Quick quiz

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Quick quiz

Post by alice »

What sets Irish, Icelandic, Czech, Slovak, and Hungarian aside from all other European languages (except any I've forgotten :-) ) How long did it take you to work it out?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Quick quiz

Post by hwhatting »

If I got it right, less than a minute:
More: show
Using an acute to indicate vowel length.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I was puzzled by the question (I fail hard at ZBB quizzes in general). Czech and Slovak don't strike me as particularly unique among European languages. But if that's the answer, then the same is also true of Scottish Gaelic.
More: show
Also, isn't stress correlated with vowel length, i.e. don't stressed syllables also tend to have longer vowels?
In that case, then it's also Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan...

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Vijay wrote:I was puzzled by the question (I fail hard at ZBB quizzes in general). Czech and Slovak don't strike me as particularly unique among European languages. But if that's the answer, then the same is also true of Scottish Gaelic.
No, it's not.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote:
Vijay wrote:I was puzzled by the question (I fail hard at ZBB quizzes in general). Czech and Slovak don't strike me as particularly unique among European languages. But if that's the answer, then the same is also true of Scottish Gaelic.
No, it's not.
Okay, how do you explain this then?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Vijay wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
No, it's not.
I guess I'm not extraordinarily widely versed in Scottish Gaelic, but I've never seen it written with anything but grave accents before. :?

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote:
Vijay wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
No, it's not.
I guess I'm not extraordinarily widely versed in Scottish Gaelic, but I've never seen it written with anything but grave accents before. :?
I'm not and I haven't, either, but there it is.

To be fair, I was probably wrong. :) Still, I don't know why that link says that. Maybe it's vandalism or something. Idk.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Vijay wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
Vijay wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
No, it's not.
I'm not and I haven't, either, but there it is.

To be fair, I was probably wrong. :) Still, I don't know why that link says that. Maybe it's vandalism or something. Idk.
This sheds some light on the mystery.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

HA! Canadian Gaelic! So I was right! I just didn't identify the dialect correctly. And it probably isn't used that often in that dialect either. :P :P

But seriously, thanks! :)