[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Occurrence of spelling pronunciations

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:03 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

They seem to occur mostly in words which are often learned first in reading. For instance, "kiln" is a word that's commonly first encountered in reading and so commonly has a spelling pronunciation with a sounded "n". However that's not always the case. "often" and "clothes" have spelling pronunciations with a sounded "t" and sounded "th" for many speakers and those aren't words that people learn from reading.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:59 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:53 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I associate them with grade school art class...

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

What kind of hippy-ass grade school did you go to?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

lol, it was a very small conservative rural school in Michigan. Not a lot of hippies in sight! We did ceramics in both middle and high school art classes, it was a lot of fun.

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My private primary school had a kiln. Clay was one of my favourite art thingies; my parents still have a couple mini sculptures of mine at their place. I don't know how normal that is here though. I never did art at secondary school but as far as I know there was no kiln there.

Here's a .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:56 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

What Wikipedia says is that it wasn't an innovation. Instead, /n/ at the end of kiln is an innovation as it had already been elided previously.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I stand corrected inside a kiln:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I remember learning the word kiln in primary school. The school didn't have one, but at some point we made clay thingies that got sent to a kiln to be kilned in the kiln. It was kind of dumb because even though we were told to avoid air bubbles or thick parts, we were kids, so of course some people's things exploded and because they were all in the kiln together, kilning together, the shrapnel destroyed even well-made stuff so we basically got a whole lot of clay shards back. My high school art department had a kiln too.

Anyway, the main thing I remember was that most of us had problems with the /ln/ cluster. When speaking English normally, I definitely vocalise that /l/... I think I do in "film" too, even though that isn't nearly as difficult. Anyway, now I speak German, so I have enough /ln/ to get good at it.

Does anyone know of another English word with /ln/ in a coda? I can only think of the name Milne.

Also, any idea why the t is so often pronounced in "often" but basically never in thistle, castle, listen, fasten, mustn't? Is it that the FRICATIVE /t/ SCHWA /l/n/ thingy didn't happen as widespreadly with /f/ as with /s/ and held on in some dialects to respread, or there some reason that makes "often" a better candidate to pick up a spelling pronunciation?

Off topic: And why the hell isn't widespreadly a commonly used word? I can't remember what I'm supposed to say prescriptively without resorting to a longer phrase.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Just saying "widely" is clear in context, I think.sorry can't comment on the rest of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:55 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:40 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord