zompist bboard

a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How secure is the ZBB?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 am 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Am I the only one who gets warned about the connection being insecure when I log in?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

alice wrote:
Am I the only one who gets warned about the connection being insecure when I log in?

When i log in through a Chromebook it does, but when I'm at home on my laptop and using chrome there it doesn't.

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 am 
Smeric
Smeric

alice wrote:
Nope. Although It only started happening yesterday, when I upgraded to the latest version of Firefox.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

mèþru wrote:
alice wrote:
Nope. Although It only started happening yesterday, when I upgraded to the latest version of Firefox.

The same happened to me. Updated Firefox, and the warnings began to appear. It is apparently nothing else than a new security feature of Firefox.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 am 
Smeric
Smeric

WeepingElf wrote:
mèþru wrote:
alice wrote:

The same happened to me. Updated Firefox, and the warnings began to appear. It is apparently nothing else than a new security feature of Firefox.

I get the warning using Chrome on a desktop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 am 
Smeric
Smeric

In addition to Firefox on Windows, I also use a Chromebook. I don't get any warnings on it.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:24 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

They must have recently removed a root certificate used by Firefox and Chrome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

The ZBB doesn't even use HTTPS, so it's as insecure as it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:48 pm 
Osän
Osän

i spose its cause the browser detects a password login screen that's not behind htpps, which it reasonably suspects *could* be physhing. i've grown so accustomed to the little i in a circle up there that its become part of the landscape.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 am 
Smeric
Smeric

alice wrote:

You are not the only one, and it's because the connection is, duh, insecure.

Which means, among others, that when logging in while using wi-fi, anyone (within the same network) can see your password.

jak było chujowo w dwudziestym pierwszym wieku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:08 am 
Osän
Osän

ah, yes: don't use your bank or email password for internet forums. it's generally advisable to at least have two passwords, one for high security stuff like your gmail account and whatever, and another for stuff you don't mind getting hacked so much.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Even better: have a different password for everything you do. A password manager (I like 1Password) can help you keep track of them.

I wouldn't mind this site transitioning to HTTPS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:13 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

This site suggests that making phpBB use SSL is pretty easy:

http://www.fastcomet.com/tutorials/phpbb3/enabling-ssl

That would encrypt passwords, but not (I think) make the URL into https.

Would that be a good move?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:33 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Protecting even just the passwords would be a positive move, as it would keep people from skimming off the passwords and attempting to use them on other sites (as we all share passwords amongst different sites, do we?); there conversely is little need to make the body of the ZBB encrypted, because of course anyone can read the site without logging in, and the only thing that would really gain any security are PMs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:08 pm 
Osän
Osän

Axiem wrote:
Even better: have a different password for everything you do. A password manager (I like 1Password) can help you keep track of them.

I wouldn't mind this site transitioning to HTTPS.

yeah, well, sure, and we should all floss three times a day and eat a lot more vegetables than we do

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:19 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Travis B. wrote:
Protecting even just the passwords would be a positive move, as it would keep people from skimming off the passwords and attempting to use them on other sites (as we all share passwords amongst different sites, do we?); there conversely is little need to make the body of the ZBB encrypted, because of course anyone can read the site without logging in, and the only thing that would really gain any security are PMs.

Putting the whole site under HTTPS wouldn't particularly be any more secure, no, but it would provide an element of privacy in terms of browsing habits. Currently, my ISP (and anyone who owns network hardware 'twixt my computer and the server) can see the full URL of every thing I look at. Under HTTPS, they would only know that I'm hitting the domain, with no further insight into what exactly is going on in terms of reading/posting.

For a hobby sort of thing like this, it's probably harmless to have that information known (and potentially sold), though I tend to be on the side of "the principle of the matter" on this one. Besides, I set up Let's Encrypt on my domains and the whole process took something like 5 minutes (at least, through Dreamhost); YMMV.

And no, I don't share passwords amongst different sites. I haven't since even before I started using 1Password with my spouse a couple of years ago; prior to that, I had a "password generation algorithm" if you will, where the password was based on the name of the site. So for example, my Amazon password might be something like "Pass12MAZ34word", where the "MAZ" are the 2nd through 4th letters of the site in question.

That said, 1Password has been nothing but fantastic. And their Families/Teams offerings are incredibly useful at home and at work, respectively.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:03 am 
Šriftom
Šriftom

You obviously haven't tried accessing sites from multiple computers, where you may not own all of them. I am not going to try on some password management tool that needs to be installed on every device I use, including my work computer, where technically I should not be installing software (even though everyone does it anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:44 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

That's why I have 1Password on my phone: so when I use a computer that isn't mine (like everything at work, because we pair and swap around), I still have my passwords there for reference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

zompist wrote:
This site suggests that making phpBB use SSL is pretty easy:

http://www.fastcomet.com/tutorials/phpbb3/enabling-ssl

That would encrypt passwords, but not (I think) make the URL into https.

Would that be a good move?
No, it doesn't do shit by itself. If you turn that on, browsers won't send cookies unless the whole site is served over HTTPS, which means people won't be able to stay logged in. Passwords will still be sent in plaintext.

You need to get the hosting to serve the site over HTTPS (you can use Let's Encrypt to get a free cert), and then turn that setting on.

Axiem wrote:
Putting the whole site under HTTPS wouldn't particularly be any more secure, no, but it would provide an element of privacy in terms of browsing habits. Currently, my ISP (and anyone who owns network hardware 'twixt my computer and the server) can see the full URL of every thing I look at.
And steal the session cookies, and your ZBB password. Sure, if you don't reuse passwords, your accounts on other sites won't be affected, but your ISP can still give that password to Eddy.