Odd selection of languages?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Odd selection of languages?

Post by marconatrix »

Not sure where this post really belongs, it's kinda WTF?

I recently went to a Scots Gaelic site I'd got bookmarked but hadn't looked at for a while and got an automated message to say the site was down for maintenance. It was in six languages. Hmm, the six keltic tongues maybe? No. Some of those plus English and French? No. Languages of folks likely to be studying SG, i.e. major european languages like German, French, Dutch maybe? No. Main languages used in Scotland, e.g. English, Scots, Gaelic, Polish, Italian, Panjabi, Urdu ... ? No. Major world languages, which I suppose are English, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Russian ... ? No.

Actually : English, Spanish, Thai (!!!), Portugese, Tagalog (!!), and Hindi (!)

I assume there's some sort of logic at work here, anyone have any idea?
We are making some updates to the site. We'll be back soon, thanks for your patience.
Estamos haciendo algunos cambios a la página. Estaremos de vuelta pronto, gracias por su paciencia.
เรามีการปรับปรุงบางเว็บไซต์ เราจะกลับมาเร็ว ๆ นี้ขอบคุณสำหรับความอดทนของคุณ
Estamos fazendo algumas atualizações para o site. Estaremos de volta em breve, obrigado por sua paciência.
Kami ay gumawa ng ilang mga update sa site. Kami ay bumalik sa lalong madaling panahon, salamat sa iyong pasensya.
हम कुछ अद्यतन साइट के लिए कर रहे हैं. हम जल्द ही वापस हो सकता है, आपके धैर्य के लिए धन्यवाद करेंगे.
Kyn nag ov den skentel pur ...

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Odd selection of languages?

Post by hwhatting »

Maybe those are languages used at the ISP hosting the website, or at the company that does the site design?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Could it be the same reason APOD has a Mongolian translation but none in any Slavic languages written in Cyrillic besides Russian -- that is, that those are the languages they found people willing to translate the site into?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

im betting on hwhatting being right. Surely a Gaelic site, even if it's for learners, would at LEAST know how to translate their own messages into Gaelic? On the other hand the Talagog one is incomplete, unless they just use loans for thsoe words.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

My first guess was that the ISP was somewhere in SE Asia, e.g. Phillipines, but then Tai is a little odd, and Hindi, unless they get a lot of migrant workers from India. But why no Malay? And if the Tagalog is incomplete/incorrect that wouldn't fit anyway.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Soap wrote:im betting on hwhatting being right. Surely a Gaelic site, even if it's for learners, would at LEAST know how to translate their own messages into Gaelic? On the other hand the Talagog one is incomplete, unless they just use loans for thsoe words.
My limited knowledge of Tagalog suggests that they probably are loanwords. It seems to happen an awful lot, and they just keep the English spelling.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

marconatrix wrote:My first guess was that the ISP was somewhere in SE Asia, e.g. Phillipines, but then Tai is a little odd, and Hindi, unless they get a lot of migrant workers from India. But why no Malay? And if the Tagalog is incomplete/incorrect that wouldn't fit anyway.
Maybe it's even somewhere in the U.S. and that's just the languages their employees speak (all those Asian IT drones)? No system, just accident?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Is the site run on Wordpress?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

Seems to be hosted in California :

https://dazzlepod.com/ip/208.82.16.68/

But putting the numbers into the browser gets you :
Maintenance
Veuillez nous excuser pour le désagrément occasionné, mais Réseau Underground Musiques Indépendantes est actuellement en cours de maintenance.
The site I was looking for is/was :

http://abairthusa.co.uk/profiles/blogs/ ... n-na-halba

Btw is "under maintenance" good English in the US? Or just a mistake for "undergoing ..." ??

installer_swan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by installer_swan »

हम कुछ अद्यतन साइट के लिए कर रहे हैं. हम जल्द ही वापस हो सकता है, आपके धैर्य के लिए धन्यवाद करेंगे.
To make it worse the Hindi text is quite ungrammatical and looks machine translated. So no native Hindi speaker ever saw that message. The English, Spanish, Hindi led me to believe maybe someone just picked most populopus languages but then where's Mandarin, Russian and Arabic. And Tagalog?? I'd say someone just machine translated stuff for teh lulz.
..- ... ..- --.- .. .-. --- -..-