Should "aviophobia" actually refer to fear of birds, not fly

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Fooge
Sanci
Sanci

Should "aviophobia" actually refer to fear of birds, not fly

Post by Fooge »

From Wikipedia:
I manually moved the stuff over from aviophobia to here because fear of flying already had a history. I pointed out that aviophobia is 1)not plain English, 2)two syllables longer than fear of flying, 3)a terribly constructed, illegitimate Greek-Latin hybrid, 4)a word that (ignoring the poor construction) means "Fear of Birds". Aviophobia simply isn't a legitimate word--it's not even in the OED.
Should "aviophobia" actually refer to a fear of birds instead of a fear of flying?

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Should "aviophobia" actually refer to fear of birds, not

Post by alynnidalar »

"Should" is such a tiresome word when it comes to language. There's no obligation for a word or phrase to have any particular meaning. The question is what aviophobia actually means--that is, what people use it to mean. If people use it to mean "fear of flying", then that's what it means. If people start using it to mean "a very small dog", well, that might be mildly confusing at first, but that'd be what it meant.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I'm with alynnidalar - there is no such thing as "should" when it comes to languages.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Fear of birds is already documented on Wikipedia as ornithophobia, and that word likely will remain supreme. I would've gone with something like "pterophobia" for fear of flying, but perhaps that sounds too ambiguous with "teraphobia", a hypothetical word for fear of monsters?
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Fooge
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Fooge »

Wiktionary says that "aviophobia" perhaps comes from Frence "avion" whereas dictionary.com says that "aviophobia" perhaps comes from "aviation".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aviophobia

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/aviophobia?s=t

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Soap wrote:I would've gone with something like "pterophobia" for fear of flying
Why, what's your reasoning?

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Pterophobia sounds to me like a fear of wings ... like, a friend of mine is not exactly afraid of bird except for when they flap near her.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC