "mull" as [l̩].
—Guenter, Joshua. 2000. "The Vowels of California English Before /r/, /l/, and /ŋ/", pp. 104-105 http://escholarship.org/uc/item/602810m9

I would be interested in seeing any evidence that suggests that Bailey and Hammond were wrong, or that realizing /ʊl/ as [ɫ̩] is confined to non-standard dialects that should not be called General American.