zompist bboard

WE ARE MOVING - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

How would the line of the children's song "I like to ite, ite, ite iples and banienies" be pronounced in a Canadian raising dialect?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My immediate reaction is for it to rhyme with "write"--i.e., /ɐɪ/ or whatever. (I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift so I don't know if that's what it is for people without the NCVS)

But the whole point of the song is to pronounce the words with as many varied vowel sounds as you can come up with, so it's plausible that someone might say it either with or without the raising... or even sing it both ways. I don't think there's a single "correct" way, because that song doesn't have a fixed set of vowels it's sung with. (or at least it didn't when I sang it as a kid. We just did as many verses for as many vowels as we could think of. If it had occurred to us that /aɪ/ and /ɐɪ/ were different sounds, we well could have sung it both ways. I dunno.)

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

My first instinct is to go with {b@'nVi.nai} which means that all of the vowels in the line except the last one are raised. But most people wouldn't notice the difference.

I'm in New England, where Canadian raising is in effect, but not to the schwa vowel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

The variation of the song I'm used to has [pɘ̃ːˈnẽːnes].

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Except for the vowel in "to" and the first syllable in "banana" I pronounce them all with the PRICE vowel. Of course, due to raising, the actual realization of this vowel varies between ite/iple and banainai, but it is fully allophonic, and the majority of people with raising are not consciously aware that they're doing it.