An interesting map

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

An interesting map

Post by alice »

This might be a fun thing for people who aren't satisfied with a single conlang but have to have families and subfamilies of them.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: An interesting map

Post by hwhatting »

Thanks for posting that!
Of course, what I really would want is the data base they used to construct this map... ;-)

garysk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by garysk »

Very interesting map. I wonder what units the "lexical distances" are measured in. Too bad it is so euro-centric.
(Avatar is an electric motor consisting of a bit of wire, a couple of paper clips,
two neodymium magnets, and a pair of AA batteries. A very cute demo of
minimal technology, and likewise completely useless for any practical purpose.)

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

garysk wrote:Too bad it is so euro-centric.
Well it's a map of only Europe, what were you expecting?

garysk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by garysk »

It would be interesting to see it encompass more than just Europe, that's all. I realize that is a tall order, but still...
(Avatar is an electric motor consisting of a bit of wire, a couple of paper clips,
two neodymium magnets, and a pair of AA batteries. A very cute demo of
minimal technology, and likewise completely useless for any practical purpose.)

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Their method almost certainly relies on the knowledge of language families, which makes it a very tall order.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote:Of course, what I really would want is the data base they used to construct this map... ;-)
You're one of the few here who could make use of it. Apparently the source is Ukrainian.

Frankly, their methodology seems sketchy to me even at first pass. Look at the supposed distance between Occitan and Catalan. And the arrangement of the Celtic languages makes no sense to me whatsoever.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I find it neither impressive nor accurate.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

linguoboy wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Of course, what I really would want is the data base they used to construct this map... ;-)
You're one of the few here who could make use of it. Apparently the source is Ukrainian.

Frankly, their methodology seems sketchy to me even at first pass. Look at the supposed distance between Occitan and Catalan. And the arrangement of the Celtic languages makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I notice there's no actual line between Occitan and Catalan - maybe they didn't directly compare them, for some reason, or their relative position had to be ignored for graphical clarity?

What's odd about the celtic languages? I know etymology isn't everything, but wouldn't you expect the goidelic and brythonic languages to cluster together in this way?
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:What's odd about the celtic languages? I know etymology isn't everything, but wouldn't you expect the goidelic and brythonic languages to cluster together in this way?
Irish not connected to anything non-Celtic (such as English) while Scottish-Gaelic is linked to Galician? Breton linked to Basque?

For the life of me I can't figure out what methodology would produce results like that.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I also that Estonian is also lexically closer to Finnish than English is to Nynorsk, while the Baltic languages would be farther away from each other. What standard are they using to determine lexical relatedness in the first place? I went to the blog that made this map:
Alternative Transport wrote:Finally, a note on the lines that link the different language bubbles. If you look at the Germanic branch then you notice that there are links placed between English and every other Germanic language except for Swedish. Same can be observed by larger languages in Romance or Slavic. A missing line between two languages does not mean that there is no link between them; it just means that the lexical distance between these two languages has not been researched yet. Thus, for example the link between Albanian and Serbian or German and French is real but not shown.
The map is based on one by a Ukranian professor of linguistics, Konstantin Tishchenko, as well as another translation of the map into English.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Also, I don't believe that no one researched the lexicon similarities between French and German.
kårroť