[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - English help needed

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: English help needed
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 am 
Smeric
Smeric

My most recent quiz:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

There are other slang expressions for TV, like "the tube" or "the idiot box", which would be a pretty obvious translation. Don't know if people actually say that - or, maybe the relevant question is, did say that in 2005.

I think the present tense is pretty unusual in Swedish too. Can't imagine there would be much of a difference there. It feels more... immediate, direct, real, less like storytelling? Much like Swedish TV, I guess. Less theatrical.

Whew, at this rate it'll take you a while to do the whole book.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Helps sounded better.
Also, "Food is ready" is a common idiom in English that makes sense to use in a book (especially in dialogue).

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:53 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:20 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

It's done in America all the time.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:04 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:42 am 
Smeric
Smeric

My most recent quiz:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:09 am 
Smeric
Smeric

When it is plural, it means the Internet. I've never heard "the tube" referring to TV, but I have heard the idiot box (although very rarely, entirely in derogatory humour).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:29 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Taisc mach Daró

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

IMD, just a plain "Dinner!", "Lunch!", or "Food!" is an acceptable (if extremely casual) way to let people know a meal is ready. So are "Dinner's ready!" and "Lunch's ready!"

However, to my ear, yelling "Food's ready!" sounds just a tad off, though I know I've heard it/said it. I agree that it's reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:01 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Thanks for the replies everyone! I decided to decline the job offer. :/ It turned out that it would take me at least three months to translate the whole book, and the pay I was offered was not reasonable in the least. :( I hope this guy gets his business running so he can hire me for real sometime in the future.

My most recent quiz:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

There are a number of other words in English that seem to require etymological restoration of /l/: fault, vault, cauldron, falcon. It doesn't seem too improbable to me, considering the more recent apparent restoration for many American English speakers of /l/ in words like psalm, palm, balm, calm. (I guess it seems possible to imagine that this was a retention, based on some minority of l-retainers who recently grew in influence, rather than a restoration, but I don't know of any evidence for this: as far as I know influence from the spelling seems the most likely cause.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:25 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Is "bint" ever used on its own? I've only seen it in combinations such as "daft bint", "posh bint" etc, do people say something like "I saw some bint on the bus stop... [whatever]"?!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:35 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

"Bint" is a word that I can't define at all, but associate with British English. I don't know that I've ever heard an American say it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:35 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul