Help transcribing Amharic lyrics (Idan Rachel - Mimaamakim)

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Help transcribing Amharic lyrics (Idan Rachel - Mimaamakim)

Post by Ser »

Since three years ago I've been interested in making a lyric video for Idan Raichel's song Mima'amakim (ממעמקים) to put it on YouTube, and I would love to have somebody's help transcribing and translating the two Amharic parts of the song.

Here's a link to the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSJVsphUnY
The Amharic parts are located at 0:10 (right off the beginning: nanu nanu ney...), and at 3:08 .

Thanks to a user from another forum, I already happen to have a very accurate transcription and translation of the Hebrew lines, in this format:
  • ממעמקים קראתי אלייך בואי אלי
    Mima'amakim kara'ti elayich bo'i elay
    From deep depths I called to you to come to me
You don't need to provide me with a romanization though (the middle line), as I think I could figure that out off the Amharic script. But I would love a transcription in script (ፊደል) and a translation into English. The transcription is the more important part, as I could pay somebody to do the translation.

Somebody in the comments provided a translation for the first Amharic lyrics at 0:10, if it helps you getting started (the romanization given seems quite off though) (said person also omitted the second lyrics entirely):
  • I have an affair/business with you.
    We asked her to fry the barley after washing it. She is the country girl that is stirring it. (sexual connotation here)
    We are both kids, but they tell us to get married. Who is going to fetch us the one hanging out of reach. (sexual connotation here as well)
Thanks! Even a referral to somebody outside the ZBB would help (I'm also trying to get this done elsewhere anyway).

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: Help transcribing Amharic lyrics (Idan Rachel - Mimaamak

Post by Ser »

I was successful at finding someone to transcribe (and translate) the Amharic lyrics.

And now here's the lyric video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5WVnZChMQ

Do you guys think the font size is a little too small? I could make it bigger...