Tactile Diglossia

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ryan of Tinellb
Sanci
Sanci

Tactile Diglossia

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

I'm thinking of stealing Braille for my proto-language, which got me thinking about the evolution of writing systems. There are many examples of diglossia between spoken and written languages. While none of the current tactile alphabets have been around long enough for this to be a factor, is it plausible for diglossia to develop between tactile and non-tactile writing systems?
High Lulani and other conlangs at tinellb.com

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Tactile Diglossia

Post by Gulliver »

I remember hearing about Braille being at risk of decline because of the prevalence of decent screen readers and TTS software, Braille tales up more physical space than visually-recieved textand relies on special equipment so braille books tend to be very large and limited in range. Other tactile alphabets exist, such as Moon, but they tend to be niche, but that's ideal ground for diglossia to grow.

It is possible that there was simething like that in the move from carved writing to pigmented/ink writing. Early mixed scripts are quite often "defaced", e.g. Norse runes with ogham carved over the top in a kind of " fuck you and fuck your writing" gesture. Its unlikely runes etc were read by touch by anyone as literacy was less important to daily life.

A conworldy idea might be a "base" carved script and a "refined" inked one. Or sun-starved miners writing their histories on walls they can barely see but read with touch while the surface gentry can gaze lazily at gilded flourishes on the finest silk.