Conlangery Print Resource List

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Alexi
Niš
Niš

Conlangery Print Resource List

Post by Alexi »

Because of the ubiquity of the Internet, and the speed at which it provides access to information, it is often easy to overlook print media. However, there is a great deal of excellent material that is not available via the Internet. Some works that come to mind are:

Linguistics and Language: A Survey of Basic Concepts and Implications. Falk, Julia. (John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1978)
The Language Construction Kit. Rosenfelder, Mark. (Yongu Books, 2010)
Advanced Language Construction. Rosenfelder, Mark (Yongu Books, 2012)
The Conlanger's Lexipedia. Rosenfelder, Mark (Yongu Books, 2013)
Phonetics for Dummies Katz, William F. (John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2013)
The Art of Language Construction Peterson, David J. (Penguin Books, 2015)

What should we add to this list?

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Conlangery Print Resource List

Post by Soap »

Only print book I've ever read cover-to-cover is A First Dictionary and Grammar of Láadan: a language created for women for expressing the female perspective. by Suzette Haden Elgin, which I bought in 1999 or 2000. It is not the same dictionary and grammar that's online in various places across the Internet. It's good because, besides learning another conlang, it provides ideas for one's own languages in an easy to understand way. She based the language largely on Navajo for both phonology and grammar, and what's not similar to Navajo is totally unlike any Earth language I'm familiar with, and maybe unlike any Earth languages at all. After all, the thesis that led her to create Láadan was that all languages on the entire planet were biased in favor of a male perspective, and only a language made by an all-female cooperative (though mostly by S.H.E. herself) could free the people, both male and female, from that patriarchal bias.

(And yes ... *blush* ... I'm a man. As apparently the majority of Láadan fans are. Something about the whole "This is by women, for women. Only." setup makes it absolutely irresistible to a certain segment of the male population)

The creator passed away a few years ago, and the book is now out of print, but not to worry! It can be yours for the low, low, price of .... dont miss this once-in-a-lifetime bargain, folks! .... *** $4,256.02! ***

Plus shipping and handling.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Print Resource List

Post by Jonlang »

David Salo's A Gateway to Sindarin is a very good grammar of Tolkien's Sindarin language (y'know... the Elvish spoken in The Lord of the Rings). It is, however, a grammar of his Neo-Sindarin used for the movies, but regardless of that, it's a very good document of a conlang. - especially for people interested in sound symbolism. I haven't looked at it in a long time and there may be a newer edition of it by now.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.