Looking for a certain IPA keyboard

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Looking for a certain IPA keyboard

Post by communistplot »

I recently did a fresh install of windows and I'm used to this, http://archive.is/SCQ0, keyboard layout but the site seems to be down. Does anyone else use this layout and has the installers? I've tried using MSKLC to make a similar layout but don't remember all the deadkeys and the ones I did create don't always work right. I've never been able to get SIL's keyboard layouts to work for me and I've been using this one for years now so there's a certain familiarity with it so I appreciate very much anyone able to help.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Nachtuil
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Looking for a certain IPA keyboard

Post by Nachtuil »

I feel your pain. I have been working on one myself but it is rather different from that one and less complete. Hopefully someone else has a copy of that one for you.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I always used the slow, painful method of special character selection in OpenOffice and Google Docs.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

nmnmv123
Sanci
Sanci

Post by nmnmv123 »

I know you asked for a certain keyboard, but just in case you cant find it and need a replacement, I really like this one.
Conlangs
nyokSol /njokʃol/ - WIP
Dravko /ɖaɸkɔ/ - planned
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/ɛnɛmɛnɛmˈvi/ - noobing intensifies

Qxentio
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Qxentio »

If you can't find what you're looking for, use this.
http://ipa.typeit.org/full/
Of course it's only available online and you have to pay for an offline version, but I'm very happy with it. It's easy and self-explanatory to use.
Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. My second language is English. Olim discēbam Latinam. Sú ginévam Jagárhvejak. Opiskelen Suomea. Un ek kür en lütten Tick Platt.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Qxentio wrote:If you can't find what you're looking for, use this.
http://ipa.typeit.org/full/
That's the same one I linked to in another thread where someone was trying to figure out how to type out IPA. :D

Vlürch
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Vlürch »

Why not just download the free Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and assign all the IPA characters to whichever keys you want yourself? That's what I've done, although I still use pickers like these as well because sometimes I forget which key combination I've assigned a character to (for example, shift + ` + m = ⁿ) and I can't be arsed to mash random keys for half an hour... :P

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

Speaking of IPA, does anyone know of a better version of the English-International keyboard? One that has all the Latin letter variants?

I'm not satisfied with just á à ä â ã å æ, I'd like to see ă ā ą as well if there is enough room? Also for consonants. I'm tired of having like 10 different keyboards on my computer. If there was a way in which I could just attach any accent to any character like on Character Map without having to copy-paste, that'd be great.

I'm talking about things like: ė̜͆͌

bradrn
Niš
Niš

Post by bradrn »

cunningham wrote:Speaking of IPA, does anyone know of a better version of the English-International keyboard? One that has all the Latin letter variants?

I'm not satisfied with just á à ä â ã å æ, I'd like to see ă ā ą as well if there is enough room? Also for consonants. I'm tired of having like 10 different keyboards on my computer. If there was a way in which I could just attach any accent to any character like on Character Map without having to copy-paste, that'd be great.

I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard - it comes pre-installed on Windows. It doesn't cover all diacritics or diacritic-letter combinations (e.g. can't do ė̜͆͌ ã ĕ), but you can type letters like your examples á à ä â å æ ă ā ą:

Code: Select all

+---------+--------------+
|Character|What to press |
|á        |Ctrl+; a      |
|à        |AltGr+[ a     |
|ä        |Shift+[ a     |
|â        |[ a           |
|å        |Ctrl+Shift+[ a|
|æ        |Ctrl+a        |
|ă        |Ctrl+Shift+\ a|
|ā        |Ctrl+Shift+] a|
|ą        |Ctrl+Shift+= a|
(The above shows where to press on a US physical keyboard; on a UK keyboard substitute # for \.) There's a very good interactive version that shows you where all the characters are at https://www.microsoft.com/resources/msd ... bdcan.html. There's also some images on Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#Ca ... l_Standard.

If that doesn't work for you, there's also the Finnish Multilingual keyboard, if you can find a copy - it seems to have a few more diacritics. If you're interested in typing letters with multiple diacritics, you may also be interested in this layout.

Vlürch
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Vlürch »

cunningham wrote:Speaking of IPA, does anyone know of a better version of the English-International keyboard? One that has all the Latin letter variants?

I know I sound like a shill or something, but seriously, Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is perfect. I personally don't feel a need to type characters with multiple combining diacritics, but you could easily type all the diacritics you want if you assigned them as dead keys. In case you did download it and got put off by the warning that you need Windows Vista or whatever for it to work properly, just ignore it; I haven't had any problems with it even though I use XP. It can be a bit boring to assign all the key combinations, but it is worth it if you want to be able to conveniently type all the characters you want.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

JLG Utilities has a very extensive keyboard, though it appears to be no longer maintained and takes a bit of finagling to work properly on Windows 10.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver