"You can't eat your cake and have it too".

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Fooge
Sanci
Sanci

"You can't eat your cake and have it too".

Post by Fooge »

This is the original expression and the one that makes sense. You can't eat your cake and still have it. The nonsensical "you can't have your cake and eat it too" has become more common.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: "You can't eat your cake and have it too".

Post by mèþru »

The new phrasing still allows for the original meaning to be a valid interpretation. Just not an intuitive one.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Wikipedia says both forms have been around for c. 500 years... I think that, though illogical, I prefer the eat>have orientation because it puts the action verb... Which determines the meaning of the whole idiom ......last.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

'Have food' means the same thing as 'eat food' (eg. 'We're having cake for dessert.').

'You can't have (=eat) your cake and eat it too' is as sensical as it gets.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

"You can't eat your cake and have it too" doesn't quite work out semantically for me, at least - in particular, "and have it too" doesn't mean "still possess a cake" to me, that'd be "and still have it"

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The modern phrasing isn't illogical. "And" does not always imply chronological order— if I eat fish and chips, it doesn't mean I eat the fish, then the chips.

It is a weird expression, because cakes aren't normally something you keep without ever eating. It might make more sense as something like "You can't keep a coin and spend it too."