Chadic Languages [resource request]

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Chadic Languages [resource request]

Post by ---- »

Anybody here familiar with the literature on Chadic languages, especially with regards to diachronics/historical phonology? I'd appreciate some texts that are overviews or are otherwise foundational, important, etc.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Chadic Languages [resource request]

Post by Chengjiang »

I'd also be very interested in this.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I'm not familiar with it, so idk whether this is going to help at all, but I happen to have a copy of The World's Major Languages, which does seem to mention a few. :) It says "the standard work on Chadic classification and the reconstruction of Proto-Chadic" is this:

Newman, P. 1977. Chadic Classification and Reconstructions (Undena, Malibu, Calif.)

It also says that this "treats Chadic vocabulary from a comparative perspective":

Jungraithmayr, Hermann and Kiyoshi Shimizu. 1981. Chadic Lexical Roots. II. Tentative Reconstruction, Grading and Distribution (Marburger Studien zur Afrika- und Asienkunde, A-26, Deitrich Reimer, Berlin)

And that this "is an attempt to establish definitively the membership of Chadic within Afroasiatic":

Newman, P. 1980. The Classification of Chadic Within Afroasiatic (Universitaire Pers, Leiden)

Everything else it mentions is Hausa-specific, so I'm not sure whether that's of interest to y'all, too.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Gravina, R. 2014: The phonology of Proto-Central Chadic (PhD dissertation, University of Leiden)