Geminate Consonants

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
bbbourq
Sanci
Sanci

Geminate Consonants

Post by bbbourq »

Are there IPA representations for geminate consonants?

In my conlang, I have separate characters differentiating between a short and long consonant. There is a symbol which denotes an elongated vowel using the suprasegmental [ː]; however, I have not seen a specific symbol used with consonants (perhaps mː ?). Arabic has the shadda which denotes a double consonant which alone can make the difference between two words and is usually pronounced accordingly. Unfortunately, not all languages pronounce a double consonant differently over a single consonant (cf. English lighter vs. better or German Kater vs. Mutter.)

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but my searches have not produced adequate results.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
--------
http://lortho.conlang.org

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Geminate Consonants

Post by Yng »

The colon (or slightly modified colon) is used for geminate consonants as well as long vowels. You could also write the consonant twice if that makes sense.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Yes, <ː> is the symbol you want, for consonants as well as vowels. Note that /mː/ and /mm/ are not necessarily the same thing and can contrast: you could have a hypothetical /amː.a/ vs. /am.ma/, for example. (I've always been fascinated by languages like Berber that feature word-initial long consonants...)
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

bbbourq
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bbbourq »

Brilliant! Thank you both for the guidance. I just needed a way to accurately represent the pronunciation as best as I can. I will incorporate this into my lexicon.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
--------
http://lortho.conlang.org