Code-switching

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Code-switching

Post by Vijay »

Pole, the wrote:
Io wrote:Yeah, could have been that, I hated listening to it and I didn't pay much attention. And it's pretty appalling that's how it's taught.
Isn't that a variant native pronunciation?
Not AFAIK. The variant native pronunciation is supposed to be [ç]. However, I did have a German teacher who I believe was an American of German heritage (or perhaps was just German??) and pronounced the ich-Laut as [ʃ] but only immediately before [h]. So [ʔɪç bɪn], but [ʔɪʃ ˈhabə].

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Pole, the wrote:Isn't that a variant native pronunciation?
Yes, in the native pronunciation of uneducated Turks and Kölsch (and I guess some other dialects around there) speakers.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Io wrote:
Yes, in the native pronunciation of uneducated Turks and Kölsch (and I guess some other dialects around there) speakers.
That's weird then.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Pole, the wrote:
Io wrote:
That's weird then.
The stereotypical "foreigner" pronunciation is [ʃ], and you also have that in German dialects. For me, [ɕ] is near enough to [ç] to be a good substitute, and I know Germans learning Polish wo do the same substitution the other way round.

richard1631978
Sanci
Sanci

Post by richard1631978 »

My girlfiend is Kenyan & often switches languages on the phone with friends & family. As well as English & Swahili she speaks some other African languages & sometimes speaks whole sentences in one before switching to another.