Two questions about Welsh

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Two questions about Welsh

Post by alice »

1. Does /f/ have any sources other than loanwords and aspirate mutation of /p/?

2. How well would it work without mutations?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Two questions about Welsh

Post by Dewrad »

alice wrote:1. Does /f/ have any sources other than loanwords and aspirate mutation of /p/?
At least two other sources:

Proto-Celtic *sφ (< PIE *sp) ffêr < *sφerā
Proto-Celtic initial *s before before *r ffroen < *srognā
2. How well would it work without mutations?
Hm. Not all that badly, I think.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Šọ̈́gala
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Šọ̈́gala »

Yeah, e.g. the loanwords, of which I suppose they have plenty, don't normally do mutations, right? One could do a study to determine whether the presence of those words causes some kind of practical problems for the speakers. I'm guessing no.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Losing the mutations would cause basically no problems per se. They rarely occur independently in any case, and there are only a handful of cases where they mark some kind of distinction (e.g. between two homophones).
Yeah, e.g. the loanwords, of which I suppose they have plenty, don't normally do mutations, right? One could do a study to determine whether the presence of those words causes some kind of practical problems for the speakers. I'm guessing no.
No, most loanwords do mutate with the exception of those beginning with g - even relatively ad-hoc ones (e.g. dy blaysuit for 'your playsuit') and ones that begin with non-native clusters (tships > djips). Also, foreign placenames (including English ones) are variably mutated, and names are not mutated at all.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar