16th C Spanish and Nahuatl

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

16th C Spanish and Nahuatl

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Reading about Classical Nahuatl, I can mostly understand why the system developed by Spaniards to transcribe it looks the way it does except in one detail: Why did they choose to write the Nahuatl phoneme which I am pretty sure is standard [s] as either <z> or <c>? What was going on with Spanish at that time that this was the most logical way of writing down the phoneme [s]? Didn't contemporary Castilian have it?

It's also interesting to me that 16th century Castilian /ʃ/ apparently → modern /x/ or /h/, but I guess a change like that makes sense to me.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: 16th C Spanish and Nahuatl

Post by Sumelic »

Not all [s]'s are actually the same. I don't remember the phonetic details or which types of [s] Nahuatl and Spanish have, but e.g. in present-day Basque the letters "s" and "z" are used to write two different kinds of [s]-like sounds.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I remember that 16th-century Castilian had a distinction between apical and laminal /s/, orthographically indicated as <s> versus <c/z> (I do not remember which was which), and <c/z> was used to capture which of these is used to realize Nahuatl /s/. Only later was this distinction lost in Latin American Spanish, obscuring the reasons for why Nahuatl was written with <c/z> rather than <s> for /s/.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Sumelic wrote:Not all [s]'s are actually the same. I don't remember the phonetic details or which types of [s] Nahuatl and Spanish have, but e.g. in present-day Basque the letters "s" and "z" are used to write two different kinds of [s]-like sounds.
Those are the same ones Spanish used to have at the time.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

six?! How many damn distinct coronal fricatives does one language need?!

Anyway, thanks.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ »

So Haleza Grise wrote:six?! How many damn distinct coronal fricatives does one language need?!
[whisper]Six is just fine for Polish, but Russian thinks it's not enough and has seven or sometimes eight. Don't even ask the Caucasians, some people can't probably count up to these numbers.[/whisper]
In Budapest:
- Hey mate, are you hung-a-ry?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

One of those Caucasian languages, Ubykh, had 14. The language is extinct.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť