Conlanging Software Wish List

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
pdusen
Niš
Niš

Conlanging Software Wish List

Post by pdusen »

Hi all,

I'm a software developer who would like to (in my spare time, of course) create a large-scale web application to support conlanging. Some ideas I've had for features, off the top of my head, include

* Public/Private languages
* Sound Inventory (for each language)
* Language Families
* A uniform sound change applier (for language families)
* Lexicon

However, while I find conlanging fascinating, I'm at best a rank amateur. So let me ask you, the professionals; what sort of functionality would you look for in conlanging software? What features would appeal to you?

Patrick

TheWeaver
Niš
Niš

Re: Conlanging Software Wish List

Post by TheWeaver »

I'm an shiny new amateur as well, but I suppose language feature-filtering/sorting would be great to find examples of how others used/coped with certain features. As in, filtering by morphosyntactic alignment, word order, etc. Would be great for data mining as well, I'd think.

Valkura
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Valkura »

*Premade and custom checklists for things to add to your conlang
*A word generator that has more control and is better than Zompist's (in particular, one that easily allows digraphs and uses one formula for syllable structure, and has a better save function)
*An app to create native alphabet fonts

Those are just off the top of my head.
Yeah.

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

An inflection engine, which takes into account all rules of inflection and displays various inflected forms. This engine should be capable of handling inflection with affixes, clitics, independent particles, or discontinuous morphology (infixes, stress shifts, apophony, etc.). With the same technology, a conjugation engine for verbs. By extension, a sound change applier which applies changes to inflected/conjugated forms, and displays certain averages or trends (for example, "3rd person tends to be marked with /t/ in all forms").

Automatic substitution for borrowings (for example, phoneme X in language A is rendered as phoneme Y or Z in borrowings to language B, depending on surrounding phonemes).

DePaw
Lebom
Lebom

Post by DePaw »

IPA pronouncer please. Even if it's quite rough, just to get a feel for how a word/sentence sounds.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

An automated conlang generator - what I'm envisioning here is something where you choose from various drop-down lists of features, possibly with preset examples to help out those who are a bit stuck for inspiration. Press the button, and it generates a sketch grammar, phonology and so on.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

IPA pronouncers are pipedreams IMO. that being said maybe I'm wrong and let's hope so because one would be awesome.

Syllabifiers would be pretty cool too, you know, something in which you input phonemes and it spews out the phonetic pronunciation of a word.

Etymology trackers would be cool, you know, something you can create words with, apply some sound changes from one to the next lang, and then the new words tell you stuff like "new languese bapa, to kill > from old languese baba, to hurt"

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Yng wrote:An automated conlang generator - what I'm envisioning here is something where you choose from various drop-down lists of features, possibly with preset examples to help out those who are a bit stuck for inspiration. Press the button, and it generates a sketch grammar, phonology and so on.
Something like that has been written, you could try to run that (download link is at the bottom of that post).
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

yeah I wasn't being serious jesus guys take all the fun out of conlanging why don't you
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Adjective Recoil wrote:An inflection engine, which takes into account all rules of inflection and displays various inflected forms. This engine should be capable of handling inflection with affixes, clitics, independent particles, or discontinuous morphology (infixes, stress shifts, apophony, etc.). With the same technology, a conjugation engine for verbs. By extension, a sound change applier which applies changes to inflected/conjugated forms, and displays certain averages or trends (for example, "3rd person tends to be marked with /t/ in all forms").
Something like this would probably be my most-wanted piece of software other than those which currently exist. For my own personal use at present it would only have to be able to handle affixes and wouldn't have to be able to deal with discontinuous morphology particularly, but just to be able to put in a basic form of the word and define what form I want it in would make things a lot easier than searching through inflection tables, especially in languages with lots of morphophonology or that inflect for lots of different categories with a high deal of fusion - both things I tend to avoid on account of the fact that it makes translation a lot more difficult

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Adjective Recoil wrote:An inflection engine, which takes into account all rules of inflection and displays various inflected forms. This engine should be capable of handling inflection with affixes, clitics, independent particles, or discontinuous morphology (infixes, stress shifts, apophony, etc.). With the same technology, a conjugation engine for verbs. By extension, a sound change applier which applies changes to inflected/conjugated forms, and displays certain averages or trends (for example, "3rd person tends to be marked with /t/ in all forms").

Automatic substitution for borrowings (for example, phoneme X in language A is rendered as phoneme Y or Z in borrowings to language B, depending on surrounding phonemes).
Would kill for that, many times over.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Mec has an inflection engine like that for Novegradian (for nouns I'm positive, not sure if he worked adjectives or verbs into it). Might ask him about it, maybe some effort can avoid being duplicated.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

I really like the on-the-fly mouse-over translator that lernu uses for Esperanto in their forums. It's so helpful.

I wish there were a way of calculating functional load for phonemes in a corpus and a lexicon. I can wish right?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

INFLECTER YAY

Sacemd
Lebom
Lebom
Location: The Netherworld. Or the Netherlands. Or whatever. Somewhere belowground.

Post by Sacemd »

A reverse SCA. You have a naming language, and want to make a relative, but you have no ancestor worked out.

A checklist and a conjugator would be really useful too.
Sacemd wrote:I'm merely starting this thread so I can have a funny quote in my signature.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Something this very board could use is a plugin for PHPBB that produces nicely aligned interlinear glosses. Either by using tables or by using CSS float magic.

Wqtraz
Niš
Niš

Post by Wqtraz »

*Being able to associate IPA symbols to a certain set of characters, then having it generate the IPA pronunciation automatically. I know there are sometimes irregularities, but it would help to have some base to edit.
Le wqt est un animal aquatique nocturne.

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

Jipí wrote:Something this very board could use is a plugin for PHPBB that produces nicely aligned interlinear glosses. Either by using tables or by using CSS float magic.
Yes.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Jipí wrote:Something this very board could use is a plugin for PHPBB that produces nicely aligned interlinear glosses. Either by using tables or by using CSS float magic.
make it happen, zomp

ęzo
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ęzo »

[razed and salted]
Last edited by ęzo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

An app that applies regular stress markers to wordlists before running the list through sound change appliers.
vec

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Wqt wrote:*Being able to associate IPA symbols to a certain set of characters, then having it generate the IPA pronunciation automatically. I know there are sometimes irregularities, but it would help to have some base to edit.
UIM's X-Sampa input does this already. Unless you mean the vocalization, in which case your proposal makes no sense, so I discounted that possibility.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Mh, I think s/he rather means automatic transcription. However, that's not always so easy, and English is a good example here: graphemes may have different phonemic values depending on context, sometimes unpredictably so – e.g. 〈-ough〉 in through, rough, hiccough, lough; it's also why 〈ghoti〉 can't read /fɪʃ/. I suppose the problem either needs a large ruleset or true artificial intelligence to always deliver correct results, depending on the complexity of the orthography.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

This would be awesome.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

Jipí wrote:Mh, I think s/he rather means automatic transcription. However, that's not always so easy, and English is a good example here: graphemes may have different phonemic values depending on context, sometimes unpredictably so – e.g. 〈-ough〉 in through, rough, hiccough, lough; it's also why 〈ghoti〉 can't read /fɪʃ/. I suppose the problem either needs a large ruleset or true artificial intelligence to always deliver correct results, depending on the complexity of the orthography.
Probably not so hard if your conlang's graphs are phonemic. Then you could probably just use something like text crawler.