zompist bboard

WE ARE MOVING - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:51 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Raphael wrote:
Is the word "Catholic", in the English language, usually stressed on the first or the second syllable? I'm pretty sure I've heard both versions. (Although in Every Sperm is Sacred, the stress is on the first. But that may or may not be a requirement of the tune.)

Cátholic but Cathólicism, which might be where you think you're hearing stress on the second syllable.

(like phótograph / photógraphy)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:58 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Just need some advice on my current path in life. Right now, I am thirty years old and I have been wanting to move across the country for years. Considering that my life is almost half over, would you say that I am too old to move at this point?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

No.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:49 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

gone

Last edited by cromulant on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I am 22 and now I am laying on a bed with my laptop and browsing reddit, when I could be going on a bender, doing drugs or having unprotected sex.

What am I doing with my life?

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:58 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Not being a moron?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Actually, going by The Pole's avatar image, he would be a moron not to go out on benders, drug-fuelled road trips, and orgies; he's gonna get labelled with that kind of thing anyway ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:33 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Well, you can have safe orgies! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

malloc wrote:
Just need some advice on my current path in life. Right now, I am thirty years old and I have been wanting to move across the country for years. Considering that my life is almost half over, would you say that I am too old to move at this point?

If your life is "almost half over", then it's not even half started. And if you're worried you're "getting too old to do things" (you're not), then the sooner you do it the better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Vijay wrote:
Not being a moron?

But it's the time of my life when being a moron is socially acceptable!

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:10 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

vampyre_smiles wrote:
If your life is "almost half over", then it's not even half started. And if you're worried you're "getting too old to do things" (you're not), then the sooner you do it the better.

But most people I know have already established themselves in their twenties, already owning their own homes and starting families. And in less than ten years, I will be middle-aged.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:59 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

malloc wrote:
vampyre_smiles wrote:

But most people I know have already established themselves in their twenties, already owning their own homes and starting families. And in less than ten years, I will be middle-aged.

You were asking about moving and doing things, not starting a family/settling down, so I can't help you except for offering the anecdotal evidence that if you're already meeting new people because you moved, you're more likely to meet someone to date who hasn't settled down themselves yet, if everyone you know has.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Quote:

I'm in my twenties and I far from establishing myself, let alone having a family and/or house.

Is creating a profile on Fetlife a good first step before finding an orgy?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Pole, the wrote:
Vijay wrote:
Not being a moron?

But it's the time of my life when being a moron is socially acceptable!

Nuh-uh, that period ended twenty years ago. ;)
Quote:
malloc wrote:

I'm in my twenties and I far from establishing myself, let alone having a family and/or house.

I'm almost 29 and don't even have a job at the moment, let alone establish myself (what does that even mean? Pick a permanent career or what?) or have a house. I definitely want a family much later than a house.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

malloc is Eddy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:10 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

You are Secretariat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

You are Clever Hans.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I'm a dog's dinner!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

cromulant wrote:
malloc is Eddy.

Then why won't my compiler accept "void *p = Eddy(sizeof object)"?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

cromulant wrote:
malloc is Eddy.

oh for fuck's sake...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 am 
Smeric
Smeric

finlay wrote:
cromulant wrote:
malloc is Eddy.

oh for fuck's sake...
What is going on? Who is Eddy? Why is it important that malloc is one and the same as him?

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 am 
Sanno
Sanno

He spent nearly fifteen years making that post, again and again, in various varieties. Entire threads were dedicated to dealing with him. There were big arguments.

But, to clarify, WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT EDDY.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Gott in himmel...

You know how weak-brained conservatives are always complaining about the "everyone gets prizes" culture in which kids are always told they're right and protected from any sort of criticism?

Turns out they're right. In one case, at least.

See, here, our last Education Secretary, Michael "everyone agrees he's a colossal tosser and everybody hates him" Gove (this being before he stabbed his friend Boris in the back in a failed attempt to stab Theresa in the back and himself got stabbed in the back in turn), decided that educational standards were slipping. He worried that it wasn't actually true that, as official results show, schoolkids have gotten smarter every single year without exception for the last thirty years.

[statistically, a student who got a C-grade in 1986, when they introduced grade inflation, would now get an A*, the highest possible grade, at A-level (the 18-year-olds qualification), while a "failed" U student would now be a "good" B student. Studies suggest actual ability and knowledge have not increased. It's no mystery why this is: the government has for a long time punished schools for not getting high enough grades; at the same time, because the private market is the priority, schools are allowed to pick which exams to give their students, from those offered by a range of different companies. Companies whose exams are hard sell fewer exams, because schools are paid by how many people pass the exams, so pick the easiest exam in each subject. The only thing keeping grades from rising stupidly is Ofqual, the quango in charge of regulating the system, who allegedly make sure the exam boards aren't dumbing down TOO much.]

Right. So, Gove, partly out of reactionary fear of the everyone-wins culture, and partly out of a legitimate worry that English exams (which are exported around the world) were losing prestige relative to other exams (making it harder to sell our exams abroad, and making it harder for locals with local exam results to compete in Uni entrance with foreign students with more prestigious exams), and partly responding to pressure from Unis (who say that having everyone get the top grades makes it hard to pick the best students, which in turn means that entrance to the best Unis will be more swayed by class and money and connexions than it would be with a more meritocratic exam system), decided: exams must be harder.

It was generally well-received in principle, though many parts of the reforms were controversial (like, removing mention of American literature, or shifting back to putting almost everything in a single end-of-course exam instead of modules taken across two years).

However, now there's worry that making the exams harder might mean that the rate of people getting the top grade might fall. And while the government wants this, someone has taken a stand: Ofqual. Yes, the organisation whose job it is to stop exams getting too easy has stepped in to undo the government's reforms. And not subtly! Instead, it's flatly decreed that across all exam boards the grade boundaries will simply be reduced.

Well, that's a weird thing. But, hey, I'm sure they have their reasons. In particular, there are going to be legitimate problems around our insane university admission system (you apply before you sit the exam, so the university gives you a conditional entry providing you get certain exam results eventually; in this case, if everyone the Unis want had been going to get AAA, but now get ABB because the exams are harder, then lots of kids will be heartbroken, and the Unis will be fucked because they won't have enough students this year).

But then Ofqual explained their reasoning and it's... it's... it is literally impossible to distinguish from parody. If this came out on the 1st of April, you wouldn't know whether it was a joke or not. It's taking the most extreme, delusional Daily Mail stereotype of "woolly-minded liberals", and taking it as a challenge. It's astonishing.

This, remember, is from the head of the organisation whose job it is to maintain examination standards. She said:
I want the message to be that students have done fantastically well. All our kids are brilliant. From my point of view the most important thing for our students [about the examination system] is that they get the praise they deserve[...] and we are not detracting from that.

Gott in himmel....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:33 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Minor correction: It's Gott im Himmel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:50 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Raphael wrote:
Minor correction: It's Gott im Himmel.

Hmm. Well, I'm certainly not going with that capital H - we don't usually capitalise nouns in English, and I don't think I treat 'himmel' as a proper noun. Giving it a capital would just be an over-pedantic etymological spelling. Regarding 'im' vs 'in', wiktionary only gives the "in" form - but, to be fair, they do have the "im" form as a German expression, and maybe they just treat the "im" form in English as a momentary code-switching into German. However, I really do think I usually hear "in" - maybe just misborrowing from the German source, or maybe something like anomolous disimilation due to the /m/ in "himmel". Or maybe I'm mishearing it. I'll try to pay attention in future to how people really say it in English.

But thanks for the reminder about German cases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 105  Next